5.0 out of 5 stars get your wallet out
Published on 3 Oct 2001

1.0 out of 5 stars Not what I remembered
Remembered liking Ry Cooder from the seventies. Bought this album, and while the arrangements and musicianship were great, I hate the way Cooder sings. Never play it.
Published 13 months ago by Rens

5.0 out of 5 stars get your wallet out, 3 Oct 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: Boomer's Story (Audio CD)
quite simply sublime. i searched high and low for this album in belfast in pre-Amazon days, and it remains a shrewd purchase. from the gentle, lulling maria elena and dark end of the street to the more uplifting, boomer's story, this album weaves together all of mr cooder's eclectic musical background into one smooth piece. rally round the flag casts a nostalgic glance back into american history and gives an insight into the life of the war weary patriot. this album must be in your collection - buy it now.

5.0 out of 5 stars Boomin' Good, 8 July 2006
Mrs. L. E. Ashworth "Coodercat" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Boomer's Story (Audio CD)
This is a must for all Ry Cooder admirers. The instrumentals are particularly good, with Dark End of the Street now one of my all-time favourites. The versions of President Kennedy and Good Morning Mr, Railroad Man have terrific instrumental breaks that hark back to the deep south of 70 years ago. Add this to your collection, you won't regret it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Feel good blues, 25 Jan 2001
This review is from: Boomer's Story (Audio CD)
One of his earlier albums when he was still the folk/blues name to drop, this is an early Cooder dip into the rich American cultural archive that would keep him going for years to come. Play it late at night with friends and some good Scotch and sing 'bury my body by the railroad, so I can watch the trains go by', then get your air guitar out and try to keep up with Ry's fingering.

5.0 out of 5 stars Listen to a Boomer's story, pay attention to what I say., 5 Mar 2011
A. Willard (Kent, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Boomer's Story (Audio CD)
A middle-class Californian white kid performing the music of the (mostly black) poor and dispossessed? Sounds like a recipe for disaster - but this is Ry Cooder, a man with more taste, not to mention talent, than is strictly fair.

He's made a lot of great music in his long, long career, (remember he was playing in Captain Beefheart's band in the mid 60's), but this, in my opinion, may be his finest moment, (though `Into The Purple Valley` runs it pretty close); `Americana' before the phrase was even thought of.

I've owned it, in various formats, for about the last 35 years, and, as the years go by, I seem to grow to love it more and more. The choice of material is impeccable; but what makes Cooder stand out is his obvious love for the songs, there's nothing over-reverential or timid about his versions, the playing and singing make the songs sound as if they could have been written yesterday. He's not a `great' singer by accepted standards, but there's an honesty about his performance which, certainly in the case of the old Civil War song `Rally `Round The Flag', is downright moving - one might almost be listening to some gruff old Yankee sergeant singing it round the campfire. Considering he was in his 20's when he recorded this, that's some achievement.

If I was to be picky, and I am, I'd say `Crow Black Chicken' is less than essential, but the title track, `Ax Sweet Mama', `Maria Elena', `Dark End Of The Street', 'Rally 'Round The Flag; and 'Comin' In On A Wing And A Prayer' are all marvellous. The album ends with 'Good Morning Mr Railroad Man', a song about a man with no home, no family and no prospects, but which still manages to be wonderfully cheery and life-affirming.

A wonderful album.

5.0 out of 5 stars Never bettered.., 30 Jun 2007
S. Reynolds (South Wales) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Boomer's Story (Audio CD)
I "borrowed" this LP off my father when I was in my late teens, he coming from the perspective of being a big Jazz fan, whilst I was worshipping at the altar of NWOBHM and Angus and his family/mates. I loved this record from the first time I heard it, and as ageing has spread my musical tastes as fast as my belly, I have a reasonable collection of blues music. Somehow though Ry Cooder is missing, and mostly because everything I listen to never quite sets me off the way this record did, and still does. Whilst BB and John Lee ploughed a pretty straight furrow over the years, Cooder seems to have followed every hedge and every tree in the field; and this album is the farmhouse: big, homely, and brings a smile every time you pull up the driveway.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, sustaining music., 11 Aug 2010
EM Eames "saw doctor" (Wem, Shropshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Boomer's Story (MP3 Download)
Looking back, we did not realise how lucky we were to get that steady stream of brilliant albums from Mr. Cooder. His later collaborations with various world music stars, and his recent California series, are all great and well worth having. But the freshness and sharpness of Boomers Story and the others in that run are unsurpassed. Puts to shame a lot of what passes for Americana these days!
Ted Eames

5.0 out of 5 stars Um, 14 Jun 2008
This review is from: Boomer's Story (Audio CD)
I cannot believe that there are so few comments about this album. It is, simply, one of the best. To go into how a copy of it turned up in a village in Somerset Uk in 1974 and changed my life would be too much. So, I'll just ask... No, on reflection, (too tired) I won't. I'll just say that it has a fantastic selection of great songs sung by Ry -- oh , so beautifully, and recorded beautifully. I am as far removed from a `techie' as anyone could be (see -- I cannot even spell it!), but when I bought my first expensive stereo in 1992, this was the test-disc I took to the shop. Mind, I also took `Sister' by Sonic Youth, which made the `experts' look at me with a mixture of dis-belief and un-belief, which, summed together, equlled distain. I am over it now. Just.

5.0 out of 5 stars Blues guitar playing at its best......, 8 July 2013
This review is from: Boomer's Story (Audio CD)
I liked all the tracks but especially the instrumentals - Dark End Of The Street & Cherry Ball Blues. Possibly the best album this atriste ever released!

4.0 out of 5 stars Its Ry Cooder - so its very good - but not his best, 26 April 2013
This review is from: Boomer's Story (Audio CD)
In terms of material, for me it's a mixed bag. Dark End Of the Street is Great, as are tracks like Crow Back Chicken.
I have to say though that Rally Round the Flag is a strange inclusion.It's obviously a patriotic song , but one I feel it's hard to add anything to.

I have this album - its Ry Cooder - and I like it , but the stuff he did in the eighties onward just sounds better to me.

If this had been the first Cooder album I'd bought instead of Get Rhythm, I don't know if I would have became the massive Ry Cooder fan I am today...

1.0 out of 5 stars Not what I remembered, 9 Aug 2013