5.0 out of 5 stars A pleasant and endearing album

3.0 out of 5 stars Come on Herbie, play some jazz
Published on 7 Nov 2007 by molondas

5.0 out of 5 stars A pleasant and endearing album, 17 Nov 2005
This review is from: Possibilities (Audio CD)
I've always been an admirer of Herbie Hancock and when I saw the preview of this album I was keen to see what was on it. What a wonderful coming together of minds, talents and performances! From Paul Simon to Joss Stone; from Sting to Santana. Every track is unique and incomparable. the Annie Lennox duet 'Hush Hush Hush' is phenomenal. Even Damien Rice comes out of his shell to do justice to the evergreen Don't Explain'. A great wind-down or dinner album and one to impress your guests with. Buy it with ease of mind.

3.0 out of 5 stars Come on Herbie, play some jazz, 7 Nov 2007
This review is from: Possibilities (Audio CD)
I can't decide what I think of this album. Hancock is a hero of mine, maybe the best jazz pianist ever (certainly the most versatile) and an astoundingly imaginative and innovative musician. So at times on this CD it feels like he is slumming it a bit - I mean Sting has his place but covering one of his own songs on a Hancock album is probably not it. Joss Stone likewise.

I guess it's fair to stay that if you're a fan of Sting, Paul Simon, Annie Lennox, Damien Rice etc you'll probably like the sophisticated pop-jazz on here. I find these artists unremarkable, and maybe I'm a snob, but I certainly wouldn't want to hear more than a song each of them in collaboration with HH.

The duet with Cristina Aguilera on the other hand was a big surprise - I had no idea she was such a good singer. This is the outstanding track on the album - there is real energy between Aguilera and Hancock, and I would like to hear them do a whole album together. I ask myself why she wastes her exceptional voice on the trashy pop she turns out.

The track with John Mayer is also very good.

So - an intersting curiosity, with some high spots, but not to be compared with Hancock's otheradventures (disco, funk, Gershwin).

4.0 out of 5 stars Jazz and Pop meet, 3 April 2012
This review is from: Possibilities (Audio CD)
Was recommended this by a lecturer at University.

The album is a bunch of collaborations with some famous (and some not so famous) names of other genres. The result is quite a mix featuring some soft jazzy tracks, some funky, bluesy tracks and more. A couple of my tracks of choice are "Stitched up" with John Mayer, very bluesy with subtle hints of Jazz, and "When love comes to town" with Joss Stone and Johnny Lang. Some of the tracks were a little hard to listen to, but I'm not particularly a Jazz aficionado, so it was to be expected really.

I found enjoyment in the album and still go back to a couple of the tracks every now and then to give them a listen. Worth a check if you want a bit of an introduction to Jazz or you want to broaden your horizons a bit.

3.0 out of 5 stars Possibilities - a review, 24 Sep 2005
J. D. Naylor "jazzfan" (England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Possibilities (Audio CD)
Let's start by saying that Herbie Hancock is quite simply one of the greatest jazz piano players of all time and i have admired his playing for many years.But, with this album i feel he has sold himself short really because there isn't much here for the jazz pureist.A nice set of tunes it certainly is with many special guests (mainly from the pop world),but he really can do this sort of stuff in his sleep .
All in all this will certainly generate some interest from the buyers of jazz/pop crossover artists but on behalf of all the real jazz fans - come on Herbie and give as an album to really get our teeth into.
This album is "nice" but nice is not a term you normally use to describe jazz.

Possibilities (U.S. Version)