PS3 Wireless keypad (PS3)
Price:£22.95+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on 6 January 2009
I did not want to submit a review within 5 minutes of opening the box... I have had this keypad for three weeks, and it is easier than using the PS3 controller to enter text in Playstation Home. The keypad clamps over the controller, is light and well built, and does not make the controller awkward or unbalanced. There is no USB cable packed with it. From full charge, I have got about four days use from it (based on between 3-4 hours use each day).

I have large hands, so can easily reach the keys, however, the keys are small. It takes a little getting used to when entering other characters using the green and orange shoulder buttons on the keypad. This keypad does not replace a full keyboard. It is ideal for quick messages, web browsing etc. For long typing sessions, you will need a full keyboard.

The track pad function is not very responsive, so I do not use it as the sticks on the controller are better at this aspect. According to my usage over the three weeks I have had it, here are the pros and cons:

Pros:
Small and light
Fits nicely onto the PS3 controller
Well-constructed
Excellent for use in Home and during gaming

Cons:
Small keys. People with large hands may find it tricky when typing, unless you are accustomed to using a Blackberry mobile phone.
Track pad option is not very responsive

What I would like to see in a version 2 of this Keypad:
Slightly bigger keys
Backlighting for low light or dark conditions
Improved track pad

In short, it is a very good device and I recommend it. If you have large hands, it is worth trying it out first if you can before buying one.
on 21 October 2009
I have owned a PS3 for just over 1 year, I found going on Sony home and typing txt to my friends a bit of a pain till I got the Sony Keypad. It was easy to fit and mine came with a USB charge lead. If you use the sixaxis controller and add the keypad then it does take a little getting used to the extra weight. The buttons are a little small for big stubby fingers like mine, but im used to it now. It also can be used as a mouse when net surfing via the middle button. Overall a welcome addition to your joypad if like me you spend a lot of time typing messages out or on the internet. It holds it's charge for quite a long time, about 6 - 10 hours of use.
on 26 December 2008
You'll be amazed how small this keypad is, though I suppose it needs to be to fit on the controller.

The build quality is excellent and what you expect from Sony. The individual keys are small but suprisingly I can still effectively type text quickly and with few errors, even with my bigger than average hands. Though I do find myself looking closely at the keypad while I'm typing to make sure I'm hitting those tiny little buttons correctly.

The controller as widely explained clips onto the controller - which it does very securely and without hindering access to any of the controller buttons. The keypad is light but I've got to say that I feel the difference in the weight when combined with the controller, but overall the controller/keypad combo when held are quite light still. Overall it does the job well, but you're not going to want to type lengthy emails - I think it's good for relatively short messages on Home or when chatting - but a lengthy email writer (for example) then I think you'll be using your trusty PC keyboard.

The downsides:

The mouse pad feature doesn't work very well and I think most people will continue to use the thumbsticks to guide the mouse pointer - they're just easier and more accurate than the mouse pad on the keypad. Not a real problem.

I use two controllers - one for use while the other is charging. The problem with the keypad is that I will have to unclip and then clip from one controller to the other. Although it's relatively easy to do it is a bit of annoyance as it's not just a simple clip-on clip-off - you need to be sure you're bending one side of the clip to hook/unhook. The solution to this is just to leave the keypad off the controller and use it seperately - though this has the disadvantage that you have to put-down the controller to use the keypad, and vice versa.

I feel that an entirely seperate remote control like keypad (without the clip) might have been better with slightly bigger keys. These types of keypads exist for the PS3 but they are not Sony made and not bluetooth - meaning you'll have a receiver unit plugged into a USB port.

Overall I highly recommend the Sony Keypad, it does the job for short messages and surfing but it's not the perfect solution for all possible uses (long emails). So if you want to use your PS3 as a PC (for email as well as surfing) then I'd get a proper USB keyboard.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
This is a great accessory and made to the high quality I have come to expect from Sony. It works a treat and is easy to attach to the controller. My only issues is I have quite big hands and the keys are quite small however just like my blackberry as soon as im used to it all will be fine.

The battery lasts really well too.

I feel this is a must for PS Home! Interaction has never been so fun.

5/5 from me!
on 30 January 2009
After changing to the PS3 from the 360 i've decided that, due to the terrible voice support on the PS3, most people just message. This keypad is great to quickly text and move to messages and friends lists. Its small so you do have to be a bit careful with the buttons but i can put up with that as i don't have to use the stupid PS3 input thing.
It does make the controller slightly top heavy but its very easy to clip on and off and you can still use it when it is not attached to the controller anyway.
Not sure why there isn't a buy from Amazon option at the moment but i paid £18, worth every penny until Sony sort out some better voice support.
on 2 February 2010
Although it is very well made and it fits perfectly with the SONY dualshock, it is very hard to type with your thumbs because, in the natural position, they does not reach the keys, so you have to release the controller and handle it again. This must sound funny, but it is not. Keys are so tiny that in most of the times you do not know whether you have pressed a key or not. Again, keys are so small and they do not have backlit so, unless you have a well lighted room, it is very hard to type. The "touch pad" function is very smart, but is not precise.

I hardly suggest to try it with your hands before buying it.
on 11 January 2010
Playstation Home, Web browsing & searching got so much fun after i purchased this keyboard & it fits to the wireless controller just perfectly & will not interfere with gaming controls at all.

Most of all..Its not mentioned anywhere, but this keyboard acts as a touch pad to move the mouse when needed & also can be paired to other Bluetooth keyboard supported devices!

If you are into web browsing & playstation home chatting and stuff, buy this & you will love this.
Even if you are not, this is a handy gadget to have around as you might need it at some point & it looks nice.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
I got this as I was fedup with using the onscreen keyboard and for the small price it seemed a good addon.
This Sony branded keyboard fits the controller very well but does make it a bit front-heavy but not a problem once I got used to it.
Great for entering URLs as well as messaging/insulting other players :-) I have large hands so I was worried I'd be pressing 4 keys at the same time as I presume this was tested/designed in Japan - but actually it's ok.
The 'mouse' control works very well and I was delighted to find out this bonus feature as I was unware of it.
on 11 February 2010
Neat little unit that fits on the controller unit, little is the oprative word. Bit fiddly to use, so I would recommend that if you want to input text regularly you get a larger keyboard. I have tried a usb keyboard and it works okay.
on 1 October 2009
The keyboard is easy to use and works straight away after plugging it in, it allows you to type a lot quicker and easier than the standard text input. It fits nice and snug on the controller and doesn't get in the way although I've found it's best to remove it when it's not being used as it does make the controller slightly more heavy.

It's not anywhere near as easy to use as a standard keyboard because of the size of the keys and the fact that you'll need to use one hand to type and the other to hold the controller still. Touch typing might be possible but so far I haven't been able to do it. Saying that, there are limitations on what can be done with a keyboard like this because of the size it needs to be so you would be hard pushed to find anything better.

Something you should keep in mind is that although you can type messages to other people much more quickly than with a standard controller, if the other people don't have the keyboard they'll only be able to reply at a much slower rate as may prefer not to. So you may find it's only really useful if the people you're talking to also have a keyboard.

See one answered question