4.3 out of 5 stars1,779

Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
We are much more impressed with the hotcup than we expected to be. I couldn't really see a need for it before it came but now I barely use my kettle at all as it's so much quicker and easier to use the hotcup.
It's very nice to look at and smaller than the average kettle. You fill it just like a kettle by lifting it off the base and popping up the lid. It hold 5 X 250ml "shots" of water.
It stays turned off until you need it, then you put a cup under the spout and press the button on top and it starts to boil a shot of water. It's fairly loud right at the end when it's dispensing the water and a bit sputtering but you have a cupful of boiling water in 50 seconds. I use the time that it's boiling to be ready and waiting with my milk and spoon and it really is a quick cup of tea.
When reading other reviews I saw mention of a plasticky taste but I haven't noticed any difference in taste to tea made in my kettle.
I think we get on with it well particularly as we have fairly large mugs so the shot of water either fits v well or underfills. I've had no case of it overflowing although I can see that this would be a problem for some people and the lack of control is a downside. I also wish it would have levels on the side illustrating how many cups of water are left in the tank.
It won't replace our kettle completely as I still use larger amounts of boiling water for cooking but it has been used for every cup of tea since we've had it.
All in all,we are really impressed with the hotcup and it has speedily become a well-used appliance in our kitchen. Only problem is how much tea I am getting through since it has arrived.
55 comments|382 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This product is excellent. It won't replace a kettle because when friends are around you'll need the ability to make multiple hot drinks simultaneously, which this won't do, but for energy conscious individuals who only wish to heat enough water to make one drink at a time... this is excellent.

The product is simple and the process is simple; fill the reservoir with water (which has enough capacity for 5 mugs), flick the switch, and 35 seconds later... it produces one steaming hot mug of water...

...or bowl / jug / whatever you place under the spout... but... I wouldn't recommend placing a cup or anything else small; the unit produces 250ml of scalding hot water (which is appropriate for a standard sized mug) each time, no more, and no less. Consequently, if you use a cup, the chances are you'll have to deal with the overspill but fortunately Breville included a 'beer pump style' drip tray that should cover this.

For me it's brilliant: I put the coffee in the mug, place it under the spout, flick the switch and carry on about my business, when I come back not only is the water hot, my mug's also poured (and in this respect it reminds me of the old 'Teasmaid' units there used to be, the only difference being this one starts manually, not via a timer).

I already use a thermal kettle which keeps my unused boiled water hot, and do so for the sake of reducing my energy consumption, but I like this product because I only boil the amount of water I need to at the time I need to use it.

I have only two quibbles: the opening to pour water in could be a little wider to allow easier topping up; it's narrow and oddly angled. Plus, adding the ability to vary the amount of water that gets boiled, even within a set range, to allow for different users' needs according to their cup/mug sizes, would be very useful but neither of these quibbles are enough to diminish the rating this unit's worth.

It's likely to be a bit of a luxury to find space on the kitchen worktop for both this unit and a kettle also, but if you do have the space, and you make solo mugs of hot drinks more than you make multiples, this is an excellent product well worth considering.
11 comment|222 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 30 September 2009
I am 87 years of age and the Breville Hot cup must be among the best buys ever,completely removes the risk of scalding oneself which is all too easy with normal kettles,great. Harold(GG)
0Comment|83 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 8 December 2010
This was well worth the wait from amazon (SUPER SLOW DELIVERY)I have had this for about 6 months now and i have to say this is a great kettle would recemend it.
on 26 June 2011
I bought this to replace my Tefal Quick cup because I couldn't get a good price on a new Tefal.

It came quick and had some really good benefits over the Tefal one of which is a built in platform for the cup with a drip tray - as the Tefal got older it used to judder and move away from the cup thus filling the worktop with hot water.

On the tefal you unclipped a water canister to fill up at the tap - the Breville unit comes off the stand much like a cordless kettle.

The Tefal gave hot water - the Breville is boiling! Better tea and easier mixing gravy. A real advantage for the Breville.

But here's the problem and the thing is it is such a big problem that it far outweighs any benefits. The designers at Breville have no concept of a cup of tea. Or come to think of it a cup of anything! I have cups. I also have mugs. If I make a cup of tea in a cup it overflows. In a mug there is no room for milk and you will spill it taking it to the sink to pour some of the water away. I have a joke mug that the kids bought me for Father's day - a huuuuge mug for a big mug. I can make tea in that.

Upon further technical investigation (I put a measuring jug under it and dispensed a 'cup' of boiling water) I found it gave me 300ml - this can hardly be called a cup. Even if you look at cooking websites a US cup is about 237ml and I have seen it rounded to 250ml.

Breville do a model with variable cup size (they must have found out the error of the original design) so if you do really want to save a bit of time and either don't drink from a bucket or don't want to have to pour a quarter of that water you just paid to heat up away every time then buy the updated model. If you just want to make tea or coffee that is ready to drink (ie not boiling) then buy the Tefal as you can pre set the quantity of water dispensed.
1919 comments|340 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 5 January 2012
I am very happy with this purchase. Great dispatch time as usual from Amazon. This product is very simple to set up and use in seconds. Makes a perfectly hot cup of water in about 30-40 seconds and it looks nice too. I was so happy with it that I bought one for my mum aswell!
on 28 May 2014
I brought this for my mother who has arthritis & had difficulty lifting the kettle but this is ideal by using a small plastic jug she can make pots of tea, individual drinks all without lifting & can fill it up again by using a plastic jug.
on 29 October 2009
Bought this as a present for my Mum who is aged 89 and she loves it. I am happier that she can fill it with cold water and put her cup under for a nice hot drink without worrying about her having to lift a heavy kettle and risk having boiling water over herself. It is also very quick and saves on electricity by only boiling a cup of water at a time. Very fast delivery service.
on 7 February 2009
Having bought the tefal quick cup a few months earlier and finding it is not hot enough for a cup of tea of for someone who likes very hot drinks, i bought the Breville Hot Cup.

It is really good - although takes longer than the tefal to heat up - but it is boiling water, and ideal for the cups of tea etc that need boiling water.

The only critism is that there is no flow regulator, you cant press the button to stop flow, it has a set amount. this was resulting in overflowing mugs (after milk had been added) - so the ingenious way around it, is that we now have a small jug placed under the nozzle at all times, and the water dispenses into that and we pour what we need into the cup.

Very quick, very easy and very useful.
we now have both units side by side, so for different drinks, people etc have the choice!!!
11 comment|157 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 13 January 2013
Once you get over the novelty of this product (3-4 days) you begin to notice that your cuppa doesn't quite taste like it used to. Why? Well stick a thermometer in your cup and you'll soon realise. I filled the tank and dispensed it all. Each cup measured between 85* and 88*. No-where near boiling. You just can't make decent tea at this temperature.
I see some people are saying their drinks are tainted with plastic from this 'kettle' but this isn't true. The taste is solely down to the water not being boiled. Try making your tea with water from the hot tap and it will have the same odd taste.

I've gone back to using my old kettle.
55 comments|23 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse