5.0 out of 5 stars Deep & Wide & Tall - Not Big, but very Clever
Published on 12 April 2001

2.0 out of 5 stars Great band, but they deserve a far better 'best of'.
Published on 23 Oct 2004 by Amazon Customer

5.0 out of 5 stars Deep & Wide & Tall - Not Big, but very Clever, 12 April 2001
By A Customer
It's getting on for 20 years now since Roddy Frame burst onto the scene with High Land, Hard Rain, a refreshing blend of poetry set to a jazzy latino-folksy soundtrack, full of angry young man nous and laden with punk attitude. The album (which includes Oblivious, Pillar to Post, Walk Out to Winter and We Could Send Letters) thrust Frame into that unenviable group of artists who would be destined to never repeat the brilliance of their explosive debut. But that does not detract from the fact that Frame went on to deliver a catalogue of subtle, consumately brilliant music.
This 'best of' collection reflects a changing style and gradual maturing: from the early angst, through the most perfectly constructed song-writing and production of 1987's 'Love', and into the 90s with 'Spanish Horses' (an homage to Barcelona and 'Guadi's soft confusion'). My only criticism would be that to fully reflect the progression of Roddy's musical style, the playlist should include at least another dozen songs, and a whole lot more from the excellent jazz-cool and Sakamoto-inspired Frestonia.

2.0 out of 5 stars Great band, but they deserve a far better 'best of'., 23 Oct 2004
Amazon Customer "Martin" (Glen Urquhart, Scotland.) - See all my reviews
Don't get me wrong, I think Aztec Camera (and also Roddy Frame's solo work) are wonderful. After hearing John Peel playing 'Pillar to Post' back in 1982 (I think) I bought anything of theirs I could find. High Land Hard Rain definitely ranks among the very greatest debut albums and few would deny that Roddy Frame never bettered it (personally, I blame Mark Knoppfler for his smothering production on the second album, 'Knife') - indeed, I would argue that High Land Hard Rain is much more deserving of the title "The Best of Aztec Camera" than this assortment is. This collection has one or two too many tracks from 'Love' , only a couple from 'Stray', just one from 'Dreamland' and nothing at all (!) from the underrated 'Frestonia'. Ideally, a new 'best of' would now include many tracks from Roddy Frame's excellent 'Surf' album.
However, track selection is not my real gripe here. What really chokes me is the version of Van Halen's 'Jump': I saw Aztec Camera live in London in 83/84 and Roddy finished with his totally over-the-top guitar-god version of Jump which ripped the proverbial out of the original. They had the good sense to record a similar version for the b-side of the 'All I need is everything' 12" single. Although I already owned all their other CDs I rushed to buy this album purely because I saw that it contained 'Jump'. I cannot exaggerate my disgust at finding that they have faded out the last half of the track... THE BEST BIT!!! Fortunately, I have since been able to source the glorious full version, but I still cannot bear to play this CD.
My advice: Buy Hard Land Hard Rain (and Surf). Borrow Frestonia, Dreamland, Stray, Love, North Star and (if you must) Knife to see which suits you. Then steal (or obtain by any method possible) the FULL version of Jump.

4.0 out of 5 stars A solid career overview with only minor glitches, 16 May 2000
By A Customer
Overall, I was pleased with this disc; all the hits are here, and all the classic tracks. However, I was highly disappointed that they opted to use the album version of "All I Need Is Everything," as opposed to the single mix. The album version goes on forever and doesn't know how to end. Dig up a copy of the 45 (if you can) to hear a great example of classic 80's pop.

5.0 out of 5 stars Heaven, 13 Sep 2013
One of my old favourites. Realised my ex took it so replaced it. One of the best bands in my catalogue of music

3.0 out of 5 stars Nostalgic buy, 12 May 2013
I bought this for 2 tracks only - Somewhere in my heart and Oblivious - and pleased I did. Catchy tunes from my youth.

3.0 out of 5 stars Growing up in a snap-shot...., 30 Mar 2000
Roddy Frame burst onto the music scene courtesy of a small,independent Scottish Record Label called Postcard,and for a brief moment,was championed as a teenage prodigy with talents way too many for such a bairn....The early songs certainly show an emotional depth and tug at the heart strings here and there...Sadly,this was the 80's,and progress, unfortunately,meant getting in big name producers and spending weeks/months achieving big drum sounds! Quality and the special touches get blown away by the sheer gloss and polish of the production...A crying shame,but it has its moments...

5.0 out of 5 stars classic 80s, 15 Mar 2013
a replacement for one worn out. unique sound and well written music.a must for fans of a great band. buy it

5.0 out of 5 stars A marvellous surprise....., 29 Jan 2013
DavyA (Newcastle Upon Tyne, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
I am in the midst of a mid life "nostalgia crisis" and I am re visiting many of the bands,their hits and albums that were a part of my youth.
I had not listened to Aztec Camera in a very long time (excepting those stalwarts of the 80s compilation album, "Somewhere In My Heart" and "Oblivious")but I have found this "best of" a great re introduction to tracks I had not (to repeat myself) heard in donkeys years.
The aforementioned tracks open the album and are evident quality but whether it's "Good Morning Britain" or "Walk Out To Winter", "How Men Are" or "Spanish Horses" you really, really can't go wrong.
The price, considering the quality, is a bit of a steal really. So, lovely for the nostalgia, a surprise in that I had not remembered sooner quite how good they could be, and all in all, a joy to listen to.

4.0 out of 5 stars Memories, 15 Nov 2011
Mrs. C. Angus "Barshaw78" (Ayrshire, Scotland) - See all my reviews
This album takes me back, enjoyed the memories and loved singing along. Would recommend to all 30 somethings and all others

5.0 out of 5 stars The brilliant roddy frame, 2 Jan 2010
Discover the very underrated Aztec Camera with this best of album with tracks from his group career with the sublime Walk out to Winter and Pillar to Post to later classics such as How Men Are.Terry Wogan played him-find out why!

The Best Of Aztec Camera