5.0 out of 5 stars This gal is gonna be a BIG star
There have been a raft of vocalists with a sound that harks back to the 60's and 70's and you could be forgiven for thinking that Duffy is just another one. Her arrival has been carefully managed, with sell out gigs in small venues building the hype, prior to the release of this album.

All music biz manipulation so far then, except that Duffy is worth the hype...
Published on 15 Feb 2008 by Andy Edwards

3.0 out of 5 stars Dissappointing
Published on 2 May 2009 by Cazz Blase

5.0 out of 5 stars This gal is gonna be a BIG star, 15 Feb 2008
Andy Edwards "staxasoul" (Essex UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Rockferry (Audio CD)

All music biz manipulation so far then, except that Duffy is worth the hype and is a potentially huge star. As someone who is addicted to 60's and 70's Soul, and in particular the female vocalists, I hear in Duffy echoes of the great Soul voices, as well as Dusty Springfield, the most obvious comparison. As long as she picks her material and her producers well, then she will be a very big star indeed.

Stand out tracks from the album are "Syrup and Honey" a stripped down, bluesy ballad which showcases her voice perfectly, "Mercy", with it's old school Motown feel, and "Warwick Avenue". On further listening, "Hanging On Too Long" and "Distant Dreamer" are both tracks that will grow on you - they have for me. All in all, an impressive debut and this is a highly recommended purchase for anyone who likes Soul.

Likely to be the album of 2008 - buy it

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning vinyl LP, 5 May 2008
S. Haselden "Haselsh1" (Lincolnshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Rockferry [VINYL] (Vinyl)
With sounds reminiscent of Lulu, Dusty Springfield and Brenda Lee, this LP is quite simply stunning. If however you are expecting everything to sound like Mercy, forget it. This is true quality...!

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant., 3 Mar 2008
This review is from: Rockferry (Audio CD)
Having been enchanted by the single Mercy, and Duffy's live performances of Warwick Avenue and Ready to the Floor (A cover of the Hot Chip song) I was much looking forward to purchasing Rockferry.

I was slightly apprehensive that Mercy would turn out to be the only song of note on the album but my apprehensions were massivley misplaced.

Every song on the album is excellent, the stand out tracks for me are Warwick Avenue, Syrup and Honey, Hanging on too long and Delayed Devotion with Mercy of course a further highlight.

I think to fully enjoy this album you need a hot drink, a quiet room and time to relax.

An absolutley superb debut album from Duffy and the 5 starts are thoroughly warranted.

5.0 out of 5 stars This album more than lives up to the hype!, 21 Mar 2008
This review is from: Rockferry (Audio CD)
I've been a fan of Duffy ever since I first heard "Mercy", I loved her style, and her voice took me into the 60s big-stylee.
After hearing "Rockferry" too, I decided to buy the album and I was NOT disappointed!

1. "Rockferry"
This song is amazing, fantastic mid-tempo tune, and she really displays her amazing vocal range when she sings the last chorus a whole octave higher! Bloody hard to sing a long to, but you won't be able to resist trying!

2. "Warwick Avenue"
I was SO impressed with this song. It's really bluesy and it shows off her great voice, it's catchy and it's definitely one of the album's highlights.

3. "Serious"
This is one of the two tracks on the album which I'm not entirely sure of. It sounds a little bit poppy compared to the rest of the album, plus the verses seem to lead up to a chorus which is a bit lacklustre. Definitely still listenable, but more so for the verses than anything else.

4. "Stepping Stone"
This song is beautiful. Love the chorus, there are some beautiful high notes and she just pulls it off brilliantly.

5. "Syrup And Honey"
LOVE this song, definitely a contender to be one of my favourite songs on the album. Here she sings about how money doesn't matter as long as she has the love of her partner. Great, simple lyrics and just a fantastic track.

6. "Hanging On Too Long"
This is the other of the two tracks which I don't love. There are no really spectacular high notes here, and although it's only four minutes long, the song seems to drag a bit as there isn't much change in her pitch all the way through.

7. "Mercy"
What needs to be said about this song? It's obviously phenomenal, catchy sixties beats and those high notes make this song. If you just like the style of the song, don't buy the album on that note, but if it's her voice you love then this album's for you.

8. "Delayed Devotion"
This song is quite uptempo and punchy, it's catchy and although it's not one of the best tracks on the album, it's still very listenable.

9. "I'm Scared"
This song is a beautiful ballad which deals with the issue of death. It's very soul-fuelled and bluesy, and Duffy seems to sing the song with real emotion.

10. "Distant Dreamer"
This track closes the album in style. I have to admit that at first I wasn't mad about it, and I was a bit skeptical about it being 5 minutes long as I sometimes have quite a short attention span when it comes to songs! But her voice sounds beautiful on this, the chorus is amazing and the tune is really big-band style.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Real Deal, 3 Mar 2008
D. Brockis "dave6566" (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Rockferry (Audio CD)
How many times have you been drawn to buying an album by buckets full of hype and a really strong single, only to find you've heard the best? Not this time.

Rockferry's ten tracks are each one a soulful gem: fabulous writing, great playing and that voice. An instant classic.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 23 Aug 2008
This review is from: Rockferry (Audio CD)
I can't believe it took me so long to buy this album. People have been telling me it's great for ages. Thing is, somehow I managed to not hear any Duffy songs until about a month ago. Yeah, I know, where have I been?
Anyway, this is excellent. Warwick Avenue, Mercy, Rockferry they're all classic tracks that sound like you've known them for years.
Great voice, great music, great lyrics. Overall a very accessible album.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Perfect Album, 5 May 2008
C. Jones (Wales) - See all my reviews
Not one bad song!

A beautiful album with a perfect blend of upbeat, feel-good songs complimented with easy-going, relaxing ones.
Well suited for any situation, from driving to sleeping.
This album reaches out to all audiences from young children right the way up to those over 80, and everyone in between.

3.0 out of 5 stars Dissappointing, 2 May 2009
This review is from: Rockferry (Audio CD)
Having got this on the strength of the singles 'Mercy', 'Rockferry', and 'Warwick Avenue', I have to confess to being dissappointed by the album. It's nicely put together and produced, and even hangs together well as an album, but it's all a bit too safe and predictable to be exciting. It makes for a neat, slickly done, sixties soul pastiche, but never really rises above that to become something in its own right.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Welsh Talent, 23 April 2008
M. Burrows (Wales) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Rockferry (Audio CD)
Thank god we've now got some decent new Welsh talent, this album is fantastic i can't stop listening to it. I think my neighbours wouldn't agree after hearing it all the time :0)

My favourite track is Stepping Stone, the words to the song are amazing because nearly everyone has been through that, i know i have.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it, Love it, Love it!!, 27 May 2008
Big Bertha (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Rockferry (Audio CD)
It's years since I've bought a CD but after finding myself repeatedly humming 'Mercy' and unable to get it out of my head after hearing it on the car radio I was tempted. Hearing 'Warwick Avenue' (again on the car radio) did it for me and the CD was sold!

There's not one track that I don't think is fantastic and 'Distant Dreamer' sends shivers up the back of my neck.

Have to say it's totally unlike anything else in my CD collection and it is a CD I'll be playing again and again (much to everyone else in my houses annoyance I'm sure!)

Rockferry