4.0 out of 5 stars Stormin Berry
Had this phone now for a couple of months, and at first I had a lot of re-sets and battery pulls, needless to say I wasn't best pleased. However, with the latest firmware releases it is turning out to be a real top notch phone. I am now using release .141 and I haven't had a single battery pull and the overall operation is so much better. Battery life is better (but still...
Published on 19 May 2009 by I. Pursall

1.0 out of 5 stars Do Not Buy This Phone!
I have never reviewed anything before but feel I have to because this phone is a complete nightmare to use.

Network coverage rubbish drops off mid call constantly.

Screen freezes so you have to wait a minute or so until you can do anything with it.

Mind of it's own, when you press an application button it then decides to change the menu...
Published on 9 Oct 2009 by A. Bevis

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

1.0 out of 5 stars Nightmare! This phone should come with a warning!, 15 Sep 2010
This review is from: Vodafone Blackberry Storm 9500 1GB (Wireless Phone Accessory)
I was thrilled when I purchased this phone from Vodafone 16 months ago! Well, not for long! It has been practically unusable and despite being sent back and replaced the software issues were relentless. I have nearly lost my sanity trying to persuade this phone to do the most basic of tasks! It crashes constantly requiring frequent daily removal of the battery to reboot. When attached to my PC, it refused to download the updates despite the separate Blackberry subscription. Why the hell should I have to pay for my phone to receive updates to make it funtional! Unfortunately, I didn't even get the updates. This phone frequently cut out in the middle of calls, the screen froze several times a day, making it impossible to text. The keyboard was often unresponsive and the ringer only rang a couple of times and this seting could not be adjusted! It was also very heavy and cumbersome but I could have forgiven it that if it had actually operated efficiently. Battey life was atrocious. I could have a couple of hours of conversation before the battery died. It also severely overheated during charging. What's good about it? The box. Period. Bugs and constant crashes. A plague! This has been the longest 16 months of my life and I can't wait to get my Nexus One!

1.0 out of 5 stars Massive let-down, 5 Feb 2010
J. Butcher "Jb" (Sheffield, UK) - See all my reviews
Had the Storm a year now. It should be a good phone but it feels like Blackberry have released it far too quickly and before its (many) problems have been dealt with in order to compete with the iphone. Here are the main points:

- Software is awful. It is incredibly sluggish and is prone to crashing/freezing regularly.

- Battery life is about 12 hours (if you are lucky and only use it to phone people about 10 minutes a day).

- The screen is incredibly unresponsive, especially around the edges.

- No wifi

- Backlight (at least on mine) seems to have a mind of its own. It goes through different levels of brightness regardless of what you press.

- Build quality seems poor: wobbly screen, generally poor.

I'm sure this is perhaps the worst phone BB have ever released. I know lots of people like BB but I doubt I'll ever buy a BB again after this as it is so incredibly poor. I can't wait for my contract to end and to get an iphone.

1.0 out of 5 stars don't buy it, 29 Nov 2009
Ms. A. Wood "A Wood" (Valencia, Spain) - See all my reviews
I bought this phone in February 2009 as an upgrade to the curve because I wanted the voice recorder and maps functions. The touch screen took me several months to get used to and i have never managed to type a full email properly (I have small fingers) as I did on the curve and this has been a real problem as the reason I need a blackberry is so I can deal with emails while away from home. I thought it was just me being rubbish with any new technology until i looked at other reviews. The battery life is really poor and this is a real problem for me as i travel alot for work and have been left in difficult situations several times because of this. Apparently the newer version is better but for those of us locked into 2 year contracts, this is no help.

3.0 out of 5 stars Looks pretty and is better but..., 2 Nov 2009
J. Potter "johniebg" (Berkshire, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
The original Blackberry Storm was a hard piece of technology to use. A year has passed, the iPhone continues to lead the touchscreen revolution. So have RIM and Vodafone learned their lessons?

The answer is, not really. The Storm2 is a great looking bit of kit very similar to the Blackberry Javelin in design. It is slightly bigger than the Javelin and of course has no keyboard. The storm2 screen is a considerable improvement on the previous storm screen. It is resistive so you still have to press it to the point it's like pressing a button but is an improvement. It can still feel very clunky though. Scrolling navigation is more responsive and works well once you know you should drag the pad of your fingers instead of the light touch of a nail. Typing in landscape (holding the Blackberry sideways) as with most touchscreen devices is just wonderful, although the resistive touchscreen and the physical clicking noise it makes can make you sound like a woodpecker on Red Bull when you build up speed. It really is quite loud and intrusive.

In portrait mode, using this Blackberry as we are used to using Blackberry's I had nothing but problems. The keys are all squashed together and using the pad of fingers or nails made no difference. The light indicating key selection encompasses multiple keys so your not sure which key you actually pressed. Using portrait did get better with a lot of practise but ultimately I found the Storm2 almost unusable in portrait. Getting the thing unlocked (I am forced to use a password you may not)for a start is an ordeal that always ends with switching to landscape mode. There are a dizzying array of realtime correction/spellcheck technologies which I could not completely turn off.

All in all this is a great looking bit of kit and working in landscape mode you can really tap away with abandon. But the screen still feels clunky despite the improvements and ultimately Blackberrys were not designed as a touchscreen OS. It feels like a bolt on despite sliding menu's and some neat effects. Quite severely impacting usage.

1.0 out of 5 stars the i-phone killer ?, 27 Mar 2009
John B. Andrews (Dubai) - See all my reviews
RIM Blackberry Storm 9500 Mobile phone

On paper the Blackberry Storm was billed to be the ultimate i-phone killer. All the functionality, all the high tech attractions but from a true business accessory market leader. 3G, GPS,Touch screen with landscape tilt, MP3 player, the list goes on.

Unfortunately that's where the comparison ends, on paper.

In the true light of day the Storm just proved to the world how far ahead of the game Apple are with the i-phone and how truly challenging it will be for any mobile space competitor to rival the ease of use, sexy looks and overall charm appeal of the i-phone.

On looks alone the Blackberry is clunky, fat, clumsy.. with buttons in places that just beg to be hit by accident such as the "camera on" located inexplicably where you would pick up or hold the phone hence leaving you incessantly cursing why you have the camera screen on when going to use the phone !!

Frustrating is not even a word strong enough when you actually get down to using the sms, phone or any other feature. What should have been a classic stroke of genius.. a spring loaded touch screen.. which would have put to bed the single potential criticism of the i-phone (selecting options by accident on the "one touch" touch screen) proves to be nothing more than a great idea on paper and a curse to use in real life. Every selection is accompanied by a pained look on the users face as you glide and push... and push... and push and then eventually get the option you needed after several seconds waiting for the phone to wake up from it's docile slumber and leap (perhaps not leap) into action...

Put the phone on a flat surface and it automatically slips into landscape mode, why ? And for those of you who have seen anyone with a phone flipping it round and round like a cheerleader batton, don't be alarmed for they surely must be Storm owners trying to get the phone back into portrait screen mode... reluctant as it may be to accomodate it's owners request.

Predictive text. Did anyone hate how bad Nokia were at this. Hate no more because they have been truly beaten hands down by the Storm and it's "predicting words that couldn't possibly exist" and then forcing you to flip the phone to on screen full QWERTY mode to try and type the word in full even though each touch of the keyboard requires brain surgeon precision... have I said "ARRGHHHHHHHH" yet in this review ?

In summary perhaps it's not fair to compare the Storm to the i-phone. Perhaps it's market is more suited to compete in the LG, Samsung, Nokia touch screen space but even so, as a device it fails to even impress in comparison to the Bold, Curve or earlier BB models which is perhaps it's biggest downfall.

Cutting edge it should be. Pushing you over the edge it does.
i-phone killer it is on paper. Using paper again is more tempting.

5.0 out of 5 stars Go for the Curve 8900!, 7 July 2009
Well, having had my Curve 8900 for two weeks and worrying like mad that I didn't go for the Storm - thanks everyone! My Curve is so good for email and web that I won't ever worry about not having the Storm for screen size again.

These Amazon reviews are really good are they not?

For anyone still thinking of Storm - go for a Curve.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›