5.0 out of 5 stars Can't put this one down !
Published on 12 July 2001

3.0 out of 5 stars OK
Published 12 months ago by robhem

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Can't put this one down !, 12 July 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: Best Of Saxon (Audio CD)
What an album - Saxon were the first band I ever saw, back in the mid 80s. I can honestly say they got me into metal music but fifteen years or so later I started to listen less and less to my collection (marriage and kids and stuff and lack of time)but I came across the old vinyls whilst clearing out my loft and have got back into it big time (appart from the long hair !). So I looked for a "best of" album to try and summarise the Saxon albums, and I can't stop playing it at home, work and in the car.
Tha album boasts such classics as Denim and Leather, 747, Ride Like the Wind, And The Bands Played On, Never Surrender and Princess of the Night. The whole thing brings back big memories. I guess the only track that's not on there that should be included in a best of collection is Wheels of Steel, but I'm sure that will be on "The VERY Best of Saxon" when that's released - can't wait.
So, if like me, you were into Saxon twenty odd years ago but haven't listened to them in a long while, buy this album and you'll wonder why you ever stopped listening to them in the first place. (And I bet you'll still remember all the lyrics too !)

5.0 out of 5 stars PUSHING ALL THE RIGHT BUTTONS, 2 July 2009
Michael Nicholl (Derry. Ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Best Of Saxon (Audio CD)
It has to be close on 20 years since I last really listened to Saxon, Crusader being the last album I bought. Of the late 70s to early 80s crop of metal bands, I always considered Saxon to be just a cut above the competition with great riffs, good vocals and memorable songs. Other bands may have had greater 'commercial' success, but with Saxon you knew what you were getting every time. Since most of their recordings that I own were on tape cassette, I had been looking for a suitable overview of their output which HAD to include '747'; 'Wheels of Steel'; 'Denim & Leather' and the superb 'Dallas 1pm'. Yip they are all here! From start to finish this CD contains no nonsence, no frills, head down rock-n-roll. Interestingly the main body of the recordings contained on this CD come from 4 albums (Wheels of Steel / Strong Arm of The Law / Denim & Leather / Power & The Glory) the period of their greatest success. If you like metal at its melodic best, get this compilation.

4.0 out of 5 stars A great blast from the past, 9 Oct 2001
Mr. A. Ranger "verytree" (East Sussex UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Best Of Saxon (Audio CD)
I first listened to Saxon some 20 years ago as a long haired youth into the "New Wave of British Heavy Metal" and have not listened to them much over the past 15 years. This album brought it all back! an excellent slice of British heavy Metal from the 80's. The only bone of contention is the omission of the track "wheels of steel" despite this track being mentioned on the sleeve notes. That aside it is full of great songs that give you a real taste of what Saxon were all about. The Eagle has landed, 747-Strangers in the night, Dallas 1pm, denim and leather, the band played on etc, are all here. A couple of the live tracks are not the best mix quality but they are listenable. If you want to know about Saxon or wish to rediscover their appeal buy this album!

5.0 out of 5 stars fantastic compilation, 14 May 2009
Edward J. mccarthy Jr. (new york new york) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Best Of Saxon (Audio CD)
this is a fantastic collection of the more well known songs by saxon from the 80s, it sounds great and the booklet is very informative, if you dont have all of saxons material from the 80s you might want to check this compilation out, its very good as well as the remasters emi has been putting out this year ( 2009), cheers!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Takes me back!, 2 Aug 2009
S. Ward (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Best Of Saxon (MP3 Download)
This Album brings back great memories of being at school and first seeing saxon on TOTP. I kind of lost touch with the Band after 1985 and did not get any of the albums made after (i think i will have to now!). This album however, is a classic! Crank up the CD or ipod and rock with one of the best Heavy Metal bands this country has produced. Hearing the classics such as Motorcycle Man, 747 and wheels of steel will make you remember why you liked this band in the first place.

For those of you who are too young to remember them, you must check this album out and find out where many of the modern metal bands get their influences from.

5.0 out of 5 stars Headbanging Memories, 3 July 2014
This review is from: The Best Of Saxon (Audio CD)
I loved Saxon in the 1980s and this compilation brought back all those hear banging memories! Some great tracks in one reasonably priced package.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good, but not perfect, 26 Mar 2014
This review is from: The Best Of Saxon (Audio CD)
It seem that this is a summary of The very best of Saxon. The problem is that it strangely doesn't have Crusader. There can't be a Saxon compilation without Crusader.

5.0 out of 5 stars Review of The Best of Saxon CD, 5 Mar 2014
This review is from: The Best Of Saxon (Audio CD)
This was purchased for my son in law who had the old vinyl but wanted a CD to play in his car.He is thrilled with the CD.

3.0 out of 5 stars OK, 23 Nov 2013
This review is from: The Best Of Saxon (MP3 Download)
I was never a big fan of Saxon, but I remember "Wheels of Steel" well. I bought this as I was going to a gig where Saxon were the support act and so I thought I would give it a listen beforehand. I've quite enjoyed listening to it, but it's not top of my playlist. Some good old rock tunes though and WOS still does it. I never got to see them play as the gig was cancelled. Too bad!

5.0 out of 5 stars saxon best of, 13 Nov 2013
This review is from: The Best Of Saxon (Audio CD)
brings back that those classic 80s metal days well worth a listen replayed it in the car over and over again

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

The Best Of Saxon
The Best Of Saxon by Saxon (Audio CD - 2009)