5.0 out of 5 stars A Hugely Rewarding Guilty Pleasure
Published on 7 Feb 2007 by Jerome Joseph Kennedy

3.0 out of 5 stars CD
CD came reasonably quickly. But although bought as 'New' and apparently being sealed in it's original plastic wrappings, the playing surface was marked/scratched as if it was second hand. It did play and so I decided to keep it rather than incur the cost of returning it for a replacement.
Published 7 months ago by Chris Smith

5.0 out of 5 stars A Hugely Rewarding Guilty Pleasure, 7 Feb 2007
This review is from: Greatest [CD + DVD] (Audio CD)
Confessing that Duran Duran have been my secret guilty pleasure over the years has not given me much cause for regret. I doubt I'm alone in my admiration for a band that provided a bright, optimistic soundtrack to the cold, cynical `80s that were my formative years. With their star once again in the ascendancy, this 1998 retrospective demonstrates the superior quality of their material compared to most of their pop contemporaries.

Duran Duran have not only had their own distinct and evocative sound, but the calibre of their songwriting also impresses. "Save A Prayer" still sounds as rich and luscious as it did in 1982, and it won't surprise a new listener that the poignant and moving "Ordinary World" won an Ivor Novello award for songwriting in 1994.

Listening to "Planet Earth" and "Girls On Film", it's strange to think that chart-busting pop music was once this fresh and versatile. I can also still recall the "night versions" of these tracks - the band were certainly among the first to remix extended versions of their standard tracks. Back then people with dangerously flammable hair danced to them in discos and nightclubs, now the remixes usually are the standards.

Having the videos on the second disc of "Greatest" is fantastic value for money, as the band's videos are some of the most (in)famous in music history and terrific nostalgia. The "Wild Boys", "Girls On Film" and "Rio" videos bring back all sorts of memories and imitating Simon Le Bon's ludicrous dancing on "Planet Earth" with a friend is the most fun I've had in my front room for months.

I had assumed that the more obvious pop anthems such as "The Reflex" and "Wild Boys" would sound much more dated to my 21st century ears than it actually turned out, and more recent material such as "Serious" and "Electric Barbarella" gives you the sense that you really may have missed something when Le Bon and Rhodes soldiered on with the franchise through the 90s.

This really is a terrific collection, great value for money.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent compilation!!!, 16 Jan 2009
This review is from: Greatest (Audio CD)
Nothing else I can say. This cd rocks! Every song is fantastic. You won't be sorry.

5.0 out of 5 stars What a treat !, 26 Jun 2006
This review is from: Greatest [CD + DVD] (Audio CD)
I don't like writing reviews but this time I can't help it ! I don't understand why this CD isn't enough reviewed yet ! This is a true must-have for any Duran fan and an excellent way for newcomers to start with. The compilation is beyond my expectations, the DVD is simply awesome ! Buy it before it disappears.

5.0 out of 5 stars duran duran's greatest moments, 2 May 2006
holly richardson "holly" (newcastle-upon-tyne, england) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Greatest (Audio CD)
I have always been a fan of Duran Duran, I thought they were great. It took me years to get hold of their greatest hits album but now I have. Its a good album which lists all of their hits way back to the early '80s. From the likes of 'is there something i should know' with its catchy beat and memorable chorus all the way to the '90s with underrated 'come undone' this album will take you on a trip down memory lane. My favourites are 'Girls on film', 'Save a prayer' and 'Hungry like the wolf' but theres not a bad track on the album. The lyrics are genuine unlike some of the rubbish thats been in the charts. I feel duran duran's greatest rounds off their finest hits quite nicely. Outstanding cd.

5.0 out of 5 stars Musical Classics of Duran Duran, 18 Oct 2011
This review is from: Greatest (Audio CD)
The greatest hits collection of Duran Duran contains many of their memorable musical tracks from the 1980's and the 1990's. One of the great features of this compilation is that you get a decent number of songs for this collection (19 of them). I also like how they start this collection with "Is There Something I Should Know", and end It with "Come Undone". My favorite songs in this collection are "A View to a Kill", "Hungry Like the Wolf", "Ordinary World", and "Come Undone". This collection is best for many who enjoy any of the songs by "Duran Duran".

5.0 out of 5 stars Duran Duran - The Greatest: Yes, they are!, 18 Aug 2009
Ms. Jennifer Harvey "Jennifurry" (Manchester, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Greatest (MP3 Download)
I purchased Duran Duran's greatest hits as I was attending Lovebox, a London festival, where they were due to play. Having grown up with Duran Duran providing a soundtrack to my childhood I know the songs but had long forgotten how much I actually liked them. The album is full of classic pop songs, from an era where originality was in abundance.

Seeing them live was brilliant. Yes, so Simon and the gang are not quite the 'wild boys' they once were but they delivered a slick performance and did the originals justice but added an up to date twist. That said the songs hold their own and still sound fresh today.

4.0 out of 5 stars Play catchup, 24 Jun 2005
Darren (Flint, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Greatest [CD + DVD] (Audio CD)
As someone who missed Duran Duran properly first time around I found that I knew many of their hits but didn't own any of them. This CD added them to my collection and let me uncover some of their less well-known tracks. If you are from the younger generation like me, or you just want to complete your collection then I recommend you give this item a try.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love their music, 10 Nov 2011
Cheryl M-M (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Greatest (Audio CD)
This CD brings back memories of pumping my little arms to the beat of Wild Boys Bum Bum in my parents cellar. I have always loved their music and sing along quite happily, much to my childrens dismay, to all the tracks. Whether its the dulcit tones of Sing a Prayer or the dancing tune of Rio. I am and always will be a teen child of the 80s.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply thr Greatest, 28 April 2011
This review is from: Greatest (Audio CD)
What a fab CD even my very young children love it. A great feel good CD to sing along to.

4.0 out of 5 stars memory lane, 13 Oct 2010
This review is from: Greatest (MP3 Download)
I am old enough to remember when this music was first published and I still enjoy it today. It is good to have all the best tracks together on one album as you get just the greatest,like it says on the cover.

Greatest