on 11 October 2000
This is a repackaged version of an album originally released in 1992. Most people might remember Ed as the violin player for New Model Army, although the music here is rather different.
The most amazing thing is that this album was recorded totally live, without overdubs and feratures just ONE electric violin. Ed Alleyne-Johnson provides his own backing through an electronic system using digital effects ... unless you have actually seen him do it live, you cannot quite comprehend how he does it.
The album is a showcase of what an electric violin is capable, from calm pseudo-classical music such as the 'Oxford Suite' to the 'Improvisation' piece, which features a distorted (!) violin sound. It is quite impossible to describe the whole experience, and only listening will suffice.
Interested or intrigued? Then this CD is must-have.
on 19 June 2004
I first heard Ed on Jools Holland many years ago, and was blown away. Since then I acquired this album after a lot of hunting (think I special ordered it actually) and have seen him busking in Liverpool. The music he plays live is awe inspiring.

And its not electronic percussion, he is plucking the strings...
on 16 May 2000
I used to watch Ed when he busked around Oxford in the late 80's. Every Saturday, whilst working in for a well known Shoe retailers on the corner of Queen Street and New Inn Hall Street (those of you who know Oxford will know exactly where I mean! :0) ), I'd hang out of the first floor window to listen to Ed's eclectic mix of music. It is hard to comprehend that everything you hear on this album was recorded in one take by Ed using only effect peddles and his gorgeous Purple Electric Violin! The man is a genius and this album just sums him and Oxford up beautifully. Perfect music to get lost in......
on 26 April 2005
Seriously, it's a classic. I don't know anyone who doesn't like it, and my friends have wide ranging musical tastes. It's uplifting, sad, beautiful, different and very very clever. I only have the tape version from years ago with Oxford Suite and Inner City Music on, so I don't know the other tracks, but I'm sure they're just as wonderful.
Enjoy!
on 14 December 2008
There is a review here from 16/5/2000 which recalls this artists busking days in Oxford city centre (usually close to the city centre library if I remember correctly)during the late 1980's. Clearly his performances left a long lasting impression as for the past 12 - 15 months I have been trying to remember his name. About 15 mins ago it came to me ! Eds style wont appeal to all but if you have an open mind to creative music (as wide ranging as Tangerine Dream to String Driven Thing & beyond in either direction !) then I would recommend you try either this album or Ultraviolet as a starting point.
on 14 March 2007
At university, I DJ'd a late show that featured many jazz, soul, and blues. It was a great experience and I have very fond memories of the experience; bolstered by some great musical pieces such as Oxford Suite which is a very haunting track. This guy is a genius. If Enya is the voice, Clapton the guitar, Miles the Saxophone..then Ed Alleyene Johnson is the Electric Violin.

Whenever my friend Mustapha and I used to play this on the station, we would replay it again. It's mystical, haunting and above all memorable
on 20 January 2012
Once again, another brilliant recording from a prolific master of modern and classical electric violin playing, this has hidden depths and improves every time I hear it. Having been introduced to Ed Alleyne-Johnson's skill the first time I saw him busking in the city of York and listening afterwards to my wife's gift of his album "Echoes" I am convinced that he is one of the most memorable musicians ever to adorn the streets of York (as well as New York). I have not heard of him playing anywhere in concert but, if he ever comes back up North, I would certainly queue to get tickets to hear him.
If you like what you hear, have a listen also to David Garrett for that full orchestra feel on record or in concert.
If, however, you are impressed by a musician who is capable of creating the affect of a full orchestra, managed single-handedly on Electric Violin with the aid of his self-made acoustic device, then you cannot miss the sound of Ed Alleyne-Johnson.

Kelvart
on 8 May 2013
Not an inspiring title for a review. But it does sum the album up. I bought this after seeing Ed busking in York. He has a real talent and grabs his audience and keeps them standing around in chilly streets as he plays.

SO When I found a re-release of one of his early works with a modern reworking on a second disk it was too tempting.

And that's when it gets interesting. Either album is good on it's own. Put them together and you can suddenly find yourself spending hours comparing the old and new versions.

Listening to the album is not quite the same as having Ed there in front of you. But it is a good substitute.
on 2 November 2013
Saw Ed performing in York a couple of days ago, just thought he was another one of the many brilliant street artists that frequent the streets of York. What I didnt realise is just what a Superb artist he is, my partner has seen him several times, she recommended we buy a couple of his cd's, so I bought 'Arppegio', my partner bought a double album. Also, I did'nt realise Ed had such a presense on the web, inclu Amazon. Ed's so inspired me, I'm already looking to buy an Electric Violin myself, I know its not simple, as it happens Amazon have a good range!

Anyway, back to Ed, his style is eclectic, ranging from classical to rock. The effects he applies to the violin are brilliantly done via effects pedals that guitarists use, the electric violin lends itself superbly to effects such as, flanging, phasing and, I suspect, one of Ed's favourite effects, rock guitar; his application of these effects is inspiring, producing at times very dark and sinister tones to his playing. I've already checked out Ed's back catalogue, which is extensive by the way, and can certainly recommend this artist, glad I saw you in York Ed. Thanks for the inspiration too!
on 24 April 2000
If you're writing a book or reading one, alone or with a group of friends, put this CD on and you'll stop whatever you're doing to listen. It's an aquired taste but well worth it for the emotional twists.