Geraint Lewis, writing in the September 2008 issue of Gramophone magazine, rates this as the best modern recording of the Tallis Fantasia. '...an embodiment of all that is great in English music', he writes, which I wholeheartedly agree with. Which surely makes this disc a fantastic bargain.
Published on 17 Aug. 2008 by P. Duffy

3.0 out of 5 stars But the Thomas Tallis is lovely and I needed to replace a much loved Lark
i've just realised why I don't care that much for Vaughn Williams! But the Thomas Tallis is lovely and I needed to replace a much loved Lark Ascending
Published 3 months ago by Janet Crampton

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Best modern recording of the Tallis Fantasia (according to Gramophone), 17 Aug. 2008
P. Duffy (UK) - See all my reviews

4.0 out of 5 stars Something very English, 26 Jun. 2009
AK Howard - See all my reviews
I bought 2 copies of this Vaughan williams CD, one to illustrate a presentation of short pieces of writing on the theme of town and country, and the second as a prize for the member of the audience who could guess the name of the extract used (Lark Ascending). It stuck me as quintessentially representative of the atmosphere of the English countryside of my youth and that of my parents and grandparents. In those days, incidentally, we pronounced His name Ralph, not 'Rafe'.

5.0 out of 5 stars Old is good, 30 Jan. 2010
The choice of repertoire is excellent. Three of Vaughan Williams's masterpieces. There's the very big, very dark and loud 6th symphony. The lush and tuneful Thomas Tallis, and the pretty Lark Ascending. Just the right amount of light and shade.
The orchestra (well they are the house band for the Proms!), the conductor and the soloist are world class, and faultless.
Although the price tells you its not a recent recording (1990) you'd never know it(another fine pressing from Germany!).
Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't forget the 6th symphony!, 11 Jun. 2013
I agree with those who wrote that this is a wonderful disc. I have other very good performances of the 'Fantasia' (Barbirolli) and the 'Lark' (Bean and Boult), and I think we don't usually praise Tasmin Little enough, but I want to emphasis just how good Andrew Davis' performance of the 6th symphony is. I have Boult's EMI recording and also Handley's one but, notwithstanding my slight reservation about the passage for harps in the first movement, I think this my favourite of the three for it is so alive. Maybe we don't praise Andrew Davis enough? I'm saying that anyone who wants a really good 6th symphony need not look past this disc.

I hope that most of those who buy this disc explore the rest of VWs music. With respect to the symphonies I started many years ago with the 2nd but it took about five listens before I twigged (some will rightly guess it was the appearance of the girl selling lavender) but that's often the case with most good music, where the fruit lies concealed and patience is required to uncover it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Magical music, 10 Feb. 2012
What a beautiful piece of music The Lark Ascending is. I bought this for my wedding, and we had it playing while the guests assembled before the ceremony. It is exquisite and poignant,capturing the flight of the skylark as she soars upwards towards the heavens. There is something reminiscent of childhood about it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't miss this, 6 Feb. 2010
I originally purchased this at full price, when it was in Teldec's British Line series. It was a bargain at full price, and at bargain price it is a steal. Simply glorious performances of some essential English masterpieces.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful, 19 Mar. 2013
The most stunning piece of music ever. If you liked Master and Commander (music) then buy this, you will not be let down.

5.0 out of 5 stars This got me into classical music, 11 Oct. 2009
Sometimes you don't know where to start. This is a great place, most beautiful music.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another first rate Apex recording, 11 Feb. 2013
John HOLLAS (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Vaughan Williams : Symphony No.6, Fantasia On A Theme By Thomas Tallis & The Lark Ascending - Apex (MP3 Download)
Vaughan Williams and Andrew Davis always go well together. Here, the BBC Symphony Orchestra play the powerful Sixth Symphony and the ever popular Tallis Fantasia. As a bonus Tasmin Little plays The Lark Ascending. All are very well played and recorded. This is a fine bargain for Vaughan Williams fans.

5.0 out of 5 stars LATE CHRISTMAS PRESENT, 4 Jan. 2014
Went down a wow with my wife, who decided at the last minute that she wanted "Lark Ascending" for Christmas. Arrives immediately, and costs very little. All I had to do was secretly upload it to the iPod, and wait for her Christmas day suprise. Great.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›