5.0 out of 5 stars Utterly loveable

Published 3 months ago by Albatross

5.0 out of 5 stars Utterly loveable, 12 Jan 2009
Littledasypus (Somewhere in England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Pineapple Express (Double-Disc) [DVD] [2008] (DVD)
I really, really love this movie. I don't know why, I'm not a stoner and I'm not the worlds biggest fan of dumb comedy movies, although I do quite enjoy them. I loved the characters, I loved the way it was written and filmed. I thought it was hilarious and a real quality movie, not the same old bull. My friends all seem to think it is fantastic too, we'll be buying about three copies between us at least. I think it is my favourite movie of 08, which is wierd, but there we are.

3.0 out of 5 stars Sometimes you just don’t get it, 1 April 2014
I’m writing this review after my second viewing if ‘Pineapple Express.’ I watched it a couple of years ago and seemed to completely forget what it was all about. The reason I’ve watched it again is because I’m a big fan of Seth Rogen (and Judd Apatow’s style of film-making in general), plus I’m not bothered by the fact that a film can be about losers/stoners. Therefore, I really thought I must have missed something on my first viewing.

Sadly, as far as I’m concerned, I wasn’t wrong. This film really isn’t very good. And, when I say ‘good,’ I basically mean funny. I laughed about once (out loud) throughout the whole hour and forty minutes (which us unusual when I watch a Rogen/Apatow collaboration). No matter how much I tried, I just couldn’t ‘get’ it. It’s about two pot-smoking stoners who end up getting chased by killers/drug dealers. However, the ‘chase’ largely involves Seth Rogen and James Franco screaming a lot and then running round in circles (occasionally slapping each other/someone else).

Again, my verdict is simply that it’s not funny. The two central characters are annoying and not that relatable to, therefore I don’t really care that much if the mob catches up with them and kills them, or they just get away.

So, that’s my verdict – Pineapple Express is an average ‘comedy’ at best. However, it’s worth noting that the majority of people must have seen something in it that I’ve missed, as it’s (currently) rated a pretty impressive 7.0 out of 10 on the Internet Movie Database. Guess I’m in the minority here on this one then.

5.0 out of 5 stars Chemistry of two lead roles, 3 Oct 2010
G. Longstaffe (england) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Pineapple Express (Double-Disc) [DVD] [2008] (DVD)
What makes this film brilliant is the chemistry between Seth Rogen and James Franco. It's one of the best I've seen in any film. It is so good it over rides the slim plot line and silly ending, just brilliant!! this type of chemistry cannot be created or copied it just happens every now and then in a few films. For example dude where's my car was a rubbish film because that X factor was missing between the two lead roles. I've lost count on how many times I've seen this film. Excellent 5/5

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant movie! Even better with the bonus features, 30 Jan 2010
This review is from: Pineapple Express (Double-Disc) [DVD] [2008] (DVD)
Like I said an excellent film, well worth buying the double disk edition for all the bonus features.Arrived quickly and all at a reasonable price. A+

5.0 out of 5 stars One of my favourite films! :), 11 Oct 2009
A. Taylor (Cheshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Pineapple Express (Double-Disc) [DVD] [2008] (DVD)
Although this Is one of my favourite films for it's hilarity, it's not suitable for some due to the violent nature and drug references. Worth watching though on all account!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Comedy, 7 May 2009
This review is from: Pineapple Express (Double-Disc) [DVD] [2008] (DVD)
Unfortunately I missed this one at the cinema and only picked it up a few weeks ago. Wasn't sure what to expect before watching this film, weather it was going to be another distinctly average American comedy or an absolute gem, which I believe it is. The plot, simple, a man, his drug dealer and a murder... the script pure genius! The true comedy lies in the actors, Seth Rogan playing Dale and James Franco playing Saul. You can feel the chemistry between the pair, making the whole journey so much more enjoyable and exciting. For me this is James Franco's best performance, I literally could not stop laughing him. His portrayal of Saul the pot dealer, who just wants friendship, is outstanding. His mannerism and throwaway comments really make this film. The tension and frustration inflicted on Dale caused by Saul's pure stupidity makes for some very entertaining viewing. If you want to laugh watch this film!

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply Brilliant, 9 Jan 2009
This review is from: Pineapple Express (Double-Disc) [DVD] [2008] (DVD)
The outline of the film is about slacker Dale Denton (Seth Rogan) being in the wrong place at the wrong time, by witnessing a murder. Not know what to do, he goes to see Saul Silver (James Franco) who has been Dale's pothead new dealer for the last couple of months. The two of them go on the run getting themselves into funny and sometimes ridiculous situations along the way. Stopping every now and then to have a smoke. In the short time the two of them are on the run, they go from just being simply customer and dealer to become the best of friends. As the film goes on they try to get themselves out of trouble. But as the two of them don't have a clue what they are doing, they end up getting caught in the middle of a drug war between two gangs. All they can do is dodge the bullets and try to save each other lives.

Pineapple Express was one of the best films of last year. I've been waiting for the dvd ever since I saw this at the cinema. Seth Rogan and James Franco put in superb performances, Seth Rogan is his usual brilliantly hilarious self. James Franco, who I'd only ever seen in the Spiderman films as Harry, was amazingly funny and I hope he decides to do more comedy roles in the future. The two of them worked extremely well together.

But for me, I predominantly enjoyed all the one liners that seem to come from the supporting cast. I was laughing from start to finish. The fight and action scenes were exceptionally funny and had me crying with laughter. This is one of the must-see films of the year.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing..., 21 Jan 2009
Littledasypus (Somewhere in England) - See all my reviews
I love this film more than any other film I saw last year. It is great. I don't know why, cos I don't even smoke weed, but it is great and charming and loveable. Not much else I can say really. Also has some quality violence.

2.0 out of 5 stars As much fun as a kidney infection..., 15 Nov 2013
Pineapple Express; another 'stoner comedy' like we get too much of these days... boring, unfunny and not really worth the nigh-on 2 hours duration time. It gets a little bit more action towards the end of the film, but all in all it's still 95% forgettable. I'm glad it only cost me a mere 1 from a local charity shop!

5.0 out of 5 stars Truly amazing, 14 Dec 2008
i thought superbad was such a funny great film so i had no doubts about this film. meets my expectations and higher, great comedy which will make you laugh so much. must buy!

Pineapple Express (Double-Disc) [DVD] [2008]
Pineapple Express (Double-Disc) [DVD] [2008] by David Gordon Green (DVD - 2009)
12.99