5.0 out of 5 stars It's album No. 30-something and he's really getting the hang of it!, 19 Sep 2007
C. Taylor "Cosmo" (Kelvinbridge, Glasgow, Ecosse.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bombshell (Audio CD)
This is the new album from the Potentate of The East Nuek musical community that is the Fence Collective. King Creosote (AKA Kenny Anderson, an alumni of the Skuobhie Dubh Orchestra) has been ploughing his own musical furrow on the East Coast of Scotland for over a decade.

Since setting up the Fence Collective in the mid 90's he, and a like-minded group of musicians including James Yorkston and Lone Pigeon to name but a few, have created a smorgasbord of quirky, tasty lo-fi classics. The last few albums (and there have been over 30 in the last 10 years!) from KC have been nudging their way towards the mainstream since he signed to Domino/679/Warners.

Some will bemoan the move towards a larger audience I, for one, couldn't disagree more. The hallmark of KC's genius has always been the songs, lo-fi production or not, and as such this collection does not disappoint. There's a sharp turn-of-phrase and genuine wit to all the tracks on this album and the voice, oh the voice. A more melancholy, poignant voice you're not likely to hear anytime soon.

There are some sublime tracks on the album such as Home In A Sentence, Cowardly Custard, Admiral and Nooks. Nooks especially will put you in a wistfully romantic frame of mind. The other tracks that stand out are those such as You've No Clue Do You which epitomizes the much more slick production of this release. I don't find this as huge a departure from his previous ouvre as some, if you've ever seen KC live you'll know he can wig out with the best!

I'd say this a must buy, a superb Hors D'Oeuvre for the veritable feast that is King Creosote's back catalogue!

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply Stunning!, 25 Nov 2008
Mr. R. Stubbs (Norfolk, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bombshell (Audio CD)
I bought this album when it came out and saw King Creosote play live twice to promote it (once with Squeeze and once in a very intimate venue in Norwich where Kenny came over and had a chat with us).

I don't write many reviews but I'm sitting here listening to the album (for probably the hundredth time) whilst I mark year 8 homework in my classroom and I felt compelled to tell everyone how absolutely fantastic this album is from start to finish.

There's simply not a poor track here - just 13 beautifully written, melodic and at times rather humourous poetic gems.

One of my favourite albums of all time - if you ever get the chance to listen to him just give it a go, you might actually love it as much as I do...

5.0 out of 5 stars All hail the King !, 14 Sep 2007
Arthur Dooley (N Wales) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Bombshell (Audio CD)
Wor Kenny, the hirsute Anstruther minstrel has only gone and knocked out a damn fine album which could well see him break through the barriers which separate cult artists from the mainstream. As King Creosote, Kenny Anderson has headed the legendary 'Fence Collective' based on the East Neuk of Fife on Scotland's rugged east coast. Ironically one of Kc's former compadres in the collective, KT Tunstall finds herself at the top of the album charts as I write.
For those unfamiliar with Kc's music and who might be expecting 'finger in yer ear folk' will be in for a shock. KC has produced a melodic folk rock album with tracks like the single 'You've no clue do you' positively Beatle-esque in it's tempo and beguiling melody.
Remarkably,unlike previous KC albums which were qualitative products generally but usually with the odd duff track 'Bombshell' does the run without offering any so-so tracks whatsoever...they're all excellent !
Interestingly, the destined to be cult film 'Hallam Foe' set in Edinburgh and which I saw recently saw in Edinburgh,uses a KC track and that of another 'Fence Collective' member, the equally impressive James Yorkston. This should open up even more doors for the East Neukers.
Unlike previous homespun KC efforts. 'Bombshell' oozes sharp professionalism in its production. Not for Kenny the cut and shunt approach. Producing albums on an ancient tape machine in his Anstruther front room ! What next,Bono in the production studio in LA !
I shouldn't think so for Kenny has shown a tenacious loyalty to his roots and his music has benefited enormously from this approach.
Perhaps it's the sea air !

5.0 out of 5 stars A Superb Album, 6 May 2011
This review is from: Bombshell (Audio CD)
This is in my opinion, King Creosote's finest album. Part of KC's appeal has always been the lo-fi production of his earlier material - inexpensive, but imaginitively realised collections of songs of varying styles but consistant high quality. This however, is a quite highly polished, more "commercial" approach which works wonders. With John Hopkins at the helm, the songs are given a very full, often ethereal sound. The quirkiness, the humour, the spine tingling voice are all present but Bombshell also offers the listener something more. The song writing has developed considerably and fits the high production levels like a glove. And unlike some of his other efforts there are no duds here to speak of. Buy it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Sublime Genius grows into real deal, 11 Sep 2007
This review is from: Bombshell (Audio CD)
following up KC RULES OK was always going to be interesting for Kenny Anderson...and his fans..well here it is and he still rules!
BOMBSHELL starts and ends stunningly and the 11 songs inbetween are all around the same standard..some should be on daytime radio-HOME IN A SENTENCE,YOU'VE NO CLUE DO YOU and some will break your heart-CHURCH AS WITNESS,LESLIE,AND THE RACKET THEY MADE..and SPYSTICK is huge
it has a glossy feel production wise..but is still sublime.. so hats off to Jon Hopkins the producer

5.0 out of 5 stars Undiscovered gem. Where have I been!?, 21 Jun 2013
greydad (Spalding, Lincolnshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bombshell (Audio CD)
Can't believe this had passed me by. Having heard 'There's none of that' on Gideon Coe & liking what I heard, I bought this on the strength of the one track - always dangerous & often results in disppointment, but not this time.

The lyrics are poignant & quirky, putting me in mind of The Beautiful South at their best, delivered in a trembling vocal style that just makes you fill up. Backed-up by some splendid musicianship, this is the full ticket.

I played 'Cockle shell' to my 13 year old daughter and had her dancing about the house singing "Choke me, blind me, cut off my hands" until she went to bed. Sounds weird, but made me come over all proud & fatherly.

Love it - will definitely be buying more KC albums. Suggest you start here if, like me, you were criminally ignorant of this great music until now.

5.0 out of 5 stars Stick with it; this faboulous album grows on you, 14 July 2008
Sazzy (Nottinghamshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bombshell (Audio CD)
I bought this album on the strength of hearing 'Admiral' once. Initially I was a bit disappointed, but I gave it a few plays and suddenly I was hooked. I love the quirky lyrics, the alternative production and, well, just everything about it. My favourites have to be 'At the W.A.L', 'Spystick' and, in fact... all of them! Buy it, give it a few listens and you'll be as hooked as I was. I bought this a few months ago and it is never far from my CD player.

5.0 out of 5 stars Dares to be Different, 25 Jan 2008
Christopher Hunter "cjhunter2001uk" (Farnham UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Bombshell (Audio CD)
King Creosote is the name used by Scot, Kenny Anderson. According to his MySpace site he seems to have released up to 24 albums worth of material. Anyway, this was a huge slow grower of a record for me. The songs are focused around the accordion and guitar and get right under your skin with their beautiful melodies and understated lyrics and hooks.

It's hard to classify really. Is it folk? Not really? Rock? Nope. Just good song writing that dares to be different and that is always a welcome thing in my book.

5.0 out of 5 stars grown up 'n' gorgeous, 12 Nov 2007
C. storm (carnoustie, scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bombshell (Audio CD)
i've enjoyed kc's music and live performances for a few years now...he just gets better all the time. on bombshell he manages to remain quirky, wonderfully acerbic and funny... while showing a more mature and rounded musical quality.
i think this is a fantastic album... well done king creosote!

4.0 out of 5 stars Better than most, but not his best, 6 Nov 2007
This review is from: Bombshell (Audio CD)
KC manages to keep his singular take on modern folk music alive and well on Bombshell, even with some more heavily produced tracks (like No Clue or, indeed 678 form KC Rule OK). You can hear the direct line back to the halcyon days when the Skuobhie Dubh Orchestra filled the dance floors of St Andrews (but that's just me being stuck in a rose tinted past!)

In my opinion not as good as his last, but then it still leaves most of today's offerings in the album world tripping over the starting tape.

Bombshell