4.0 out of 5 stars Chapter 4: A more contemporary Syleena
Published on 21 Mar 2009 by K. Wright

3.0 out of 5 stars Not her best album
I love Syleena Johnson, and although I do not hear her on the radio where I am, I can still find her albums for sale somewhere. Sadly this is not album I play and play again.
Published 12 months ago by Natural One

4.0 out of 5 stars Chapter 4: A more contemporary Syleena, 21 Mar 2009
K. Wright - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Chapter 4: Labor Pains (Audio CD)
Although I have always been a fan of Syleena and her distinctive, powerful vocals, I hesitantly purchased Labor Pains after being disappointed by Chapter 3. At first listen I wondered whether I should have given up on Syleena after the brilliant "I Just Wanna Let Go" and "I Believe in Love" in 2003. However, despite the attempts to lure new, younger fans with vocoder (Where's The Love and chat show parody(Maury Povich) there are some classic tracks.

"Freedom" is back to what Syleena does best, soaring vocals and strong, inspirational lyrics. "Is it Because I'm Black" and "Be Me" are both standout tracks with honest and heartfelt lyrics. "You Let Me Down" and "Your Love" are both strong tracks, with the latter being the albums requisite emotional ballad.

There are enough quality songs here to keep Syleena's fans happy as well as something different to appeal to a wider market. In my opinion it is nowhere near as good as chapters 1 and 2 and could do with a few tracks being cut, particularly the intro, outro and interlude but it's definately worth a listen as there are gems to be found.

5.0 out of 5 stars 4 for 4, 11 Aug 2009
This review is from: Chapter 4: Labor Pains (Audio CD)
While many of Syleena's fans were disappointed with Chapter 3: The Flesh, deeming the album a sell out, I was less critical and it stills stands as one of 2005's R&B highlights for me. Now I have had a chance to listen to Chapter 4 a couple times and feel that again she has produced another solid set. For every track like Mary Povich and Where is the Love (one of the few auto tuned songs I can actually listen to), which appears to be here to appeal to the kids, there a Shoo Fly, Be Me, Freedom and Is It Because I'm Black. If you liked any of her first three albums then there's definitely something on Chapter 4 for you!

3.0 out of 5 stars Not her best album, 24 Dec 2013

5.0 out of 5 stars Chapter 4 is a Triumph!, 22 Jun 2010
This review is from: Chapter 4: Labor Pains (Audio CD)
This is another fantastic effort from one of the most underrated voices in music! Some of the standout tracks include, 'You Let Me Down', 'Your Love' and the amazing 'Is It Because I'm Black'. This is definitely an album worth buying if you are a fan of real, passionate and honest R&B! Go buy it and support real talent!

3.0 out of 5 stars Syleena Johnson Chapter 4 Labour Pains, 9 Aug 2009
This review is from: Chapter 4: Labor Pains (Audio CD)
I bought this CD to complete the set of Syleena Johnson Chapters 1-4 I have; although the tracks are easy listening cos I love Syleena voice, this is my least favourite album in the set. Hopefully Syleena will come back better on her next outing.

Chapter 4: Labor Pains
Chapter 4: Labor Pains by Syleena Johnson (Audio CD - 2009)