4.0 out of 5 stars Jazz Impressions of the U.S.A. (Dave Brubeck Quartet)
Published on 24 Oct 2009 by MagikAge

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice Brubeck
This may not be the best Brubeck Quartet album, but it is still very enjoyable - some tracks are really good, others I think are a bit disappointing. Joe Morello shows his skill - much more to come?! This album is a bit over-priced at the moment, so perhaps wait a while, then buy it.
Published on 2 Jan 2010 by Dickie

4.0 out of 5 stars Jazz Impressions of the U.S.A. (Dave Brubeck Quartet), 24 Oct 2009
This review is from: Jazz Impressions of the USA (Audio CD)
This album was a MUST for me - it was released in 1957 but disappeared from view until now! I became aware of one track - Plain Song - around 1962 and had been vainly keeping an eye out for it ever since. Cruising the internet over the past 10years I learned that Plain Song originated from this album but the collection remained out of circulation - until now. All tracks bar one are Brubeck or Brubeck/Desmond original compositions and are, for the most part, commendable. The only downside here is the price-hike, I bought it for less than £10!

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice Brubeck, 2 Jan 2010

5.0 out of 5 stars Brubeck at his best, 9 Dec 2010
D. H. Rimmer - See all my reviews
This review is from: Jazz Impressions of the USA (Audio CD)
This has always been one of my favourite Brubeck albums,so if you like Brubeck you should like this.History of a boy scout is a standout track and to my ears is worth the expenditure alone.

4.0 out of 5 stars Brubeck's first "suite". Recommended., 19 Dec 2014
This music was my introduction to Brubeck late in the 1950s (I had four tunes on an E.P. And remember being impressed by the drum solo on "Sounds Of The Loop" and also on "History of a Boy scout"). I purchased this album a couple of years back to refresh my fond memories. I wasn't disappointed, although this is not one of his "top" albums it is worthy of any Brubeck fan's collection. This shows the direction that both "the quartet" and his composing was going. I think that this was his first themed album, a sort of suite, and also this was probably the first recording to features Joe Morello, who had newly joined the quartet. Not quite the "classic" quartet because Eugene Wright was absent.
The "jazz impressions" comprise eight movements, each illustrating some aspect of the USA. The music is endearing, with some clever melodies, and of course particularly well interpreted by Brubeck and Desmond. The inclusion of Joe Morello , one of the greatest drummers in jazz history is noticeable. [I understand Paul Desmond didn't like to be "upstaged" and this caused conflict, despite the pair remaing colleagues within the Brubeck quartet for many years]. The bass player is Norman Bates who had played with Brubeck for many years. An interesting and enjoyable suite.
This CD release has two extra (lengthy) "bonus" tracks; the first "Two Sleepy People" (also from 1957 with the same personnel) is very fine indeed; the second from 1956 (with Joe Dodge on drums) is also very good. Both tracks feature typical Brubeck piano style of block chords.
Recommended purchase.

4.0 out of 5 stars Every Brubeck fan should own this, 24 Feb 2014
R. E. Webber - See all my reviews
An elder brother introduced me to Dave Brubeck when I was 12 years old with the LP of Time Out. I have been and remain a fan of his music since then. I have a large collection of Brubeck on vinyl and many CD's which have been responsible for the re-release of long forgotten vinyl. I had never heard this album played ever, so to see it as a CD release was a no brainer that it had to go into my collection. The recording, made just before the "Classic" quartet, is wonderful listening. I hear new things every time I listen, I've waited 52 years to own this. A must for any CD collection.

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic, 3 Feb 2013
TerryB (Basingstoke) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Jazz Impressions of the USA (Audio CD)
This is the first LP I ever bought and so, upon hearing it again it brought back a whole rush of memories
A classic Brubeck album with wonderfully atmospheric solos by Paul Desmond.
I've never been to the USA but I would have to have this on my iPod if I did

4.0 out of 5 stars Quite good, but not a top rate Brubeck album, 27 Jun 2011
This review is from: Jazz Impressions of the USA (Audio CD)
I like this more than Late Night Brubeck which I also bought recently, but still don't like it as much as Time Out, The Essential Dave Brubeck and other albums that have been available for years (and rightly so because they are so great).

Jazz Impressions of the USA
Jazz Impressions of the USA by Dave Brubeck (Audio CD - 2008)