Format: MP3 Download|Change
Price:£9.59

on 5 December 2012
I've been listening to this recording of Handel's Messiah for a while now, and there was something about it that was irking me. It wasn't until I listened to it on earphones I discovered the full horror of the issue - Colin Davis is humming along to the music, and it is audible enough to be extremely irritating, even more so once you become aware. I can't actually listen to this version any more and am looking for a similarly recorded version as, humming aside, it is a fine version.

Others have mentioned the humming doesn't bother them, but for me, it's like having a stranger just behind your shoulder humming away whilst you're trying to focus on the actual music. I wouldn't put up with that - why would I put up with it on the actual recording?

In summary, a thoroughly fine but tainted recording.
on 11 January 2013
This is a very good CD, with the complete Messiah. The recording is good and very clear, and it's easy to understand the words. I do agree with another reviewer I read before purchasing this recording, that you can hear a voice which is not of the singers. I don't know if it's the conductor or somebody talking too close to a microphone, but it can be a bit irritating, and sometimes I have to consciously ignore it.
on 10 November 2012
Another faultless collection especially if want to hear Baroque era at its finest. However it was a little unvaried for me personally.
on 8 January 2013
First download so chose without research. Like Handel but most pieces aren't varied enough for me. Study before buying advisable.