on 9 July 2009
Alfred Brendel is often known as the pianist with the golden touch. These performances of some of the sonatas certainly sound great. I use them to listen and then try to play myself (but a little more rustily than golden in touch).

There is a really good selection on this disk with all the favourites and a few others too.

This was a good buy and I would recommend it to others.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 20 June 2016
I have got to know these sonatas very well over many years, including playing three of them (and I don't mean crawling through the first movement of the moonlight).

Sometimes I love Brendel's touch* but in these sonatas he just doesn't bring enough subtlety. The dramatic effect is so overdone it feels like a formula, full of overplayed crescendos and exaggerated placements. He is trying to make every note work instead of letting the music glide past us. The result - though it seems an odd word to use - is that it feels clunky. Sorry to say it but parts of it I simply cannot listen to.

*his version of Ich ruf zu dir Herr Jesu Christ is my favourite of a dozen recordings
on 18 April 2014
What can one say about this masterful performance of the master's work! All my favourites are there, as well as a few lesser known ones and the whole recording gives a lift to the spirit.
on 30 April 2015
Beethoven set the standard for the solo piano with his sonatos and Brendels playing is quite superb. Well recommended,