5.0 out of 5 stars A Hugely Rewarding Guilty Pleasure
Published on 7 Feb 2007 by Jerome Joseph Kennedy

3.0 out of 5 stars CD
CD came reasonably quickly. But although bought as 'New' and apparently being sealed in it's original plastic wrappings, the playing surface was marked/scratched as if it was second hand. It did play and so I decided to keep it rather than incur the cost of returning it for a replacement.
Published 8 months ago by Chris Smith

5.0 out of 5 stars A Hugely Rewarding Guilty Pleasure, 7 Feb 2007
This review is from: Greatest [CD + DVD] (Audio CD)
Confessing that Duran Duran have been my secret guilty pleasure over the years has not given me much cause for regret. I doubt I'm alone in my admiration for a band that provided a bright, optimistic soundtrack to the cold, cynical `80s that were my formative years. With their star once again in the ascendancy, this 1998 retrospective demonstrates the superior quality of their material compared to most of their pop contemporaries.

Duran Duran have not only had their own distinct and evocative sound, but the calibre of their songwriting also impresses. "Save A Prayer" still sounds as rich and luscious as it did in 1982, and it won't surprise a new listener that the poignant and moving "Ordinary World" won an Ivor Novello award for songwriting in 1994.

Listening to "Planet Earth" and "Girls On Film", it's strange to think that chart-busting pop music was once this fresh and versatile. I can also still recall the "night versions" of these tracks - the band were certainly among the first to remix extended versions of their standard tracks. Back then people with dangerously flammable hair danced to them in discos and nightclubs, now the remixes usually are the standards.

Having the videos on the second disc of "Greatest" is fantastic value for money, as the band's videos are some of the most (in)famous in music history and terrific nostalgia. The "Wild Boys", "Girls On Film" and "Rio" videos bring back all sorts of memories and imitating Simon Le Bon's ludicrous dancing on "Planet Earth" with a friend is the most fun I've had in my front room for months.

I had assumed that the more obvious pop anthems such as "The Reflex" and "Wild Boys" would sound much more dated to my 21st century ears than it actually turned out, and more recent material such as "Serious" and "Electric Barbarella" gives you the sense that you really may have missed something when Le Bon and Rhodes soldiered on with the franchise through the 90s.

This really is a terrific collection, great value for money.

5.0 out of 5 stars Duran Duran - The Greatest: Yes, they are!, 18 Aug 2009
Ms. Jennifer Harvey "Jennifurry" (Manchester, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Greatest (MP3 Download)
I purchased Duran Duran's greatest hits as I was attending Lovebox, a London festival, where they were due to play. Having grown up with Duran Duran providing a soundtrack to my childhood I know the songs but had long forgotten how much I actually liked them. The album is full of classic pop songs, from an era where originality was in abundance.

Seeing them live was brilliant. Yes, so Simon and the gang are not quite the 'wild boys' they once were but they delivered a slick performance and did the originals justice but added an up to date twist. That said the songs hold their own and still sound fresh today.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent compilation!!!, 16 Jan 2009
This review is from: Greatest (Audio CD)
Nothing else I can say. This cd rocks! Every song is fantastic. You won't be sorry.

5.0 out of 5 stars What a treat !, 26 Jun 2006
This review is from: Greatest [CD + DVD] (Audio CD)
I don't like writing reviews but this time I can't help it ! I don't understand why this CD isn't enough reviewed yet ! This is a true must-have for any Duran fan and an excellent way for newcomers to start with. The compilation is beyond my expectations, the DVD is simply awesome ! Buy it before it disappears.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Complete DD Collection, 12 Jun 2006
This review is from: Greatest [CD + DVD] (Audio CD)
The CD has all the main hits (pre Astronaut) plus a few lesser known hits. Some songs are edited versions so if that is an issue, beware. This is especially evident on the Rio tracks and Ordinary World. For most people, though, these are the versions they know having heard them on the radio for 20+ years. I could say that such and such song should have been included (OK, Violence of Summer) but can not find any real fault in the selection. The sound quality is fine which should not be a surprise; the sound quality of DD was always top class.

The DVD has all the songs from the CD in addition to The Chauffeur and Burning the Ground. The clean version of Girls on Film is included which in my case works well since my 3 year old son watches these videos a lot. The bulk of the videos have aged well, in particular the early songs and those from the Wedding Album. The sound quality here, however, is sub-par, with no surround alternatives.

Overall this is a fine anthology of DD both Sight & Sound wise, although it is tempting ducking a star due to the lack of surround sound in the DVD format.

5.0 out of 5 stars duran duran's greatest moments, 2 May 2006
holly richardson "holly" (newcastle-upon-tyne, england) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Greatest (Audio CD)
I have always been a fan of Duran Duran, I thought they were great. It took me years to get hold of their greatest hits album but now I have. Its a good album which lists all of their hits way back to the early '80s. From the likes of 'is there something i should know' with its catchy beat and memorable chorus all the way to the '90s with underrated 'come undone' this album will take you on a trip down memory lane. My favourites are 'Girls on film', 'Save a prayer' and 'Hungry like the wolf' but theres not a bad track on the album. The lyrics are genuine unlike some of the rubbish thats been in the charts. I feel duran duran's greatest rounds off their finest hits quite nicely. Outstanding cd.

5.0 out of 5 stars Musical Classics of Duran Duran, 18 Oct 2011
This review is from: Greatest (Audio CD)
The greatest hits collection of Duran Duran contains many of their memorable musical tracks from the 1980's and the 1990's. One of the great features of this compilation is that you get a decent number of songs for this collection (19 of them). I also like how they start this collection with "Is There Something I Should Know", and end It with "Come Undone". My favorite songs in this collection are "A View to a Kill", "Hungry Like the Wolf", "Ordinary World", and "Come Undone". This collection is best for many who enjoy any of the songs by "Duran Duran".

5.0 out of 5 stars As the title suggest, this is Duran's greatest work, 9 Nov 2008
Mr. N. J. Henderson (Bude, Cornwall) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Greatest (Audio CD)
Featuring all of Duran's mega 80's hits, and a few 90's ones you may not be familiar with, this collection of hits is an excellent compiliation of the bands best work.
Almost timeless hits on here which quite rightly get their due, a Duran Duran greatest hits had been long overdue, and in 1998 with their commercial success at an all time low, this release was a timely reminder of how good they are.
Re-released in 2004 to even better commerical success during a sell out UK tour, Duran Duran proved that chart success may only be temporary, but class is permenant.

5.0 out of 5 stars Duran's Big Hits, 1 April 2008

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful, 16 Jun 2006
D. Williams "Welshboy" (Wales) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Greatest [CD + DVD] (Audio CD)
I have never been a fan of Duran Duran, having my female cousins worship them in the 1980's! Having recently heard a few of their songs on the radio I thought I would look to see if they had a greatest hits CD.

When I listened through it I did not realise how many wonderful songs they had created. Some brilliant, subtle chord changes and Simon Le Bons amazing voice. The songs range from really good to great.

The songs have not really dated. They still sound fresh, however they do bring back a feeling of nostalgia.

I have heard some of their recent music on the UK's Radio 2 and these songs have been great. Unlike other 80's bands such as The Pet Shop Boys, Duran Duran's material has been consistently good.

I had the pleasure of meeting Simon Le Bon on a British Airways flight to New York recently. He was asked if a smitten stewardes could come and say hello to him in First Class, he actually got up, walked to the galley in Economy. Sat on an upturned container and chatted with us crew for half an hour!

This CD is a brilliant addition to my collection. I am a convert! Duran Duran are the greatest!

Greatest