5.0 out of 5 stars B-Movie Madness
How can you not like Bruce Campbell! A man with hundreds of terrible b-movies under his belt.....and proud of it!
And that is basically what this is, a celebration of persona. Pure tacky trash is what this film is! And boy is it good!

Published on 20 Jan 2009 by M. R. Jones

3.0 out of 5 stars Bruce sets himself up for laughs
Bruce Campbell is a fun actor, he manages to bring surreal life to his characters and turn the tide of B-movies. In this movie, he also shows that he's more than capable of parodying himself. The plot itself is thin, but that's not what this film is for. The special effects are in the same style as the Evil Dead films, and they start right from the opening scene...
Published on 30 Jan 2009 by Simon Fraser

5.0 out of 5 stars B-Movie Madness, 20 Jan 2009
M. R. Jones (Plymouth, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: My Name Is Bruce [2007] [DVD] (DVD)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)

The movie tells the story of a group of teenagers (it's always a group of teenagers) who are getting up to no good in a graveyard. One takes an amulet (again....always an amulet), and then hell unfolds. Well the ancient god of the dead....and bean curd....unfolds.
The plucky teen, who is a huge fan of Bruce, finds him and kidnaps him to help his town stop the ancient evil from destroying them all.

It's cheesy! It's cringe worthy! It's.....Bruce Campbell. He really shines in this movie, gladly mocking his life in cinema and attitude to fans.
The budget, although relatively low, is put to very good use with nice sets and inspired special effects.

I will say that if you are not a fan of Bruce Campbell, have never heard of him and have never seen any of his movies then this is not for you. There are too many nods to his career that a newbie might not pick up on. And that's important, because those are some of the funnier bits.
Good picture quality, with 2.0 & 5.1 sound and a commentary track with a few titters in it.

Hail to the King Baby!!!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Gimme some sugar baby!, 13 Feb 2009
godzilla78 (northern ireland) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: My Name Is Bruce [2007] [DVD] (DVD)
Excellent movie. Bruce Campbell has always been one to poke fun at himself and this is no exception. He still has the magic and the knack of delivering some killer lines such as "Kid, i've made a movie in Bulgaria so i'm ready for anything". The story is pretty straightforward as an ancient Chinese demon is released and goes on a killing spree. One of the locals is a huge Bruce Campbell fan thus they kidnap Campbell to aid them in their fight against the demon. Problem is, Bruce thinks this is all a movie/joke. The movie probably features the best use of a life size cardboard cut out ever! This movie provides plenty of laughs and it's good to see the man back to his best!

3.0 out of 5 stars Bruce sets himself up for laughs, 30 Jan 2009
Simon Fraser (England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: My Name Is Bruce [2007] [DVD] (DVD)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)

The background characters are mostly stereotyped for the comedy, but there's the odd curve-ball thrown in there. The dialog exists simply to support the jokes and classic Bruce Campbell lines. So, really, if you find yourself laughing at B-movies, or B-movie parodies like Lost Skeleton of Cadavra, you'll probably laugh at this. It's not meant to be original or a classic, but just a fun movie with no strings attached.

5.0 out of 5 stars Campbell doing what he knwos best!, 5 Dec 2010
B. Cousins "The Eternal Noob" (Essex, England) - See all my reviews
My Name Is Bruce:

This is a comedy where Bruce Campbell basically takes the mickey out of himself, he is a cheesy B-movie actor who has made some dubious films and is in a slump with work and going through a divorce. He is called on to help save a town by one of his biggest fans, the film consists of quite a few cheesy one liners by Bruce, but it works. There are quite a few recognisable faces from other films, e.g. the blacksmith from Army of Darkness, the Hillbilly from Evil Dead 2 (I can't recall their names at the moment), and Ted Raimi.
As before, I won't give away the plot, but this is a good comedy that is worth seeing.

With the extras I was impressed with what you get, there is a gag reel, the feature length making of - in which Bruce tells about getting funding for the film and that the sets for the film were actually built on his own property! There is a documentary - Heart of Dorkness which is quite amusing, there are lots of Featurette including: "Kif's Korner", Love Birds, The Making of Cave Alien 2, Hard Truth News from Hollywood - The Real Bruce Campbell. There is a trailer for Cave Alien 2, Poster Art, Photo Gallery, Props Art Gallery.

Good value for money, well worth adding to your collection!

4.0 out of 5 stars Bruce Campbell - The B-Movie King!, 22 Sep 2010
If you are a fan of Bruce Campbell, you are likely to really enjoy this film. If you not familiar with his work, you would probably find this movie complete rubbish.

The whole movie is basically a spoof of Bruce's film career, with x amount of references to his previous films. Some scenes are shot so badly it is delibrately forcing the fact upon you that this is a stereotypical b-movie. In this you will particularly enjoy the Cavealien extras on the disc.

All in all, a fun film not to be taken at all seriously, the fact that you are paying next to nothing for it should suggest that this is certainly no Hollywood blockbuster. Enjoy!

4.0 out of 5 stars but the theme does get a bit nippy, 2 Jun 2013
tallmanbaby (Scotland) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: My Name Is Bruce [2007] [DVD] (DVD)
Presumably made for less than a fraction of the cost of a single episode of Midsomer Murders this is a passable horror pastiche. Bruce Campbell directs and stars as a washed up B movie star. His greatest fan kidnaps him to deal with a Chinese demon.

The film is far from perfect, the day for night shooting is murky, the pacing is patchy and the film is over long. On the other hand it is packed with in jokes, Campbell is an amiable butt of the jokes, there are plenty of amusing beheadings and a multitude of amusing lines. My marking was hovering around the three mark, but the pace picked up for the last half hour, nudging it up to a four. If you do not like Bruce Campbell, are offended by juvenile crude language or heads rolling around, then best to just avoid.

There are a lot of extras, some more amusing than others, for a few quid this is an entertaining watch, though the theme song does get a bit nippy after a while.

2.0 out of 5 stars My Name Is Bruce, 26 April 2013
This review is from: My Name Is Bruce [2007] [DVD] (DVD)
I'm a fan of Bruce Campbell. I own the Evil Dead series, Moontrap and Bubba Ho Tep and have seen him in many other films, including the X-Files episode he did. I was always interested in everything he did, until I saw 'My Name Is Bruce'.

Personally I think it's a really bad film. I know it's a film strictly for fans of his, but I just didn't find it funny or entertaining. It might be alright after a few beers, but if in-jokes, crap music, script and plot and an icon are for you watch it sober.

Usually that's my type of film, I just think it was really badly done.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great when you can laugh at yourself, 13 Jun 2012
popfan (Nottinghamshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: My Name Is Bruce [2007] [DVD] (DVD)
When an actor can send himself up its always refreshing
bruce campbell, star of the evil dead and b-movie legend does just that in this witty and amusing horror comedy.
when a teenager unleashes a chinese evil, he calls on bruce to help- with calamitous consequences.
this dvd is great value and a great watch, for all- not just the fans of bruce

4.0 out of 5 stars Great movie, poor blu ray transfer, 17 Jan 2012
I actually already own this on DVD, but have been picking up blu ray replacements for my collection bit by bit in the last year or two if I can find them relatively low priced.
This one I picked up used for 4, so it was certainly cheap, but the same seems to have been spent on the blu ray transfer.
I know this isnt a big budget movie, but I dont expect to see certain parts of the picture to look, for want of a better word, pixelated.
The actual main focus of the picture (the actors etc) actually looks really good for the most part, but when it comes to things like smoke, backgrounds and darker colours it becomes a joke.
In some ways its almost like watching an illegally downloaded version.

The only reason I gave this so many stars is because I like the film so much. What I would say though is that if you are expecting a true high def product, this is not it.
I'd have to dig the DVD out to see how the picture actually compares, but even if it is better, its still a poor show for a blu ray to look this bad.

4.0 out of 5 stars "You don't know fear, kid. You've never worked with Sam Raimi.", 4 Jun 2011
How big a fan of Bruce Campbell are you? I'm sure that will dictate how much you enjoy this. I happen to be a big fan and I really enjoyed this film. As much as I like it now, I didn't think much of it first time around. I'm not sure if it's because I just wasn't sure what to expect on first viewing, but it really has grown on me and I've found it more enjoyable with each viewing.

Bruce Campbell shows that he's certainly not afraid to make fun of himself, neither is Ted Raimi in three roles. Also on show are several actors that appeared in the Evil Dead series, Ellen Sandweiss from Evil Dead, Dan Hicks from Evil Dead 2 and Timothy Patrick Quill from Army Of Darkness. I won't go into the plot, as you can just read the synopsis, but I will talk about the quality of the Blu-ray. Listening to the commentary from Campbell I believe the film was shot digitally, and the picture looks very sharp and vibrant. Considering the Blu-ray is very cheap, it's definitely worth getting instead of the DVD. Audio is DTS-HD master audio 5.1 and sounds very good. There were enough extras to keep me happy, especially the commentary from Campbell and the producer, Mike Richardson. I thought this was definitely an improvement on Man With The Screaming Brain, so I can't wait for Campbell's next directed project.

My Name Is Bruce [2007] [DVD]
My Name Is Bruce [2007] [DVD] by Bruce Campbell (DVD - 2009)
8.54