4.0 out of 5 stars Slick debut
Hearing a few tracks on Radio 6 was enough to prompt me to buy Alpinims. It did not take me long to warm to its mix of beats and swirling atmospherics, Half Asleep and Wired for Light being early favourites.
Published on 6 Jun. 2009 by R. Jones

3.0 out of 5 stars average
Sounds like the Cocteau Twins - first track is very interesting but it tails off. Lovely packaging though - quality product.
Published on 8 May 2009 by Richard Cooke

4.0 out of 5 stars Slick debut, 6 Jun. 2009
R. Jones "BuzzHatter" (Beds, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Alpinisms (Audio CD)
They wear their influence well, from Cocteau Twins to My Bloody Valentine, with hints of woozy Krautrock thrown in. The voices are sublime, but herein lies my problem; perhaps it is all a little too clinical and well put together. Smooth listening, and just a touch too easy on the ear. But don't let this put you off, there is more than enough here to thrill, and leave you drooling in anticipation of the follow-up. The question is: where will they take it from here? Can they introduce a little more edge and some fresh dynamic, creating the masterpiece they promise. I hope so.

5.0 out of 5 stars Under A Big Big Sky, 7 Mar. 2010
The Wolf (uk) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Alpinisms (MP3 Download)
More wonders from the magical musical hive that is Brooklyn.
School Of Seven Bells are the real deal, unlike many of their
geographical compatriots. 'Alpinisms' is more than a bit special!

Three years ago, on my first excursion in the Himalaya, camped
below the mighty mass of Cho Oyu, I spent a cold nocturnal hour
in the company of a mouse-mat maker from Norfolk, staring up at
the big, big sky and the silver stars amplified beyond imagining,
not saying very much at all but happy with how small we felt
beneath the the cascading heavens.

This album would have been the perfect soundtrack
to the experience had i known it then.

This canny little ensemble are comprised of Benjamin Curtis
and talented twins Claudia and Alejandra Deheza.
Together they make a truly magical sound.

The term 'shoegazing' has been attached to their music.
I cannot countenance that description for a moment.

This is music to make you look upward and outward,
not inward and downward. Skies not shoes! Skies Rule!!

There are some wonderfully imaginative
melodic ideas embedded in this material.

Opening canticle, 'Iamundernodisguise' is a perfect
little wonder. The steady rhythmic pulse and simple
two-part vocal harmony sets the scene for some of
the perfectly constructed little gems which follow.

'Face To Face In High Places' takes a folksy theme and spins an
incandescently complex web of sound out of its gentle heart.

'For Kalaja Mari', too, is a simple but densely sculpted
block of sound, which takes its time to work its way
into our gushing veins. An alchemically perfect composition.

Wave upon wave upon wave of gloriously scintillating sound.

The near-epic composition 'Sempiternal/Amaranth' is a
serpentine conglomeration of delirious sonic invention.
It is so beautiful that the idea of staring at my shoes
would seem entirely ignoble in the circumstances.

'My Cablal', too, is a simply sublime and uplifting
piece of gloriousy realised hippie heaven.

Love is the thing (and very probably peace too!)
in this tantalizingly engaging collection.

I found myself loving it to bits!

Recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars At last, a decent recent shoegaze album!, 9 April 2009
This review is from: Alpinisms (Audio CD)
I've fallen for a lot of misleading music press reviews while looking for a decent shoegaze album in recent years. After Maps' (We Can Create) disappointing effort, this is much more like it. The first third of the album has just the right blend of hairs-on-end goosepimpling textured guitar (albeit subtly churning in the background) and attractive vocals to push my buttons. Particularly reminiscent of MBV and Cherry-era Curve in my opinion. Subsequently it changes character, but strong tunes keep the interest up where other supposed 'shoegaze' albums have fallen. Recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars $300 for this home studio production.. a bargain, 21 Sept. 2010
This review is from: Alpinisms (Audio CD)
Benjamin Curtis is a clever guy. If, as it seems he had the majority stake in the home crafted layered production of 'Alpinisms', then this album is rather close to being one of my most pleasurable listening experiences of any indie debut bought in the last 2 years, next to 'The Temper Trap' and 'The XX'.

'My Bloody Valentine' references speak loudly on a couple of tracks and there are also obvious Germanic electro influences. However another reason this album is poles apart from the influx of shoe-gazey copyists are the very distinctive melodies the Deheza sisters create; a sublimely haunting and uber-catchy folk inspired phraseology (with Auto-Tune bending) that could be described as more Dead Can Dance than Cocteau Twins!

Added to this skilfull blend of song-writing and chanteusery is a scintillating production, rumoured to cost $300. With its sassy attitudinal edge, fluent sonic immersion and infection-ate ear-wormery, this is an excellent seminal album except maybe for the absence of a catalogue of hit singles.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pure talent, 13 Mar. 2009
This review is from: Alpinisms (Audio CD)
I loved the Secret Machines (not sure about the latest incarnation) so when I learned of SVIIB as the latest project for the former guitarist I bought the album on spec. I have not been disappointed and even dragged my wife off to see them live in Brighton. (The only thing that let them down was the in-house sound system) What makes the album for me is the vocals - the harmonies are sublime - reminds me a bit of a modern day Alisha's Attic but with much more adventurous harmonies and more art than pop. These guys put the manufactured 'stars' of X Factor and the music industry etc to shame. The only person I have seen who can sing live to album standard is Alison Goldfrapp. The girls from SVIIB did it live and without earpieces - awesome. If there's another album in the pipeline I'll put my name down for a copy now. Was Benjamin right to move on from Secret Machines? Absolutely.

4.0 out of 5 stars Just love this!, 21 Nov. 2008
SP Crowley "stevec" (North London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Alpinisms (Audio CD)
I bought it because the guitarist used to be in the woefully underrated Secret Machines but it confounded my expectations entirely. It's a gorgeous prog pop album boasting a wildly eclectic range of rhythms, guitars and aural effects. The voices are beautiful, the lyrics, obscure and the songs meticulously constructed. While it is highly accessible (think Cocteau Twins for the most obvious antecedent) this is complex music that bears repetition. One of the albums of the year and all the better for taking me completely by surprise.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very decent album, 12 Mar. 2009
Big Jim "Big Jim" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Alpinisms (Audio CD)
At the risk of sounding like I haven't listened to this album I am going to stir the pot by saying that this album sounds like a more accessible Sigur Ros, with elements of Joy Division/New Order instrumentation mixed in with the ethereal female vocals.

Mad?

May be.

Lovely music?

Definitely!

4.0 out of 5 stars not bad, 3 Jan. 2011
This review is from: Alpinisms (Audio CD)
Took me a while to "get it" with these songs but i like them now, they sort of grow on you.
very trippy sounds, quite relaxing my favourites are
all of the songs from 1-7 in the list.
prince of peace is okay too.
not a great fan of some of the songs
if i had glass hands and feet sounded awful.
trance figure is also incredibly annoying.

but face to face on high places is a star in this one i love it now.

3.0 out of 5 stars average, 8 May 2009
Richard Cooke (Haddington) - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Music to reduce road rage, 8 Feb. 2009
Erin Brady "no idea" (Yamba, Australia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Alpinisms (Audio CD)
This is a great CD to drive too or whack on while reading the paper on a Sunday morning, avoiding any kind of house cleaning. It's like Enya but way better. Highly reccommend. The singers are twins and have the voices of angels, but don't get me wrong. it's not boring or religeous in any way. In Australia they're touting this CD to be the next big thing...and after listening to it...it might just be that.

Alpinisms
Alpinisms by School of Seven Bells (Audio CD - 2009)