5.0 out of 5 stars 'ONE OF THE MOST SUCCESSFUL 'FOLK-ACT'S' OF ALL TIME'
'Peter Yarrow' (Noel) Paul Stookey' and 'Mary Travers' perhaps, almost indeed
the most successful and certainly the best loved 'Folk-Singers' ever.
The American Trio known as 'Peter, Paul and Mary' rose to popularity during the
early sixties, here in the U.K they had a string of Chart Entries throughout the
decade.
The group continued to...
Published 9 months ago by rbmusicman

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but not all to my taste.
Enjoyed most of this cd and having opened it and played it there is some I don't like so unlike one rotten customer of mine I will not be asking for my money back.
Published 1 day ago by Amazon Customer

5.0 out of 5 stars 'ONE OF THE MOST SUCCESSFUL 'FOLK-ACT'S' OF ALL TIME', 9 May 2014
rbmusicman (U.K) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
'Peter Yarrow' (Noel) Paul Stookey' and 'Mary Travers' perhaps, almost indeed
the most successful and certainly the best loved 'Folk-Singers' ever.
The American Trio known as 'Peter, Paul and Mary' rose to popularity during the
decade.
The group continued to perform over 50 years until 'Mary' died in 2009, 'Peter and
Paul' continued performing as a duo.
This album contains pretty much all the numbers many of us still remember to this
day.
Their first Chart entry in the U.K was 'Lemon Tree' (Chart 35 '1962') followed up the
same year by 'If I Had a Hammer' (Chart 10 '1962) the following year, despite the
group explosion in the U.K their next hit was 'Puff the Magic Dragon' (Chart 2 '1963)
again that year 'Bob Dylan's' - 'Blowing in the Wind' (Chart 2 '1963) followed by
'Don't Think Twice, It's All Right' (Chart 9 '1963') then 'Stewball' (Chart 35 '1963)
Though 1963 was their most successful year in terms of Chart entries they continued
to pepper the Chart right up to 1969.....The most successful entries during that time
being 'I Dig Rock and Roll Music' (Chart 9 '1969') 'Day is Done' (Chart 21 '1969)
and 'Leaving on a Jet Plane' (Chart 1 '1969') The latter their one number one (U.K)
I remember back in the early sixties buying a E.P of theirs with 'Lemon Tree' Blowing
in The Wind' 'If I Had a Hammer' and 'Where Have all the Flowers Gone' on-board
(Still own it) Of course 'Peter. Paul and Mary' had World-Wide appeal back then, this
collection has all their U.K hits on-board other than 'Tell it On The Mountain'
The music scene gladly always seem to have a slot for artists that quite simply just sing
pleasant songs - easy listening.
Many will remember 'Peter, Paul and Mary' in my opinion this is probably the album to
own, housing almost all the songs we remember them for. (Playing it Now as I write)

5.0 out of 5 stars Remember Peter Paul and Mary, 26 Mar. 2009
Tiger Red (Manchester England) - See all my reviews
Although I never bought a Peter Paul and Mary record in the 60's you always heard their music around you. Listening to this brings back memories of many of the important events you would see on the television coming from America, the Civil Rights movement,Martin Luther King,the anti Vietnam demos and their music and presence was always nearby.What a great CD it is and how nostalgic it is. I'm still not sure about the stories of what Puff the Magic Dragon means but Stewball is a real treasure , very American folksy.I think it is a brilliant collection of songs,great harmonies and well worth purchasing.And of course I never drank water I only drank wine

4.0 out of 5 stars A soundbite of an era log ago!, 3 Nov. 2009
"Bilgescraper" (Shropshire, England) - See all my reviews
This is a CD of music from an era when rock and roll dominated the scene, to the great concern of parents and authorities alike, often overshadowing less contentious folk music.

The recordings of Peter Paul and Mary demonstrate how folk music of the era could be adopted by young and talented artists and hold its own against the influence other more controversial genres.

Unlike many of today's manufactured boy bands and groups Peter Paul and Mary could actually sing, play their own instruments, and write beautiful music - in their own unique style.

Their music is a true today as it was decades ago, and just as beautiful. If you love music created by fellow music lovers add this to your collection.

5.0 out of 5 stars So many definitives!, 8 Jun. 2010
Jack Chakotay "Ender Brazil" (Northern Ireland) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This is my first music review so bear with me. As you can tell from my previous reviews, I like people to share my experience of the product. It's kinda harder to do with music and I certainly am not gonna quote lyrics.

Thankfully, there is an easier way and this is my get out of jail card:
1) Open new tab and go to Youtube.
2) search for 500 miles (possibly add in Peter Paul and Mary)
3) see them reach out to you those decades ago.
4) feel the shivers.

There are so many definitives on this album. You suddenly realise that the words and melodies just fit so well. It is easy to compare most songs favourably to any of its latter day rivals or counterparts(if you can find any). Many artists and groups would kill to have a curriculum vitae that encompasses a similar wide ranging group of works and I am not even talking about the collaborations with the giants of their day.

The shivers that you feel are like the ones you get from walking an old road from your childhood.

5.0 out of 5 stars AWESOME - SUBLIME - MAJESTIC!, 8 Mar. 2009
classic 1965 (New York, NY USA) - See all my reviews
This is a superb and comprehensive compilation.

Whether you're about to listen to Peter, Paul & Mary for the first time or looking for a collection that includes all your old favourites, this is the one for you.

4.0 out of 5 stars Folk Revival, 26 Oct. 2009
A. Perry (London, UK) - See all my reviews
My purchase was prompted by the death of Mary Travers, although I have liked "Leaving on a Jet Plane" since I first heard it. The other key tracks are "If I had a Hammer", "This Land is Your Land" and of course, "Puff the Magic Dragon". Unless you are a Folkie (I am not), the others stand or fall on their own merits, although they do some good quality cover versions of Dylan numbers. Over all, it gives a good feel for their music, and the social and political attitudes that influenced them.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bringing it all back, 30 April 2014
P. A. Copley (Northumberland UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Very Best Of Peter, Paul And Mary (MP3 Download)
They were my favourites. I bought several albums and singles in the early 60's, still stored in the loft. So now, I'm recollecting them digitally, downloading them onto iPod and tablet and listening through a Bose docking station. Bliss.

5.0 out of 5 stars Timeless sounds, 10 Feb. 2014
This review is from: The Very Best Of Peter, Paul And Mary (MP3 Download)
These voices never fade and they carry many of the lyrics in ways the original singer can't do. A good introduction to the sounds of an era.

5.0 out of 5 stars very good, 6 Feb. 2014
This review is from: The Very Best Of Peter, Paul And Mary (MP3 Download)
very good old music relaxing type of song when you sit back and unwind reminds me of my younger days well recomended

5.0 out of 5 stars THIS IS THE ONE TO GET, 13 April 2014
Mr. Aa James - See all my reviews
I bought an earlier cd called best of 10 years together which was disappointing
this is a much more superior set sound is excellent and it covers a greater range of songs
good sleeve notes also This is the one to have if you want one recording by them

The Very Best Of Peter, Paul And Mary