Size: Travel|Colour: Black|Change

on 25 September 2013
I use this when travelling to carry my e-pen which needs to be kept refrigerated. This pouch is easy enough to use and I've had no problems with it through airport security. The only annoying thing is the prep. To activate the pouch you need to put the inner bag in water and then once it is soaked through for required time you need to wait for it to dry out before you can use it. Takes about an hour or so all in all.
on 7 April 2010
These pouches really are fantastic. I've been using them for several years. Over time the crystals become less absorbant so they will need to be soaked for longer. I'm still able to use some that I began using over 5 years ago and they are still fine. If you buy them direct from the Frio website (google it for the url) then you get them VAT free (if you are diabetic), works out a fair bit cheaper than on here. They also have a wider range of pouches and other products such as head band and wrist bands - these were fab during the last heatwave (I live in optimism of anothe heat wave!!)
on 3 August 2010
Highly recommended. I have travelled and worked in some extremely hot places and these frio bags have liberated me.

They can be simply "recharged" by soaking for a short time in water, and the gel crystals inside soak and swell up. As the water evaporates this keeps the insulin within cool. Bear in mind that as the bags rely on evaporation to work they must be kept in the open air (and not in a closed confined space like a zipped up bag). Need soaking again in water every few days as the water evaporates. Kept my inslin cool during a month long cycle tour of Italy in August with no problems. I could have never embarked on a trip like that before....

A brilliant idea!
33 comments|72 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 1 February 2013
If you travel,i would strongly recommend that you purchase this product,it saves you worrying about having a fridge on hand.Just soak in water{ follow the instructions } then insert up to 5 pens and you are away.
on 3 February 2012
We are on a 6 week tour of Australia & New Zealand, & were worried how to keep the insulin cool. The Frio has been a real boon, I didn't see how it could possibly work, but it does. It is brilliant. Thank you very much.
on 21 August 2010
I initially gave this one star after my first wallet failed, leached crystals and went rock hard.

Since then I have purchase another wallet directly from the Frio website. This HAD instructions with it and their website now contains better information on soaking times for the different sizes of bags, crucial as these times vary. New bag seems to have done its job. I put a fridge thermometer which showed it stayed at a constant 16° to 17°C. I re-soaked the bag once during a week long vacation in Wales, though I think this may not have been totally necessary as it was not too hot.

THIS IS NOT A SUBSTITUTE FOR A REFRIGERATOR. Your insulin will be kept at a safe temperature so it is good for warm days but it is NOT going to keep it at the same chilled temperature as a fridge would. Your insulin life is therefore about the same as in use insulin kept at room temperature. If you are on the move in a warmer climate you will need to think about how often and where you will re-soak the bag.

I also took along a medicool, a freezer block that fits into a foam container. It does a similar job but requires freezing before travel, holds less insulin and is bulky. Frio bags would be a better choice but do TEST it before your travel date.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Update: since writing this I have also got the large Frio travel bag which works as well as it has the big mesh pocket needed for the frio wallets to breathe. We have done a long haul flight Scotland to New Zealand and back with no issues (apart from a hypo at customs, never been waved through faster! TAKE EXTRA GLUCOSE because the tablets you get in NZ are only 3g, no glucogel is available TAKE YOUR OWN). I found we had to re-soak the wallets often during a fairly average NZ summer).
If you are going to try this out make sure you test it well in advance of travelling. Also take a look at the reviews on Amazon.com. One reviewer had problems because of security checks on gel packs and advises you check the TSA website.
on 27 September 2011
The wallett worked quite well, it was useful to have to prevent the insulin overheating when in Ibiza with temperatures about 30 degrees C. I think its performance was pretty much as I expected from reviews read and I found it easy to use.
on 13 July 2014
Highly recommended for all insulin users in warm/hot weather. Purchased to take out and about on a holiday to Turkey (average temp 35 degrees) and it worked perfectly.
on 20 January 2014
Did not use in the end- also bought another one. May be helpful to specify- for insulin pens, how many it will hold. The Small Wallet held everything I required.

Incredibly useful for long distance air travel and keeping insulin chilled during the whole journey. Good that it can be reused too.
on 5 March 2014
So handy for holidays to keep pump cool in hot climate. I keep mine in the wallet even on the beach and just unplug mystery when I want to go swimming.