on 1 November 2009
This is a very good performance, very well recorded.
Harnoncourt was one of the first to use treble soloists in a work
like this. In this case they were from the Wiener Sängerknaben(Viennese Boys Choir).
The experiment was a great success.
The other soloists, especially Max van Egmond and Kurt Equiluz are exceptionally good.
The "Chorus Viennensis" as well as "Concentus Musicus Wien"(orchestra) are on the same level.
This "Johannes-Passion" is at mid-price now and well worth buying.
on 11 April 2013
This recording is an old one, yet the way precision is combined with passion makes it a must-buy for those who love Bach's St John Passion. I recently took part in a performance and listened to this many times in order to prepare. I also watched the performers on Youtube and realised that if those young boys of Vienna could learn the difficult 'Wohin' aria then so could I.
on 20 June 2014
This recording started it all. Breathtaking and iconic performances. This interpretation of a major Bach work was trend-setting and has influenced scores of later recordings.
on 2 December 2013
Not absolutely sure why, but this CD was really disappointing. I love the St John Passion, but this performance seemed lifeless and uninspiring. Perhaps the lack of clarity, and underplayed dramatic moments ? Given the provenance of the performers, it should have been first class. I will try another version or two and report back.
on 14 February 2013
I bought the CD as we're singing St John Passion at Easter and I wasn't familiar with it. Listening to it has helped me to learn it.