4.0 out of 5 stars Where it all began...
I suspect there are others reading this review who originally bought this when I did - Back in 1984, on good old vinyl. This was the start of a series that I couldn't have dreamed would still be running today, having seen just a handful of volumes released on similar series before disappearing forever ('Out Now', 'The Hits Album' etc.).

The 'Now That's...'...
Published on 1 Feb. 2009 by Markz10

The first nine volumes of the Now That's What I Call Music series do not exist on the double CD format. Single volumes CDs exist for Now 4 [15 tracks from Now 4, Now 3 and Now 2], Now 8 [17 tracks from Now 8] and Now 9 [16 tracks from Now 9]. There's also a Now That's What I Call Music '86 disc which includes tracks from Now 7, Now 8 and a few others.

When I...
Published 20 months ago by Mr. Paul English

4.0 out of 5 stars Where it all began..., 1 Feb. 2009
This review is from: Now That's What I Call Music Volume 1 [Re-Release Special Collectors Edition] (Audio CD)

The 'Now That's...' series was a refreshing change from most of the hits compilation albums available back then, in that its tracklisting was focused purely on significant chart hits, whereas the majority of similar albums at that time contained a lot of "filler" material - Tracks which either made the lower positions on the top 75, or didn't chart at all. The Now series did away with that idea, and brought us a selection of tracks which had all been in the top 40, and could all properly be called "hits". Also, you'd get a brief commentary on each track, including its highest chart position, which is something you wouldn't have found on any of those old K-Tel and Ronco albums you bought in the seventies and early eighties.

The first disc is by far the stronger of the two - Ten of the sixteen tracks here are chart-toppers, and most of those that aren't made the top ten. This album is pretty much as good a review of what was big in '83 as you'll find anywhere - Phil Collins (You Can't Hurry Love'), UB40 ('Red Red Wine'), Men At Work ('Down Under') and Bonnie Tyler ('Total Eclipse of the Heart') provide just a few of the No.1s on offer here.

However, like a lot of the earlier, 'Now' albums, it's the second disc where you get the feeling that they were having to dig a little deeper into the barrel (though not scraping it, as other compilations were prone to do) - Most of the songs here are top twenty or thirty, rather than top ten, and some of these ('Big Apple', 'Let's Stay Together', 'Kissing With Confidence', 'The Sun And The Rain', 'Victims') have never been favourites of mine. I've subtracted a star because of this weaker disc, just as I would have done if I'd been writing a review for the vinyl release 25 years ago.

I don't think I'd recommend this to a fan of eighties music, simply because it's highly likely that most of the tracks contained on it would be in their collection already, but if you know someone who had the original album and played it to death, as I did, then it would make a nice little nostalgic gift.

1.0 out of 5 stars Avoid - uses different version of Limahl and Malcolm McLaren tracks, 21 July 2013
Mr. Paul English "analoguebubblebath" (Co Kildare, Ireland) - See all my reviews

When I saw the announcement of this reissue I got my hopes up. Perhaps it was the first of a series. However I was sorely disappointed when I discovered that the two of the tracks [Limahl's Only For Love and Malcolm McLaren's Double Dutch] are different to the versions on the original Now That's What I Call Music vinyl release. It's obvious that no effort was made to go back to the original master tape. If you want to re-create the first Now album then I suggest buying a used NM vinyl copy and ripping your own.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nostalgia IS what it used to be !, 30 May 2011
mariopops "Andy Rogers" (SOLIHULL, WEST MIDLANDS United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
28 years ago? ... blimey, I remember buying this on double vinyl when it first came out: in fact I loved it so much at the time I then also bought it on cassette to go in the car! I somehow missed the re-issue a couple of years ago but spotted it by chance a few weeks ago and had to get this for nostalgia's sake as much as anything. By and large it still sounds pretty good, maybe a bit too much Limahl / Kajagoogoo for my taste but apart from that it's great to own this on CD and to find that "nostalgia IS what it used to be" !. As for the packaging that a few people dont seem to like very much , I have to say I like the replica cardboard sleeves and paper inserts , takes me back to the vinyl days (which is presumably what they were trying to do) and let's face it, it's no worse than the Beatles re-issues which , if anything , are more flimsy than this one. All in all, for a classic slice of early 80's music this compilation takes a lot of beating , much as it did all those years ago in fact !....

4.0 out of 5 stars Only a slight disappointment, 17 Jan. 2009
Neil "neilm" (UK) - See all my reviews
It's great to see this compilation released on CD. Probably like most people who buy this, I have collection the Now Series for as long as I remember and now have all the ones released on CD.

My only disappointment is a lack of sleeve notes which all the Now albums I know of have, a brief comment on each track. Maybe the first release didn't have these, however it would have been added value to put some in as this is a 'birthday' release. It seems that as a Now album this is something 'missing' from my point of view.

The cut of Double Dutch here is a slightly different version to the one originally released on the vinyl LP and indeed is now the same version as on Malcolm McLaren's album but other than purest, this is not an issue for me.

I will look out with interest if this is popular enough for re-releases of Now 2 - 9 on CD too!

4.0 out of 5 stars Same tracks but not all original versions from the 1983 LP/cassette, 28 Jan. 2009
I was so, so excited for this release, and I am so happy for the prospect that "previously non-available on CD" versions of the Now series could be on the release schedule. I had the cassette of the first Now and I listened to it constantly, so much that even now when I hear one song end on the radio or on my iPod, I expect the next song from the Now 1 tracklisting to start up. I agree with the reviewer that mentioned there was nothing like this for us in the early 1980s.

While I am grateful that the tracks are the same and in the same order that they were listed on the first Now compilation, my four-star review is based on the weird feeling I have that these are not all the same versions that appeared on LP/cassette version. Call me a "purist," but I feel like (as some have mentioned) that a few of the songs are present in different versions. One of the main things that I love about the Now series (especially in this day and age) is that you get the radio versions/edits/remixes that don't appear on albums or even as digital tracks for sale. I wish my original cassette hadn't been stolen, but from what I can remember, it seems like the tracks that have different versions on this compilation are "Only For Love" and "Double Dutch." It also seems like the edits of "Total Eclipse of the Heart" and "Candy Girl" are different. Please correct me if I am wrong!

Overall I hope this signals a great era in reissues. The packaging is cute and nostalgic, no complaints on the cardboard slipcover casing. Thanks!

5.0 out of 5 stars The start of a tradition, 22 Feb. 2015
Amazon Customer (England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This was a great idea, to re-release the very first 'Now That's What I Call Music' album from 1983 to celebrate the double LP's 25th anniversary in 2009 on CD for the very first time. Considering the prices this now out-of-date re-issue is currently selling for some six years later, it might be time to bring it back out a third time.

The 'Now' series have always provided the biggest, most notable songs by the 'hot' artists, and on the first one there were a whopping 11 number one hits, including Men at Work's humorous 'Down Under', Bonnie Tyler's epic, Jim Steinman produced power-ballad 'Total Eclipse of the Heart', Rod Stewart's 'Baby Jane' and the UB40 song 'Red Red Wine'. The track listing is still considerably better than those three disc compilations of today that add in lots of filler to the mix, and other artists which are pleasing on my ear that feature here are Phil Collins, Howard Jones, Genesis and The Cure.

The sound quality is very good and the packaging of it is retro and cute, the two CDs are housed in a cardboard case with the original artwork on show. If only it wasn't selling at such 'collectors' prices these days, this re-release of the first 'Now' album would make an ideal gift, and it's disappointing that more re-issues of these early compilations didn't follow.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 8 Jan. 2009
Mr. S. Magee (Edinburgh) - See all my reviews
I have always hoped that the older vinyl now classics would be reissued on cd fantastic music from a great decade.
Lets hope that the pre cd albums all come out again

5.0 out of 5 stars I hope they re release all the early Now's !!, 29 Sept. 2012
Like most other people of the legendary era I owned a copy of Now 1 on vinyl.. I still own the original and the songs are sounding even better today than they did then.
To have the original Now on CD is great.. I love the packaging and vinyl look sleeves.. It's the first I've come across..
I just hope that they consider re releasing Now 1-10 as they are all fantastic albums..

4.0 out of 5 stars This Is Where It All Started, 21 Jan. 2009
DL Productions UK (Merseyside, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Now 1 was released in December 1983, and showcased all the best pop music could offer back then. Artists such as Duran Duran, UB40, Culture Club, and Rod Stewart were on it, and it came on double vinyl, and cassette. There wasn't a CD edition back then, so having this now, 25 years on is pretty cool.

The great thing about Now compilations back in the day, was they were varied and had a lot of music you enjoyed from the radio and Top Of The Pops, even the genres were varied, from the progressive rock of Genesis right through to UB40's laid back reggae - even a bit of new romantic for you too.

This CD has the best of 1983, including the remake of The Supremes "You Can't Hurry Love" from Phil Collins, UB40's cheesy "Red Red Wine" right through to darker tracks by The Cure, and lighter romantic stuff from The Human League.

This might not mean much to the younger generation, but Now was a breakthrough for us, it was the only compilation available that took all the best of 3 months music and made it available for a decent price. OK, a lot of the music is cheesy on it, but at least most of it was made by the artists, and written by songwriters, and actually performed by the people who wrote it.

The packaging is rather old skool too, a gatefold packaging, which reminds me of the vinyl I used to get back then.

Great to see this back, well worth a place in your collection.

5.0 out of 5 stars Now I Can't Believe My Luck!!! - Now 1, 12 Jan. 2009
D. Newton (Bath, Uk) - See all my reviews
Now That's What I Call Music Volume 1 (Re-Release Special Collectors Edition)

Hooray! For Now!!!
For years, many of us have collected the Now albums from the very first one way back in 1983 on Good old Vinyl. When incidentally i was a young 26 years old!! Before the advent of cd's!!! Incidentally, It took me years to find Now 1 & 2 on vinyl!
Then even though Cd's came available with Now 9, i chose to stay with the vinyl edition until Now 35!!! (When Vinyl Stopped on Now in 1996)
Now!! thru The years, I'm still collecting at 41 years old with the latest Now 71 and now finally what joy in discovering that EMI are reissueing the Original Now Albums On CD for The 1st Time!!!

Now I cant believe My Luck!!!

Now for This Reissue Cd Album - I've dug out my old Vinyl copy and each & Every Track is in the SAME ORDER as the original Vinyl Cardboard Copy!

The copy i recieved today courtesy of my girlfriend is a Limited Edition Cardboard Copy in the Cd Format, exactly the same artwork as the Original 1983 vinyl except for minor amendments inside the cover!
This is a good quality Collector's item and i hope EMI will do us the justice of reissueing Now 2 upwards!
NOW enjoy and can't wait for NOW 100!!! lol