5.0 out of 5 stars Down to Earth - out on DVD at last !
Published on 4 Sep 2009 by Stevie

3.0 out of 5 stars Later is better
I remember this series with affection but have to say it got a whole lots better in the later series.
Published 8 months ago by didds

5.0 out of 5 stars Down to Earth - out on DVD at last !, 4 Sep 2009
This review is from: Down To Earth - Series 1 [DVD] [2000] (DVD)
Finally, after a long wait, around 13 years, Down to Earth has reached the DVD market. One of the BBC's quality "family" films tells the story of Faith (Pauline Quirke) and Brian Addis's (Warren Clarke) move to the country, from London and the escape of the "city life". Filmed in Devon, it portrays their struggle to become "self-sufficient", and how "country living" is not always as easy as it seems! Originally only available on VHS, this is a much welcome addition to my DVD collection, hopefully we will see series 2 released in the near future!Down To Earth [DVD] [2000]

5.0 out of 5 stars Forgot how amazing this series is..., 17 Dec 2010
This review is from: Down To Earth - Series 1 [DVD] [2000] (DVD)
Wow, as a Brit Expat living in the US, I bought this for my mother (Who is slightly more nostalic than I!) - just before this series came out on BBC back around the year 2000, as a family (my mother worked in a London school and we had a Golden Retriever... hint..watch the show..they are in there too!) we had a few years before relocated from the Capital to picturesque Devon - not far from where this was filmed in fact - our journey mimicked some aspects of this series (particularly the struggles of such a drastic change)I remember watching the series on BBC One with such attention as we were "living it" at the same time. Years pass of course and you forget about certain things, something popped into my mind and I remembered it, found it on Amazon.co.uk so I had to get it for her as a Christmas gift - on receiving the DVD I popped it in the player to make sure the DVD worked and lost 2 hours of a day as I got so engrossed in the series! I almost feel like buying a copy for myself.

This is definitely worth a buy for those who love the country life, or live in the city and dream of it - it will show you what it's like! Also, any Pauline Quirke fans will love it too!

BUY IT! You will not be disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars JUST BRILLIANT, 27 Sep 2010
This review is from: Down To Earth - Series 1 [DVD] [2000] (DVD)
This series is just brilliant! If I could give it a hundred stars I would!
I was hooked on it when it first came out, recorded all the series with Pauline Quirke and co. and play them constantly.
The scenery is fantastic, set in stunning rolling Devon hills, (silly thing is I live in those stunning rolling Devon hills!) the beautiful farmhouses, the believable story lines. excellent screenplay taken from the tales in the Faith Addis books, the use of all the RIGHT animals and above all the superb acting from Warren,(brilliant with 'those ruddy Jacobs sheep' Pauline,(cannot see her as anyone else but Faith Addis!) Toby, Ellie and Alexandria (and every one else!)
The music is equally superb and I have bought the soundtrack by Sheridan Tounge and am always plugged into it whilst walking the fields with the dog! makes me feel as if I am part of the film set!
I have only one complaint, why oh why isn't series 2 and 3 available on dvd my poor old recordings are way past there sell by date even though I rerecorded the old vhs tapes onto dvd!
PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE BBC can you release them soon, I'm getting desperate! surly if you can release one series you can release the others?

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic viewing, 24 Sep 2012
This review is from: Down To Earth - Series 1 [DVD] [2000] (DVD)
A fantastic series to be thorougly enjoyed by all the family. I have enjoyed watching every minute of the first series. I am desperate to watch series 2, which isn't available on dvd. I have contacted Acorn Media who have confirmed there are no plans at the moment to release subsquent series :-( Perhaps if more people contact them they may consider it. So if like me, you are eagerly awaiting the next series contact Acorn Media.

5.0 out of 5 stars Willow's World, 1 Feb 2011
This review is from: Down To Earth - Series 1 [DVD] [2000] (DVD)
Brilliant! Enjoyed this just as much as the first time I watched it on TV. Reminded me of many happy hours spent on a farm in Wiltshire as a child. Please, please, please release the rest of the series on DVD.

5.0 out of 5 stars Smiles all round!, 23 Jun 2013
This review is from: Down To Earth - Series 1 [DVD] [2000] (DVD)
I bought this because I broke one of the dvds on my original copy. A great series, I wish the rest of them would be released!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant Series, 29 Sep 2012
This review is from: Down To Earth - Series 1 [DVD] [2000] (DVD)
Me and my family loved watching this DVD, we hadn't seen it since it was broadcast on television over a decade ago. We are gutted now that we can't find series 2 on DVD!

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant Series, Utterly Charming, I Love It!, 13 Nov 2011
This review is from: Down To Earth - Series 1 [DVD] [2000] (DVD)
Down to Earth is an absolutely brilliant series. I remember watching it when it was first on the BBC and it brings back so many good memories from the Summer in 2000. Pauline Quirke and Warren Clarke are charming as Faith and Brian Addis, as are the actors who play their children. I'm so glad this has been released on DVD, I only wish they would release series 2 & 3 aswell. I'm over the moon i've been able to watch this again, it's inspirational.

5.0 out of 5 stars Happy then sad, 29 Dec 2013
This review is from: Down To Earth - Series 1 [DVD] [2000] (DVD)
Having enjoyed watching Series 1 of Down to Earth and looking forward to buying a holiday home in Devon inspired by this series. I rushed to purchase Series 2 and 3 only to find to my sadness they are not released yet.
Please Dear BBC for the New year could these series become available.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Family Viewing!, 11 Jan 2011
This review is from: Down To Earth - Series 1 [DVD] [2000] (DVD)
I'd not seen this program in such a long time so it has been good watching it again. It still has the feel good factor about it! Nice storyline and good characters, great casting! It would be so great to see all further series of this show released on DVD, especially series 2 & 3. Hurry up Acorn Media what are you waiting for!?!

Down To Earth - Series 1 [DVD] [2000]
Down To Earth - Series 1 [DVD] [2000] by Pauline Quirke (DVD - 2009)