on 13 February 2013
I am writing this to balance the books regarding the previous two reviews which are not really relevant to the music on this CD. Firstly "A Song For Me" is one of my favourite Family albums which when I first bought it on vinyl indicated that as a band they were moving into a more straight ahead rock direction than on the previous two albums. Terrific opener "Drowned In Wine" is followed by a mixture of full on rock and even country rock like "Cat and the Rat". But what makes this a five star for me are the bonus live tracks which I first heard on John Peels Top Gear with the great Jim King on sax. I thought I would never hear these terrific tracks again.
"Anyway" is a less successful album being half live and half studio. The live side is a bit of a mixed bag and not particularly well recorded. The studio side is better beginning with the impressive "Part of the Load". I remember when I purchased this album on vinyl I felt a little disappointed on first hearing. This however is what makes Family such an interesting band because they were not afraid to try something different and when they got it right they were in a class of their own so you can overlook the odd misstep.
Chappo is still going strong playing a terrific set including some Family favourites at the Y Theatre Leicester, December 2013. Good on yer Rog
on 23 June 2010
Hi I do not write reviews but this comment is worthy of Family. Anyway on vinyl is brilliant I have not heard a song for me as yet. I have most of the other lPs on cd or lPs bought at the time of family. It sounds as good now as then. Cheers one and all.