5.0 out of 5 stars America's Ideal Piece of History
Published on 21 Aug. 2000 by JIM DOYLE

1.0 out of 5 stars They're great but... Beware of Updates!
Published 23 months ago by JamJar

5.0 out of 5 stars America's Ideal Piece of History, 21 Aug. 2000
JIM DOYLE (PORTSMOUTH United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Too often classified as Crosby, Stills and Nash wannabes, America had a lot to offer in their own right and this compilation of their work from 1972 to 1976 is an ideal starter for anyone who wants to get with their catchy, acoustic, harmonic style. The best known track, "Horse With No Name" was written several years before it hit and is an early ecology anthem. The band's only UK top 10 hit, it is still enduring and a staple for oldies playlists. "Ventura Highway" although not as big a hit is a song that lyrically works on many levels and has even been treatised on the Internet. A criticism of America is that their acoustic approach meant so many tracks sounded the same, but if you listen to the slow piano driven, "I Need You", the country influenced, "Don't Cross The River", the MOR treatment on "Muskrat Love" and the upbeat "Woman Tonight", then you will know that you are getting an album of variety and quality. A 5 star album all the way.

5.0 out of 5 stars America-History-The fun bit!, 4 Nov. 2003
N. Wilson "nigel-wilson" (Bristol, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
I am not sure of when America were around, but I have listened to them since i was very young. I have great memorys of listening to this album in the car and on holiday with my parents and i love the music on it so much it's unbelievable.
Each song on here is so individual and unique and really shows where todays music bussiness is going wrong.
The opening song, horse with no name, is my favorite song of all time, and this simple song of guitar and voice is really beautiful. In the summer it makes you feel lively and bouncy and in winter it brings a sense of warmth to the listener, and the other songs are just as beautiful and also have such a wonderful effect on listeners. All the songs on here are of a country style and the vocals are just magnificent. They are soft and soothing and lovely and relaxing to hear. The careful strumming of the guitar will send tingles up your spine and i think everyone can enjoy from this truly brillient collection of songs- which is fantastic to kick back and relax to, to cry to, to get warm to, to remember, tresure and love.

5.0 out of 5 stars AMERICA 'Greatest Hits - History', 9 Oct. 2009
At the time in 1972/73 the Anglo-American trio America were really the flavour of the month & after the twilight hours of the 60s had faded were holding the flag of good sounds high. My brother was a big fan & he bought all their singles & LPs, and so had the chance to appreciate them in depth. Their music now (in 2009) may appear initially to not have aged so well, probably as some have observed, because of the simplistic backing of generally acoustic guitars - which by today's standards sounds fairly tinny & light weight. But it is this very purity & simplicity (almost folk rock) which is enduring and as you turn up the volume then it really is still stunning. Their lead vocals excel as Messrs Peek, Beckley & Bunnell each take turns - this adds interest. Harmonies sometimes appear a little bland & too sugary (lacking the energy of say DDDBM&T & Hollies) but they are pretty with flashes between Crosby, Stills & Nash, Simon & Garfunkel, Bee Gees, Lindisfarne, Doobie Brothers, and they really did carve out their own unique harmony style. Lyrically their songs are deeper than you may think subtly touching on ecology/environment, war, nostalgic places & lost loves. Highlights are 'Horse With No Name' (still a great track), 'Ventura Highway', 'Don't Cross The River', 'Tin Man' and 'Sister Golden Hair' which all have a positive vibrant swagger about them, plus the slower numbers 'I Need You' & 'Sandman' (virtually ballads) are also great. There is not a poor track here and those melodies just keep swirling around your head. Thankfully correct chronological order is maintained, allowing the tracks to flow & showing the development of the band. What is most unusual about this release is that it originally came out in October 1975 on LP (hence it's small running time of 38m22s by today's CD standards), becoming an instant million seller (platinum) then. It remained in print until coming out on CD in the late 80s and then has stayed that way ever since. Now 34 years later with the exact same track listing, with always enough sales to keep it going like that, and seemingly still the most popular release in the America catalogue today. Beautiful folk rock country harmony pop.

5.0 out of 5 stars Clean cut American soft rock, 28 Dec. 2009
Peter Wade (Colchester England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Clean cut American soft rock

It was some time in the early seventies it must have been somewhere between 1973- 1976 that I went on holiday to a Butlins with my family that is my parents even though I was in my twenties. The red coats did a performance of this great acoustic song that they did on stage and I remembered it when I got home. I discovered it was The Sandman. I was so impressed I looked out for it and followed the career of America.

They were a very tuneful group in the style of Crosby Stills Nash and Young. Every trivia fan knew that they were the sons of US servicemen in Britain and they had a pretty good career with great hits like Ventura Highway and A Horse with No Name.

Sister Golden Hair is a great song and you can't help but like it. Great strumming reminiscent of My Sweet Lord. To me this is American soft rock at its finest.

You can imagine clean cut American boys singing this stuff. Tunes like Ventura highway reeks of California and the sunshine and surfing and the good life. You can't imagine anyone writing a similar song about the M25 and having the same effect unless of course it is the Road to Hell.

It is all about tanned boys straight teeth and large cars in the sunshine down great wide roads.
If will lift your spirit even if you are driving to work down English country lanes in the winter.I treat myself every now and then and listen to it again and again.

5.0 out of 5 stars History - The best of America, 2 Sept. 2009
Wm Wyndham (Cape Town, South Africa) - See all my reviews
This CD is a compilation of America's greatest hits. This band is actually English and started performing in the early 1970's in the UK. They songs had risen to the top charts in the UK and eventually they were discovered in the United States. They have enjoyed many years of successful performances. Most songs are sentimental and remind you of a teenage first love or a heatbreak. Some tracks such as "I Need You", "Horse With No Name", and "Tinman" have typical English melodies and remind one of some surrealistic English countryside scene or a lost love in the 1960's. Other songs are typically American in their composition and theme. "Sister Goldenhair" touches the Vietnam War theme and the life of a war correspondent, and "Daisy Jane" gives one a mixed sad and joyful feeling of arriving somewhere in some small town in the USA at night with a loved one awaiting. This CD accurately portrays the feeling and reality of a time and an era, which is now in the past. Nevertheless, most of us recall those days, when life was simpler and relationships as well as people were warmer and more spontaneous.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very easy on the ears, 1 July 2008
L. Taylor (Leicester) - See all my reviews
I got this CD for my brother in law, not knowing who they where. He said that i must know the track 'A Horse with no Name', but I didn't know what he was on about (I'm a few years younger than him).
Once he played me the CD I did know the track, along with a few others. So I decided to buy it to, as it's a great chilling CD. Real Sunny Sunday afternoon music that will appeal to old and young.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nostalgia came to mind, 31 Dec. 2011
I was sat down with the wife, nice glass of wine in hand and decided to have a look through some of my old records and came across some old "America albums", surprisingly she said she had never heard of them so I thought let us listen to a couple of tracks, she loved it, hence we ordered the greatest hits album,I was a bit worried when I saw the words "remastered", I had nothing to worry about it sounded just how I remembered them,maybe because I have just celebrated the big "50"I can't even pick a favourite track as they are all brilliant! ,the price wow,don't know how Amazon do it, hence I have ordered quite a lot more,anyway guys this album is well worth a listen.

4.0 out of 5 stars America's Greatest Hits., 6 Jan. 2015
I think the better tracks are A Horse With No Name, Sister Golden Hair, Daisy Jane, Woman Tonight and Ventura Highway. Some tracks are a bit quiet, slow and depressing. They're okay but I think the more upbeat songs are better. A Horse With No Name was in GTA San Andreas, Woman Tonight is a funky song. Sister Golden Hair is my favourite. The Story of a Teenager is also a song I quite like that doesn't feature on here. 3.5 out of 5 but rounded up as amazon don't allow half stars.

1.0 out of 5 stars They're great but... Beware of Updates!, 5 April 2013
Beware! Before you buy this album, check out their other greatest hits compilations... this one only has half the tracks! With at least one glaring omission that I've just discovered... The Border: where is it? Why isn't it on here..? Or was it released after 1975 (which I believe is when this was last released?), in which case, this album should be deleted as it has been superseded!
To my dismay I bought this before discovering my error. So now I have to buy the other, updated album, which by the way, is also on the Warner Bros label...
It makes my blood boil!

4.0 out of 5 stars America - History, 30 Nov. 2011
This is the first cd of America I bought. I primarily bought it for "Horse with no name" I just love that track. All in all this is a good buy, "Ventura Highway" another well known and lovely song. Lots of good music, easy going and relaxing.