5.0 out of 5 stars Re-recorded and sounds fantastic
Laughed my head off when I heard he was re-recording it. I thought, why? It was then I realised it could be quite good. It is a classic piece of music. When I heard the promo I thought it sounded fantastic.
Just bought it today and it sounds fresh and alive. Anyone who liked the original fear not. The music is the same as original but Oldfield has used 90% (he said...
Published on 26 May 2003 by Fleece

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but not brilliant
This is an interesting 'remix', which is worth a listen as the music, although fairly similar to the original is played differently enough for it to be fresh. However im not sure that it lives up to the original. I thought that it might have been a jazzed up and more powerful version of tubular bells but instead it is more subtle and probably musically more complex. I...
Published on 5 Jun 2003 by Amazon Customer

2.0 out of 5 stars Rubbish, 2 July 2013
K. P. F. Fletcher (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Tubular Bells (Audio CD)
It is very difficult to work out which is the old version, the digitalised version, the 'improved' version or any other version that has been produced. I bought the improved by mistake, (don't bother) and then the enhanced. Again, don't really bother. It sounded great at the time but now times have moved on, and this cd hasn't.
Sad really, but that's life.

4.0 out of 5 stars EXCELLENT BUT REVIEWS MISINFORMED, 16 Oct 2004
Mr. J. R. Howard "JRH" (Lowestoft) - See all my reviews
I have to admit I like this album as I have liked Mike Oldfield since my Father introduced the music to me as a young lad. I agree with all these reviews but I am only writing this review because I think there has been a misunderstanding as to the exact content of the discs.
In the version I bought from Amazon some time ago, I acquired a TWO disc set. Disc ONE is the original album in only conventional stereo and disc TWO is the DVD disc containing only FOUR tracks with a total of only just under SEVEN MINUTES OF MUSIC IN DTS 5.1 SURROUND and a short video.
I would like to be wrong but these reviews make it look like the whole album is in DTS 5.1 surround, but it is not.
If you think you have otherwise, I would be very interested. The serial number on the spine of my version is: 2 49921. Does this differ to any of the copies these reviewers have?

4.0 out of 5 stars It could have been worse, 12 Oct 2006
J. Alan "JohnA" (Greater London) - See all my reviews
It's not the most mind-blowing SACD out there, but still it is an improvement on the HDCD version, itself a mild improvement on the older versions.

Tubular bells is mainly a gimmick anyway, so it fits right in with surround.

2.0 out of 5 stars The Bells, The Bells. No more Bells Please!, 9 Feb 2004
To celebrate the 30th Aniversary of Tubular Bells, Mike Oldfield released this. Bad move Mike, I have been a fan for 30 years and I personally feel there are some good pieces in this remake of the classic 1973 Album but it don't work. I played it a couple of times, but found it doesn't give you the same sensation and it now sits in my collection.

1.0 out of 5 stars The curate's egg - good in parts, but sadly lacking in many, 1 Aug 2001
This review is from: Tubular Bells (Audio CD)
When I first heard Tubular Bells, many years ago, it swept me away. I was a "fan" - then, after at least 15 years without a copy, I've just bought it again and almost listenned to it "as new".
Tubular bells, when it first appeared was valluable for it's innovation and the leading edge of technology that it utilized. Now that the innovation is old, and the technology is overtaken, it must stand or fall by other standards.
It falls.
Ultimately this album is a series of experiments in tone and theme - some interesting, some less so - which are not satisfactorily blended into a meaningful whole. It still has it's moments - but, as a homogeneous work, it has little to recommend it.
In it's day it's innovation allowed us to forget it's weaknesses - today it doesn't have anywhere to hide.

2.0 out of 5 stars Boring boring boring..., 24 Oct 2007
I've seen a lot of reviews over the years saying what a masterpiece this is. He wrote and played the whole piece himself etc etc etc. When you listen to it there is an interesting melody which is played over and over again. There is also a lot of boring filler which I guess is supposed to be atmospheric. If you haven't heard this before and wonder what the fuss is about, don't worry your not missing a thing.

1.0 out of 5 stars Big Mistake, 27 April 2013
This review is from: Tubular Bells 2003 (MP3 Download)
Excellent CD but I already had it so did not know why I purchased it should have called and cancelled it

1.0 out of 5 stars Why bother?, 17 Feb 2009
J. E. Holmes (Wales) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Tubular Bells (Audio CD)
Why remaster utter garbage like this? Rubbish then worse now. if you've never heard this and are curious, then take my advice; Go mow the lawn instead. Widely panned by critics and almost everyone who has a musical bone in his/her body. If you already have a copy, give it to someone you don't like.

1.0 out of 5 stars Maybe you were really looking for Parsifal?, 3 Aug 2008
This review is from: Tubular Bells (Audio CD)
Amazon, for some reason, has suggested to me that I might want to buy this.

Ah no.

If you are really desperate to hear tubular bells, can I suggest a good recording of Parsifal? It has the virtue of being, if only subjectively, shorter.

Tubular Bells 2003