5.0 out of 5 stars The Best Album To Get!
Published on 1 April 2002

3.0 out of 5 stars A great soother!
If you think a lot, this cd gives all of Lauryn Hill's thoughts on life in rhyme. With aspects on childhood memories, hapiness, sadness and religion. Maybe it will help you understand Miss Hill, but it certainly gets you thinking about your own life or sometimes it lets you forget your worries. In away I know it is only an album but it makes you feel stronger.
Published on 20 Jun. 2000

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best Album To Get!, 1 April 2002
By A Customer
This review is from: Miseducation Of [VINYL] (Vinyl)
Lauryn Hill's debut solo album is one of the best debut's I've ever heard. She put it all together by herself with help of additional song elements, musicians, producers and vocals the album becomes are big success! The introduction of the album gives you a rough idea of what the album is about. She talks about her reality in this album being her caring mother in "To Zion" with Carlos Santana playing the guitar. She also talks about young people and their problems in "Doo Wop (That Thing)" and "Everything Is Everything" She talks about her past "Every Ghetto, Every City" her present "The Miseducation Of Lauryn Hill" and her future in some parts of other songs. "Lost Ones" pure hip hop "Forgive Them Father" religious Jamaican song with help from "Concrete Jungle" by Bob Marley with a guest apperance by Shelly Thunder. She talks also about love "Ex-Factor" "When It Hurts So Bad" "I Used To Love" with Mary J. Blige "Nothing Even Matters" with D'Angelo and "Superstar" with elements of "Light My Fire" by popular 70's and 80's group The Doors. She also speaks about the "Final Hour" and does a nice cover of "Can't Take My Eyes Off You" with the album ending in "Tell Him" I would say go and get the album it has all music styles ranging from pop to hip hop. Buy it now!

5.0 out of 5 stars Pure genius, 4 Jan. 2000
I think it takes something to reduce a man to tears, and this album did it. With what was technically her debut album, Lauryn Hill proved that she could take influences from Stevie Wonder, Aretha Franklin and Bob Marley and still put her own spin on it. Like Stevie Wonder's 1976 album 'Songs in the Key of Life', 'The Miseducation....' is diverse, both musically and lyrically.
You can hear gospel, soul, r&b, hip-hop, reggae.....etc She sings about love with deep, heartfelt passion ('Ex-factor'), religion ('Forgive Them Father'), her past and childhood ('Every Ghetto Every City'), motherhood ('To Zion'), hip-hop ('Superstar') as well as life in general (Everything is Everything'). This is simply a classic album, and maybe unrepeatable. If there is an album to own from the 1990's it is this one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Definitely in the list of best albums ever!, 24 Jan. 2004
Benson (Cardiff, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
It's very hard for to make a definit choice when someone asks me what my favourite album of all time is, but this album is definitely up there in my top 5!

I think this album is somewhat underrated because the singles 'Ex Factor' and 'Doo Wop (That Thing)', do not represent the brilliance of the album. Fantastic in their own right, I don't think they are the stand out tracks of the album.

There's a lot of different musical influences on this album which is what has made it such a critically acclaimed milestone in musical history. I'd say 90% of this album is solely put together by Lauryn Hill with influences ranging from hip hop, soul, R n B and Jazz.

The standout tracks for me had to be the "hidden" ones which are "Can't Take My Eyes Off You" (an incredible reworking of the famous song) and "Tell Him" (strong beats and some amazing vocal harmonies going on here). However, you can't slate any track from this album as they all differ from each other. Also amazing is the track 'Miseducation of Lauryn Hill', with some incredible piano work going on.

I don't want to break down the album reviewing track by track because this is really something you need to hear for yourself. If you like real talent or even just the amazing voice of Lauryn, do not delay in buying this!

5.0 out of 5 stars Still relevant and relatable, and still ALBUM OF THE YEAR., 29 Jan. 2004
Leo4Neo-Soul (Sydney, Australia) - See all my reviews
"The Miseducation of..." shows the artists of the R&B/Soul/Hip-Hop genre how a real album is done. Undeniably 1998's Grammy winner: ALBUM OF THE YEAR. (Back when the Grammy's recognized good music!).
The critically acclaimed record features vast amounts of musical diversity. From hard-core hip-hop on "Lost Ones", to the Spanish Guitar intro of "To Zion", to its sweet but hard hit gospel chorus, to the organic melody of "Everything Is Everything", to the classical piano training of the title track.
Mrs. Hill addresses many themes/subjects which other artists in the genre won't. She questions the negativity and (sexual) immorality of hip-hop acts on "Superstar", to the emotionally killing Love/Hate romance we've all experienced on "Ex-Factor". To warning us about the dangers of sexual immorality on "Doo Wop (That Thing)", to God's unchanging grace and forgiveness on "Forgive Them Father", all the way to testimonial Lauryn on "Final Hour".
Like most R&B albums, a vast majority of songs feature samples of '60s and '70s songs. On "Superstar" she cleverly incorporates lyrical and musical excerpts of Jim Morrison and the Doors' classic "Light My Fire" to prove her point on the downfall of pop music. Another highlight of '60s flashback is on her rendition of karaoke hit "Can't Take My Eyes Off You".
It is thought provoking, inspirational, fascinating and even life changing. Lauryn makes people around the world think of their actions. In my opinion one of the greatest gospel records, my opinion of 'Gospel' is telling people of God's word. And the way Lauryn Hill gives us lectures on Christian ethics in the C21st on sex, money, temptation and sin never sounded so good!
This album gets a well deserved 5/5, because it's one of the most soulful, real and relatable album of 1998 to 2003. Plus Lauryn wrote, arranged and produced the entire album, not bad for a One-Woman show!

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic, 9 Mar. 2005
Quite simply one of the best albums of the 90s, probably one of the best albums ever.
It is a little difficult to put your finger on why this album is so fantastic - is it Lauren Hill's wonderful voice? The way that the album seamlessly blends a variety of musical styles, including soul, reggae and hip-hop? The fantastic guests including Mary J. Blige and Carlos Santana? The excellent material (although the material is so uniformly excellent that the singles do not really stand out)?
This album has stood the test of time and sounds as fresh today as it did when it was first released.
It is an essential element in everyone's collection. If you do not already own it, find it and buy it.

5.0 out of 5 stars A true artist!, 24 Jun. 2006
I listened to Miseducation again after years - I lost my original CD back in 1999 and hadn't replaced it till recently. I have been blown away again! Miss Hill has a talent that is rare. The blend of her voice, the music and the raw Hip Hop beat produced one of the best albums of all time in my books. Listening to this album again has made me realise what a lack of real talent there is today!

5.0 out of 5 stars Soundtrack of my life, 9 April 2005
This is my favourite album ever. Lauryn is a lyrical genius. Every song is beautiful and the album flows excellently to give the story of a life in love, out again, then back in. It's hard to choose which songs are superior becaus they're all so good. No wonder it won 5 Grammys. The rapping, the reggae, the soul, the beats, the voice- perfection!

5.0 out of 5 stars pure genius, 9 Jun. 2004
"This album is pure genius! it is one of, actually the best and most inspiring album i have ever heard and lauren hill has an amazing voice. every song on the album has its own unique flavour to it and if you listen to the lyrics you will find that they are very deep and easy to relate to and may even help you deal with issues in your life. i reccommend this to EVERYONE you must purchase a copy or at least listen to it. Zion is the best song by far and although all the songs are brilliant, i would say when it hurts so bad is possibly the weakest song on the album but it is definately a must buy!"

5.0 out of 5 stars First I loved the sound, then I heard the words!, 28 Mar. 2000
By A Customer
OK, so I hadn't even heard of Lauryn Hill when someone bought me the cd. First listen. I thought , Interesting, but... Second listen, hey this is OK. Next three weeks, and 50 plays later, I think "this is one of my favourite albums of all time. I recommend listening to it and reading the words from the cover at the same time. Terrific. Now I just want Lauryn's next album to come out real soon. BUY THIS RECORD!

5.0 out of 5 stars An album that gets better with time, 1 Dec. 2000
By A Customer
I bought this album when it came out but I never really appreciated it that much... however, I put it on last night and I realised how excellent it was.
Tracks that use a horn section sound like they have come from 70s funk and sound excellent (Doo Wop, Final Hour), and Lauryn's voice is also excellent, but I think that one thing that also contirbutes well to this is the backing vocals. These shine on tracks such as Ex-Factor and Tell Him I love Him.
The duets with Mary J. Blige and D'Angelo are also great, the one with Mary especially, their voices mix so well
There are a couple of tracks on this that are not so good (Superstar, When It Hurts So Bad, Every Ghetto, Every City), but when the other tracks are of such high quality who cares
Even if you're not too keen on the Fugees you should at least try this album... it may not hit you instantly but when it does you're in for a treat