Format: Audio CD|Change

on 20 September 2012
I had known about Cattle Decap for a few years before getting this album, mainly because of their vegan/vegetarian lifestyle that spills over into their music. I deeply respect them because of this. After listening and watching the video to 'Kingdom of Tyrants' I thought I would start with the album before 'Monolith of Inhumanity', The Harvest Floor in hopes of seeing this progress that other reviewers have been raving about for myself when I eventually get Monolith...

Music wise I had never listened to grindcore. Death metal yes but not grindcore. What does this word even mean?
Well after my first listen through the whole album I was...well surprised. It wasn't as melodic as some reviewers had led me to believe. And quite honestly I was almost on the point of calling it disjointed...dare I say it...noise. But no! I listened to it again, and again and then I finally got it! Its very technical death metal/grindcore!

Lyric wise there are some great lines from one or two songs that I keep repeating in my head. "I am the Ying, I am the Yang!" being one of them (essentially good & evil are in all of us simple primates) and the other "I am the brutal Gardener!" (basically a slaughterer at an abattoir)
Cattle Decap have a very pro vegetarian message and confounding videos. I have been vegetarian and have been around vegetarians and vegans. I do enjoy the lyrics and messages from this album about putting some humans in the situations of the animals.

This all aside the music on The Harvest Floor makes for very good repeated listens and I am now a Cattle Decap fan. Travis Ryan's vocals are the true highlight on this album and he is now rapidly becoming one of my favourite metal vocalists! His range is astounding and the vocals are music alone!

I look forward to Monolith of Inhumanity and the excellent Kingdom of Tyrants!!!
on 17 August 2009
Sadly, this is one of many metal albums to feature blasphemy. What a shame. It's hateful stuff and best avoided.
on 4 October 2015