on 30 June 2002
Some of the most celebrated and widely recorded of Bach's works lie in his concerti - such a wide choice makes it very hard for us to know which recordings to buy. I can safely say however that you need look no further than this, particularly in the case of Bach's Concerto for Oboe and Violin. We live in a day and age where the discussion of baroque authenticity is rife amongst performers, scholars and music appreciaters. The question of what is "correct" in baroque performance, what is authentic to the past and moreover what makes a good performance in this day and age is constantly addressed, creating lots of exciting new ideas and philosophies, but naturally no answers. Recordings such as this, however, give us the answers in no uncertain terms. No amount of talking, philosophising or re-creating of the past substitutes a truelly intuitive musical performance. Tess Miller and Carmel Kaine create something truely sublime, natural and authentic spiritually. It is worth owning this CD simply to hear this remarkable duo!
on 28 July 2010
These recordings are of considerable age, about forty years old. Despite that, like many Decca recordings of that time, the sound quality is excellent. The performances and interpretation are also first rate if you prefer the previously orthodox instrumental versions - before the trend for period instruments became pervasive.

Even if you prefer period instruments this is still a great bargain. It doesn't need me to say that the Bach concertos are wonderful. Highly recommended.
on 4 March 2007
I don't know much about classical music unlike the other reviewers for this CD. However, I was fortunate in that my mother bought me a record (remember them?) of Concertos no 1,3 and 5. You get

1. all 6 Brandenburg concertos beautifully played by English Chamber Orchestra. Normally albums of Bach's Brandenburg concertos only have three of the concertos. Having listened to a few of these, the quality of this CD is at least equal to those recordings in my opinion.

2. two additional concertos: the Concerto for Oboe, Violin and Strings and the Concerto for Flute and Strings. The first of these, as observed in the other reviews, is stunning.

I think this CD is fabulous to listen to and is a complete steal for the price.
on 11 May 2013
As I already have the wonderful Orchestra Mozart Blu-ray of the Brandenburg Concertos, I wanted a different recording on CD. I chose this Benjamin Britten conducted set based on it's favourable reviews and I was not disappointed. The recording is lovely and warm and in stereo and all pieces are played beautifully. There are a couple of issues relating to extraneous noise in some of the quiter concertos that take away from their enjoyment somewhat but overall it is a joyful listening experience and with the bonus of six additional Bach concertos at the end of disc two it is an abolute bargain. I highly recommend purchasing this CD set.
on 5 April 2013
From way back in the last century it may be, but this recording is still
as fresh as the day it was made. Britten's tempi are crisp and athletic,
and his players are top notch in every department. Wonderful.
on 11 April 2016
This CD offers amazing sound quality of J.S. Bach's Brandenburg Concertos. Additionally, it contains a concerto for violin, oboe and strings in D minor and a concerto for flute and strings in G minor. If you are interested in other J. S. Bach's concertos, you can consider this CD.
on 4 January 2010
The bee's knee's for anyone who love baroque music. Simply the best recording of the Brandenburg concertoes I have heard in a very long time
on 8 March 2014
An excellent interpretation of this Baroque masterpiece. A great introduction to what is available on I-tunes. I do like being able to listen to great music from my iPhone.
on 10 October 2014
Excellent in every way but in particular, despite its age, a perfectly recorded version of the concertos.
on 1 January 2014
Bach would probably turn in his grave at this comment, but it's not emotionally moving music; but it does create a mood of tranquility and calm that's a great way to begin the day.
Good soporific effect for babies too.