5.0 out of 5 stars Simply Brilliant
Published on 9 Jan. 2009 by Mr. Andrew Cockings

3.0 out of 5 stars Sometimes you just don’t get it
Published 11 months ago by Albatross

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply Brilliant, 9 Jan. 2009
The outline of the film is about slacker Dale Denton (Seth Rogan) being in the wrong place at the wrong time, by witnessing a murder. Not know what to do, he goes to see Saul Silver (James Franco) who has been Dale's pothead new dealer for the last couple of months. The two of them go on the run getting themselves into funny and sometimes ridiculous situations along the way. Stopping every now and then to have a smoke. In the short time the two of them are on the run, they go from just being simply customer and dealer to become the best of friends. As the film goes on they try to get themselves out of trouble. But as the two of them don't have a clue what they are doing, they end up getting caught in the middle of a drug war between two gangs. All they can do is dodge the bullets and try to save each other lives.

Pineapple Express was one of the best films of last year. I've been waiting for the dvd ever since I saw this at the cinema. Seth Rogan and James Franco put in superb performances, Seth Rogan is his usual brilliantly hilarious self. James Franco, who I'd only ever seen in the Spiderman films as Harry, was amazingly funny and I hope he decides to do more comedy roles in the future. The two of them worked extremely well together.

But for me, I predominantly enjoyed all the one liners that seem to come from the supporting cast. I was laughing from start to finish. The fight and action scenes were exceptionally funny and had me crying with laughter. This is one of the must-see films of the year.

5.0 out of 5 stars Utterly loveable, 12 Jan. 2009
Littledasypus (Somewhere in England) - See all my reviews
I really, really love this movie. I don't know why, I'm not a stoner and I'm not the worlds biggest fan of dumb comedy movies, although I do quite enjoy them. I loved the characters, I loved the way it was written and filmed. I thought it was hilarious and a real quality movie, not the same old bull. My friends all seem to think it is fantastic too, we'll be buying about three copies between us at least. I think it is my favourite movie of 08, which is wierd, but there we are.

5.0 out of 5 stars Chemistry of two lead roles, 3 Oct. 2010
G. Longstaffe (england) - See all my reviews
What makes this film brilliant is the chemistry between Seth Rogen and James Franco. It's one of the best I've seen in any film. It is so good it over rides the slim plot line and silly ending, just brilliant!! this type of chemistry cannot be created or copied it just happens every now and then in a few films. For example dude where's my car was a rubbish film because that X factor was missing between the two lead roles. I've lost count on how many times I've seen this film. Excellent 5/5

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Comedy, 7 May 2009
Unfortunately I missed this one at the cinema and only picked it up a few weeks ago. Wasn't sure what to expect before watching this film, weather it was going to be another distinctly average American comedy or an absolute gem, which I believe it is. The plot, simple, a man, his drug dealer and a murder... the script pure genius! The true comedy lies in the actors, Seth Rogan playing Dale and James Franco playing Saul. You can feel the chemistry between the pair, making the whole journey so much more enjoyable and exciting. For me this is James Franco's best performance, I literally could not stop laughing him. His portrayal of Saul the pot dealer, who just wants friendship, is outstanding. His mannerism and throwaway comments really make this film. The tension and frustration inflicted on Dale caused by Saul's pure stupidity makes for some very entertaining viewing. If you want to laugh watch this film!

3.0 out of 5 stars Sometimes you just don’t get it, 1 April 2014
I’m writing this review after my second viewing if ‘Pineapple Express.’ I watched it a couple of years ago and seemed to completely forget what it was all about. The reason I’ve watched it again is because I’m a big fan of Seth Rogen (and Judd Apatow’s style of film-making in general), plus I’m not bothered by the fact that a film can be about losers/stoners. Therefore, I really thought I must have missed something on my first viewing.

Sadly, as far as I’m concerned, I wasn’t wrong. This film really isn’t very good. And, when I say ‘good,’ I basically mean funny. I laughed about once (out loud) throughout the whole hour and forty minutes (which us unusual when I watch a Rogen/Apatow collaboration). No matter how much I tried, I just couldn’t ‘get’ it. It’s about two pot-smoking stoners who end up getting chased by killers/drug dealers. However, the ‘chase’ largely involves Seth Rogen and James Franco screaming a lot and then running round in circles (occasionally slapping each other/someone else).

Again, my verdict is simply that it’s not funny. The two central characters are annoying and not that relatable to, therefore I don’t really care that much if the mob catches up with them and kills them, or they just get away.

So, that’s my verdict – Pineapple Express is an average ‘comedy’ at best. However, it’s worth noting that the majority of people must have seen something in it that I’ve missed, as it’s (currently) rated a pretty impressive 7.0 out of 10 on the Internet Movie Database. Guess I’m in the minority here on this one then.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing..., 21 Jan. 2009
Littledasypus (Somewhere in England) - See all my reviews
I love this film more than any other film I saw last year. It is great. I don't know why, cos I don't even smoke weed, but it is great and charming and loveable. Not much else I can say really. Also has some quality violence.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of my favourite films! :), 11 Oct. 2009
A. Taylor (Cheshire, UK) - See all my reviews
Although this Is one of my favourite films for it's hilarity, it's not suitable for some due to the violent nature and drug references. Worth watching though on all account!

4.0 out of 5 stars Pineapple Exress, 19 Nov. 2008
C. MacLellan (Glasgow, Scotland) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
The Plot
Part-time delivery man, part-time pot head Dale (Seth Rogan) is in trouble after witnessing a messy murder between two competing drug lords. He is traced by the killer (Gary Cole) - through the potent, pungent Pineapple Express marijuana - to his dealer Saul (James Franco), and the two go on the run, with the bad guys hot in pursuit.

The Review
The word `Broamnce', according to Urbandictionary.com is defined as `a non-sexual relationship between two men that are unusually close'. Although a relatively new word - from the same family as metrosexual and guyliner - it's been at the heart of buddy movies for many a year. From Jack Lemmon and Tony Curtis in Some Like It Hot, to Tom Cruise and Anthony Edwards in Top Gun, to Vince Vaughan and Owen Wilson in Wedding Crashers, all have relied on the chemistry between their two main leads to carry off the film.

In Pineapple Express, Seth Rogan and James Franco continue this time honoured tradition. At the start of the film, they're merely customer and supplier. But by the time the credits role, after they've endured a night in the forest, a high speed chase in a police-car, and a final show-down in a `pot factory', the two are in separable. The chemistry between Rogan and Franco is natural, unforced and makes the movie.

Rogan, as slacker Dale, is playing the same Fuzzy Bear type character become used to seeing him playing - the good hearted loafer, with a girlfriend way out his league. It's Franco who is the revelation, as after seeing him play it straight and scowly in Spiderman and....well almost everything else he's done, it's great to see him kicking back as pot-dealer Saul. He's not an aggressive drug-lord, but a contented middle man, who spends his days laying about in `sweats' (yes, a very American work) waiting for the money to roll in so he can look after his granny. The world which exists beyond his couch is strange and confusing, which makes trying to keep ahead of the bad guys all the funnier.

The plot, as you'd expect, is paper thin - guy witnesses murder and then as to keep ahead of the bad guys to keep his head. But it's the fact the two stoners don't have a clue what they're doing or where they're supposed to go that keeps the laughs coming. What do you do exactly once you've got in the car and started to drive?

In the final showdown, the film does lose its way slightly, morphing from buddy/stoner comedy into an action flick parody. Turning the two leads into gun toting action heroes isn't in keeping with the rest of the film, but as a parody, it's on a par with Hot Fuzz, with some gruesome and memorable deaths.

The Verdict
There are some good laughs, but it's the chemistry between Franco and Rogan that makes Pineapple Express better than your average comedy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Genuinely Funny..., 23 Feb. 2009
Unlike one of the Apatow's overly hyped previous outings, Superbad, this movie had me laughing all the way through. It was quite refreshing to see James Franco in something other than the brooding son of the Green Goblin in Spiderman. In fact, I didn't recognise him at first. The story, is fairly simple and in certain cases, a tad over the top, but is played by the actors with some real zeal and who may have actually been on the drugs that they were portraying...

I enjoyed the movie from start to finish and the finale was pure genius...and as mentioned the transfer to Blue-ray is first class. Well worth adding to your collection and putting it on when you've had a couple of beers...

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best films of 2008, 17 May 2009
Dezza (Bernera, Isle of Lewis) - See all my reviews
This was easily one of the best films of 2008, for two reasons. 1 - it's funny as hell. 2 - it's action is great. Comedy and action are two of my favourite genre's of film, and this combines the to wonderfully. Seth Rogen is outstanding in his comfort zone of being a pot-head, but this time instead of knocking some bird up, he shoots bad guys, awesome. The jokes are always presant and funny, the action dosn't begin until about 45 minutes in, and it's all out action. With massive over the top gun fights and one of the most realistic fights of all time the last 45 minutes is just as good as the first but for diffrent reasons. Overall this film is one of a kind and one of the best films of 2008. It is Awesome.

Buy if you like - Kiss Kiss Bang Bang or Super Troopers

The reason I recommend you to see Pineapple Express if you have seen these two films is because Kiss Kiss Bang Bang is an action film with plenty of comedy, and Super Troopers is a comedy with action (sort of). Infact i recommend you to see all three.

Pineapple Express [UMD Mini for PSP]
Pineapple Express [UMD Mini for PSP] by David Gordon Green (UMD Mini for PSP - 2009)