Format: Audio CD|Change
Price:£16.20+ £1.26 shipping

on 24 October 2009
This album was a MUST for me - it was released in 1957 but disappeared from view until now! I became aware of one track - Plain Song - around 1962 and had been vainly keeping an eye out for it ever since. Cruising the internet over the past 10years I learned that Plain Song originated from this album but the collection remained out of circulation - until now. All tracks bar one are Brubeck or Brubeck/Desmond original compositions and are, for the most part, commendable. The only downside here is the price-hike, I bought it for less than £10!
on 2 January 2010
This may not be the best Brubeck Quartet album, but it is still very enjoyable - some tracks are really good, others I think are a bit disappointing. Joe Morello shows his skill - much more to come?! This album is a bit over-priced at the moment, so perhaps wait a while, then buy it.
on 11 February 2015
This was the first of several 'Jazz Impressions of ...' albums by Dave Brubeck and it features Brubeck (piano), Paul Desmond (alto sax), Norman Bates (bass) and Joe Morello (drums); although Joe Dodge replaces Morello on one bonus track.
This is the first time it has appeared on CD and I snapped it up as soon as it appeared. The wait has been well worth it because it is a fine core album in the Brubeck legacy. Do not miss it.
By this time (1956/7) Brubeck had honed his ideas into what was to become a very successful formula and probably the most commercially successful modern jazz group ever.
Pick of the tracks are perhaps Ode to a Cowbow, Summer Song and History of a Boy Scout although there is not a bad track among them.
The arrival of Morello gave the group one of the best rhythm sections of all time and his thoughtful, but not intrusive, work provided just the right platform for Brubeck and Desmond.
Highly recommended. This is a CD that justifies repeated playings. It cost me £13.32 but has come down since then which makes it an even better buy.
on 9 December 2010
This has always been one of my favourite Brubeck albums,so if you like Brubeck you should like this.History of a boy scout is a standout track and to my ears is worth the expenditure alone.
on 3 February 2013
This is the first LP I ever bought and so, upon hearing it again it brought back a whole rush of memories
A classic Brubeck album with wonderfully atmospheric solos by Paul Desmond.
I've never been to the USA but I would have to have this on my iPod if I did
on 27 June 2011
I like this more than Late Night Brubeck which I also bought recently, but still don't like it as much as Time Out, The Essential Dave Brubeck and other albums that have been available for years (and rightly so because they are so great).