5.0 out of 5 stars A definite rising star
Absolutely love this single, and the B-side is great too. Duffy has an incredible voice, a bit bluesy, or almost country sounding, and there's a definite air of the sixties to 'Rockferry'. Occasionally sounds like she's channeling Eva Cassidy, but rockier. So difficult to describe her! As distinctive and hard to categorise as Amy Winehouse (who I also love).
Word...
Published on 13 Dec. 2007 by Jenny

3.0 out of 5 stars Dissappointing
Having got this on the strength of the singles 'Mercy', 'Rockferry', and 'Warwick Avenue', I have to confess to being dissappointed by the album. It's nicely put together and produced, and even hangs together well as an album, but it's all a bit too safe and predictable to be exciting. It makes for a neat, slickly done, sixties soul pastiche, but never really rises above...
Published on 2 May 2009 by Cazz Blase

‹ Previous | 120 21 2225 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Duffy CD, 11 Feb. 2009
This review is from: Rockferry (Audio CD)
Arrived a bit late but that was probably due to Xmas post. Product grand. Thanks

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 29 Dec. 2014
Good

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely brilliant, 9 Mar. 2008
This review is from: Rockferry (Audio CD)
What a brilliant new talent.
Love the numder 1 single but the album is just as good.
Play in the car whilst driving - absolutely fanstatic!!

2.0 out of 5 stars too obvious, 12 Mar. 2008
This review is from: Rockferry (Audio CD)
Just too obviously retro by numbers for me, would love to love it but I can't.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant debut, 9 Mar. 2008
This review is from: Rockferry (Audio CD)
I am so pleased I bought this album as its amazing - my only gripe is that it is not longer!

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 4 Dec. 2014
K. Oravasaari "skibi" (GBG) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Rockferry [VINYL] (Vinyl)
:-D

4.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant music but oh dear- the lyrics..., 25 April 2008
Andrew Halket "buchanan17" (Cambridge UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Rockferry (Audio CD)
I can't imagine that the songsmiths behind these songs - such as Bernard Butler - were responsible for the, at time, risible lyrics on this album. Funny - Duffy "co wrote" all the songs- which I suspect means the (what should be much easier) task of writing lyrics. Butler, who managed to get "whithersoever" into one of his songs with McAlmont must cringe... (though the worst lyrics come on Warwick Avenue - just so clunky)

I don't normally listen to lyrics, but when they are this bad, they spoil the enjoyment. And lyrics aside, Duffy's cowriters have produced a wonderful album, all more down tempo than Mercy. Not a duff track (musically) - my family and I have different favourites - my bias is towards a couple of Butler's numbers - Serious and the closer Distant Dreamer (the longest track which could have been longer so beautiful it was crafted). Try out his albums (with the aforementioned McAlmont) for other such works of art.

Duffy - give up on lyric writing for your next effort, or get some english lessons!

5.0 out of 5 stars For The Love of God!!! SUPERB, 27 Mar. 2008
Mr. T. Evans "Tombo The Great" (Worthing, near brighton, in the UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Rockferry (Audio CD)
How is it that people are comparing Duffy to Amy Winehouse!? This is so wrong, i struggle to put it into words!
It's like comparing Tina Turner to Celine Dion!

My taste in music (bearing in mind in 24) is music like Katie Melua, although i like more chirpy singing also, and heard Duffy on Jools Holland.

This is the first time i have ever fallen in love with someone's singing. She has so much heart, pride and emotion in her singing. It literally takes my breath away when i hear her singing!

Anybody that dampens what can only be described as the 'Best Album of 2008) should be absolutely ashaimed of themselves. I take note of the reviewer who compared this wonderful singers music to a broken cable providing high pitched noises to a CD system. I mean how old are you? 8?!
He goes on to say that its not his cuppa tea?! WHY THE HELL BUY IT THEN!?
I wouldnt review music that isnt my taste as i wouldnt be able to give a non bias review of it... All i can say with regard to people with this type of review is, you should ignore them...

Anywho, back to Duffy's album. It is certainly my favourite album of the year, and i hope they bring some form of DVD out of one of Duffy's live performances, as i will be first in the cue to purchase it!

BUY THIS ALBUM, YOU WONT BE DISAPPOINTED

AN EASY 5 out of 5 IMO!

~~~~~~DUFFY RULES!!!~~~~~~~

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Debut Album - the wait is over, 6 Mar. 2008
Mr. Anthony Dawson "ocadotony" (London, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Rockferry (Audio CD)
I've been waiting for this CD since seeing Duffy on Jules Holland's Hootenany on New Years Eve. It has been well worth the wait. Many people have dubbed her the new Amy Winehouse. Lets hope not in a visual way! She reminds me more of a young Lulu. You can see why comparisons are made to Amy - but her lyrics are far more homely and less controversial.

My favourite track is Mercy.

The 10 tracks on this CD are well ordered - and if I am being brutally honest I am not a big fan of the first and last tracks after listening to it for the first time - they sound a little too distorted for my liking. I am sure those tracks will grow on me over time.

Buy this CD - you won't be disappointed

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing after all the hype, 22 Jun. 2008
S. Cooke "Steve C" (Stockton-on-Tees, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Rockferry (Audio CD)
Like many other people, I first came across Duffy performing on 'Later with Jools Holland' and she was great. The album, however, is a disappointment, with none of the other tracks coming anywhere near to the perfection of hit single 'Mercy'. That song's use of contemporary beats is not typical of the album as a whole, which is much more retro. Duffy's voice reminds me of Carmel McCourt who had two or three UK hits in the 1980s but was largely under-appreciated in this country. However, her lyrics are much more mundane and clichéd.

‹ Previous | 120 21 2225 | Next ›