5.0 out of 5 stars A great opportunity
I'll start of by saying, if it isn't obvious, this is not a game.
I guess for most DS owners, this won't appeal. There's no gameplay at all, and applications like this can annoy a lot of people.

Published on 31 Dec 2008 by BritishHobo

2.0 out of 5 stars The classic book collection has been expurgated
Published on 22 Jan 2009 by Zena Diamandis

5.0 out of 5 stars A great opportunity, 31 Dec 2008
This review is from: 100 Classic Book Collection (Nintendo DS) (Video Game)
I'll start of by saying, if it isn't obvious, this is not a game.

But, I love it. This one, tiny cartridge contains 100 books, the 100 books you NEED to read but never have, or at least I haven't. This game is a great opportunity for me to finally read them.
It's very easy to use. You choose how you're 'handed' and then hold the DS like a book, like in Brain Training. If you are right handed, you hold it the normal Brain Training way, and if you're left, the left handed Brain Training way.
Obvious.

The DS shows a shelf of books, spanning over both screens which you con scroll through using either the stylus or the d-pad (or the A/X/Y/B buttons depending which hand you use). All you have to do is tap a book to pull it off the shelf and read.
You can read information on the author, on the book itself, or just get straight into it. You read it like a book, using the stylus to turn the page bysliding it in the direction you want to turn.

If you don't want to use a stylus for some odd reason, you can use the control pad. Depending on which way you hold the DS, the D-pad or lettered buttons turn the pages, though you can also set the L and R buttons to turn it.

You can program pretty much any button configuration, and use any button you want to turn pages.

100 Classic Books also contains one other feature that, while not importaant, is a very great addition. This is the music. It contains a few different choices of relaxing, easy listening music to use whilst reading.

100 Classic Books DS is brilliant, simple as. It's easily portable, soyou can read it anywhere. It's simple to use, you can just pick it up and read it for a bit whilst waiting.
It's easy to stop as well. You can set three bookmarks in each book, so you can pick up where you left off within seconds, no fiddling needed. Just tap the screen.

No, it's not a game, there's no unlockable stuff (unless you count the extra 10 downloadable books) and no 'replay value' but it's definetly the best cart to grace my DS yet.
With 100 books, 100 Classic Books will last you pretty much forever, and at the bargain price it is, it's too good not to buy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 4 Jan 2009
This review is from: 100 Classic Book Collection (Nintendo DS) (Video Game)
What a great addition to the DS list and such great value for money.
All the books are the complete original versions and there are extra books to download.
The text size is changeable, so even with my poor old eyes I can easily read it without my glasses.
I hope there will be further collections with maybe thrillers, Sc-fi, Comedy etc

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Potential!!, 8 Jan 2009
This review is from: 100 Classic Book Collection (Nintendo DS) (Video Game)
I wasn't too sure about this at first, my main problem is that the DS screen is so small that it's hard to fit a lot of text on to it, even at the smallest possible font size. This means having to flick on to the next page every couple of seconds and I found it really hard to get as engrossed in the book as I would do with a normal paper book. However, I stuck with it and got used to it and by the time I was coming to the end of my first book I was completely hooked and couldn't put it down!!

The choice of books on this game is a little bit random. For example there are two Sherlock Holmes books, but they are not the first two books of the series, they are from some other random spot in the series

Somebody asked another reviewer if there was a dictionary - in fact there is! I have only read Tom Sawyer so far and yes there was a dictionary - but it only had two entries for the entire book!!

The DS works very well as a reader, the backlight is at a perfect level, it's easy to turn the pages, go back to the main menu, go to a different book or do whatever you want to do. If you close the DS, you are at exactly the same place when you open it. If you turn it off, it asks you if you want to go to your previous location when you turn it on again. You also have the option of placing bookmarks.

So although I'm not 100% happy with the choice of book in this collection, as an experiment to see if the DS can be used as a reader, tha answer is a resounding YES. I look forward to more collections coming out!!

5.0 out of 5 stars A Bookworm's Joy, 30 Dec 2008
Mrs V (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: 100 Classic Book Collection (Nintendo DS) (Video Game)
Not only is this excellent value for money when you consider how many books are on the cartridge what is even better is that it is a joy to use. Everything to ensure you have a comfortable read has been thought of, from the use of music - sea, forest, classic, easy listening etc there are others or you can switch it off, orientation can be altered as can the button configurations. You can choose to use the stylus or buttons for page turning, bookmarking, chapter searching etc and throughout there is a simple but effective tutorial. What a well thoughtout piece of software.

Yesterday one of my grandchildren (11yrs) picked this up and we spent the rest of the day in virtual peace as he read. As this is something he would never do willingly unless it was homework just speaks volumes.

4.0 out of 5 stars Amazing!, 24 April 2009
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: 100 Classic Book Collection (Nintendo DS) (Video Game)
This isn't really a game, but I love it all the same! I'm a bookworm and like taking something to read with me, everywhere I go. I've read all of my books so many times, so I was in search of some new ones to read and heard about this game.

I thought it would be much easier to just carry my DS with me in my bag instead of a heavy book! This game is so good. I read the books while I'm waiting for appointments, in my lunch break at work, and while I'm relaxing - it sure beats television in the evening!

I'm currently enjoying Alice's Adventures in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll, and have finally managed to read all of Jane Austen's books. There are even a few books here that I had to read at school, and didn't enjoy. I'll give them a second chance!

Great value game, I love it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, 6 Jan 2009
This review is from: 100 Classic Book Collection (Nintendo DS) (Video Game)
The 100 Classic Book Collection is perfect for anyone who loves reading. The 100 provided here are the sort of "classic" books that many people will feel they ought to read at some point in their lives and this collection will make doing so a whole lot easier. There is a tutorial the first time you use the "game" to familiarise you with how everything works. It's very easy to understand and once you've got the hang of it, you'll soon be engrossed in a good book.
While you are reading, you can access explanatory footnotes to the text from the page menu if they are available and when you want to stop reading, you can use a bookmark so you don't lose your place. The text can also be adjusted in size so it is comfortable for you to read and you are also able to choose whether to have background music (BGM) or not and if so, what sort. Everything really has been thought of to make reading on your DS as enjoyable as possible and there are 10 extra books available to download via Wi-Fi.
Personally, I love 100 Classic Book Collection and will be recommending it to everyone I know. I hope that in future there may be more collections of this sort with more books made available. It'll never quite replace my real books at home, but it does mean that I can read anywhere, anytime on my DS and that is fabulous!

5.0 out of 5 stars OMG I love this thing. When's the next one coming out?, 6 April 2009
This review is from: 100 Classic Book Collection (Nintendo DS) (Video Game)
I've read several of the books so far and I am completely in love with this. I can read in the dark on my DS so I don't keep my husband awake and the relaxing beach sound actually helps me go to sleep. It's so easy to use and much easier on the hands than a real novel. I love classic books so this is ideal for me but I'm already wishing I had a DSi so I could download more!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent!, 7 Jan 2009
This review is from: 100 Classic Book Collection (Nintendo DS) (Video Game)
This is extremely convenient to use, and the font size is large enough to make the books easy to read. It is great that they are in their original unabridged form.

Moreover, travelling as a passenger in a darkened car at night, there is now an opportunity to read something enjoyable. I have already started "The Hunchback of Notre Dame"!

Once you have chosen your book from the 100 provided, you can put the stylus away and turn the pages backwards or forwards by merely pressing the "cross" button on the machine. There is even a "fast forward" for those who want to view the book's ending prematurely!

I hope the product will be a great success, so that further cartridges or downloads become available in due course.

2.0 out of 5 stars The classic book collection has been expurgated, 22 Jan 2009
Zena Diamandis (U.K) - See all my reviews
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: 100 Classic Book Collection (Nintendo DS) (Video Game)
I recently bought the 100 classic book collection and was initially very pleased with it and decided that my first classic to read would be Jonathon Swift's Gullivers Travels. I am presently 2 thirds through and realise by checking it against the original (found on line) that whole controversial chunks have been cut out. e.g. sections describing urination and being abused by Glumdalclitch. I expect to find more. I haven't checked any of the other books but I suspect that the other classics have been similarly treated. This is most disappointing and I definitly would not have bought this "game" had I known.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best 'game' I own., 1 Mar 2009
This review is from: 100 Classic Book Collection (Nintendo DS) (Video Game)
Ok, this is obviously not a 'game' and many will think it is a totally rubbish idea and really stupid having books on a DS, as I once did also. Thank God I read more reviews on it though, because soon the idea had grown on me and I found myself rushing out one weekend for a copy of my own! It has completely changed me, as before I would only read occasionally at school (I am 14) and now most of my time is spent reading not from a book, but from a DS screen! I mean, wow, what a brilliant idea! There are so many different books to choose from, I have mainly been trying to dig out all the books with animals in them lol, and am currently enjoying Black Beauty, but have also been introduced to author such as Jane Austen. The addition of music is superb as I often now find listening to a fire crackling in the background very relaxing while reading. Turning the pages is really easy and quite fun to do actually when you are used to turning them normally with a real book, plus as other reviewers have said it is so much easier to carry a DS rather than a heavy book.
Overall this is definitely the best game I have on DS and I am thoroughly enjoying reading books that I would never have read otherwise. It is great for those who are already book lovers or is also brilliant for introducing those who prefer films and rarely read at all. It is a 'game' that really is for all ages and will last you a long, long time! Buy a.s.a.p!

100 Classic Book Collection (Nintendo DS)
6.42