Format: DVD|Change

on 4 January 2009
The lovely and wonderful Hayley Mills made this movie magic! It captures the moment of the 70's and how the boys were, and how the girls tried to be. It's witty, funny, and has it's moments. Oliver Reed is good, as well as a surprise performance from Noel Harrison. The whole cast makes this a cinematic treasure. This film was by far underrated, and everyone should experience this wonderful movie. The score and title song is fantastic...should be released on cd! I don't think this film would have worked without Hayley Mills. It just proves what a beautiful and multi-talented actress she is. This film is one of my top ten favorites, and it gets better each time I see it. It should have a major release just to show movie audiences how great those films from the 70's were. Treat yourself to this movie. It moves fast, and has so many memorable and enjoyable moments. I just wish the studios today released more enjoyable films like this!
55 comments|44 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 9 April 2010
For some reason I have always remembered this movie with Ollie Reed far more than any movie of the 60's and have been trying to find it on DVD for over 40 years.....

A truly wonderful and underrated movie of it's time.
on 5 October 2015
I caught ten minutes of this on TV and was interested enough to buy it. Oliver Reed is at the peek of his physical prowess and the ladies I'm sure will enjoy seeing him looking so good. I've never liked hayley Mills but she does a good job here playing the naive but principled young teacher.
BUT - the script is shocking! Truly awful. To convey the hippy character's outlook she constantly says "groovy" and "man" which quickly becomes tedious. The film must have appeared dated within a few years of its release, it pretends to take a sophisticated look at sex but comes over as silly and infantile. George Melly wrote the script and we can see why he stuck to jazz after this. Kingsley wrote the original story and shows himself up for what he truly was: a middle class pretender who had no real grounding in the lives of ordinary people.
If you're a fan of Oliver Reed you may enjoy this film just to see him looking so good, but if you're expecting much more than that look elsewhere. This sounds like rhetoric, but I think it's actually the worst script I've ever heard in a film - seriously.
As for the story - if you manage to make it to the end you'll need a bucket to throw up in - surpris surprise, Kingsley has the rich middle class chap taking her virginity and leaving Reed's character to forever (we presume as viewers) know that his lovely girl was taken by that vile gentleman. A little bit of sick just came up into my mouth just thinking about it.
on 29 September 2011
Every film getting released on DVD or Blu-Ray should get a fair shake to be seen the best way it can. This is a pretty TERRIBLE transfer, the colors looking faded and from an old VHS tape, and/or at LEAST give us the correct screen aspect ratio! By 2008, when this DVD appeared, this should be standard fare! Shame on Sony who put this out. Maybe they didn't feel it was worthy or important enough, but we still have to shell out money to buy it. Whatever your take on the subject, or script, or acting, the film still deserves to be seen the way the director shot it, and at least a print with better color. The old saying, "if something is worth doing, do it right".
on 18 August 2014
very SLOW . It was nice to see Hayley Mills in an old film, but although well acted by both Hayleigh and Oliver Reed, it was a bit weak and did not do justice to the talent of either star. The plot was very see through, and the main issue would be difficult for people not around at the time, to understand. It was quaint really, and has no bearing on reality nowadays, but it whiled away an hour.
on 16 August 2010
I must confess a certain amount of prejudice as this is from my generation and Hayley Mills was one of my 'stars'; also Oliver Reed was one of my favourite actors.: so this is a must for their fans. Certainly a romanic and humerous film well worth getting and be taken back to those days when morals still had a meaning to such decent girls.
on 29 July 2013
Film from my golden era love 70's films. Would recommend to anyone 55-65, memories of youth and we all want to keep them somewhere.
on 16 April 2016
This really takes you back to the '60's . A nice , easy going movie - very entertaining , and with good performances from the three leads .
on 31 October 2014
Really bad quality DVD, the colours were so faded in it, all the people looked grey/green, no matter what I did to my TV settings.
on 17 September 2015
very good film (wonderful Hayley Mills), item quality 10/10, shipping 10/10, timing 10/10... Thanks very much..