5.0 out of 5 stars Who was Cherubini? Ask Brahms!, 3 July 2008
Mr. Mark A. Meldon (Somerset UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
"Cherubini was the great master from whom everything had proceeded..." So said Brahms in 1896 - just after looking at the portrait of him he had in his Vienna apartment. I figured that this is a pretty good recommendation, so bought this CD.

Cherubini is pretty unknown nowadays, unfairly, in my view. This Naxos CD contains the 1816 Requiem in C minor and the Marche funebre from 1820, beautifully sung and played by some lengthily-titled Italians. Apt, as Cherubini was from Florence.

I'm not so religious myself, but enjoy this type of music as art. This is high art, and I can hear lots of Cherubini influence on Brahms (Berlioz was a fan, too), in his Deutsche Requiem, for example.

A distictive and overlooked voice, Cherubini is certainly worth trying at this price. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cherubini could cut the mustard, 8 Jan 2014
I was stimulated by a recent BBC programme on Requiems to collect those mentioned and have found them to be beautiful and satisfying (I have not yet listened to them all though).

4.0 out of 5 stars Worth investigating, 25 Oct 2012
M. Joyce (Cairo, Egypt) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
My father-in-law bought this disc on Amazon for my wife when she was performing the Requiem on a music course and it has eventually found its way into my hands.

Although born in Florence, Cherubini spent much of his life in France and it is to this musical world that he undoubtedly belongs. He was favoured both by Napoleon and the monarchy and the main work on this disc, his Requiem, was first performed in 1816 to commemorate the death of Louis XVI, who had been executed by the revolutionaries. The work has been admired by the likes of Berlioz, Schumann, Brahms and Beethoven, who described it as "The greatest of the greatest of his work".

Not knowing any other works by Cherubini, I do not feel equipped to comment on the accuracy of this remark, but it is certainly a piece that invites discovery, even if it only occasionally touches greatness. The Introit introduces a mood of solemn mourning, but the most successful section of the work is undoubtedly the Dies Irae, introduced by brass and gong, an instrument of which the composer seems unaccountably fond. Reminiscent at times of Mozart's Requiem, Cherubini's "last trump" is marked by dynamic climaxes and moments of pleading and intensity. The work features no soloists, apparently to convey the directness of religious communication without "unnecessary embellishments".

The second work on the disc, the "Marche funèbre", written in 1820, the year of the assassination of the Duc de Berry, was composed for the royal chapel and was scored for a large orchestra. It is a grand, ceremonial work, punctuated by gongs and drums and is, to my ears at any rate, just a little bit vulgar.

The orchestral playing and choral singing are more than acceptable and Diego Fasolis does a good job in marshalling his forces. The recording, made in 1996 at the Cathedral San Lorenzo in Lugano is resonant and clear.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cherubini: Requiem, 31 Jan 2011
I needed a recording of the Requiem as we are performing it in March. This one appealed as I was unsure about whether it was a work I would really enjoy. This is a most enjoyable recording of what is a great work.

4.0 out of 5 stars Truly beautiful, 25 Mar 2014
This review is from: Cherubini: Requiem / Marche Funebre (MP3 Download)
I would recommend this to everyone I know. Stunning music and very special. I am so glad to have come across this work by Cherubini. This Requiem Funeral March has real depth and a strange hold over the listener - I only wish I could here it live.one day perhaps...