5.0 out of 5 stars great cd
Really brilliant cd that i can't stop listening to! Came in great time in secure packaging for a good price. This CD includes the number 1 hits "I kissed a girl" and "Hot 'n Cold" Would definitely recommend this, regardless of whether you're a Perry fan
Published on 7 Jan. 2012 by apleximus

2.0 out of 5 stars One of the Pointless
Published 2 months ago by Mr. Iain R. Wear

5.0 out of 5 stars great cd, 7 Jan. 2012

5.0 out of 5 stars Poptastic!:)x, 12 Sept. 2010
This review is from: One Of The Boys (Audio CD)
I've always been a huge fan of Katy Perry, so when her fourth single, 'Waking up in Vegas', came out I just had to have this album, having loved every song she'd brought out!
I definitely wasn't disappointed! This album is crammed full with vibrant, upbeat and charismatic rock/pop tunes that you could listen to over and over again!
What I love is how different and unique she is, and how outstanding her vocals are to some very catchy, quirky and funny lyrics! I would recommend this to anyone!
1.) One of the Boys- a brilliant start to the album! Catchy and a good concept, very different to the usual 'love songs' you here, 8/10
2.) I Kissed a Girl- FANTASTIC! One of the best here! It's been out for a few years now and I still haven't got bored of it! It's daring, it's sexy and it's cool! 10/10
3.) Waking up in Vegas- One to dance to! If you've ever partied in Vegas, you'll definitely relate to this song! It's fun and nothing too serious! 10/10
4.) Thinking of You- different to previous songs, as this one is a great ballad! Katy's vocals are outstanding and she proves she's not just about the soaring party beats, she can offer a good heartfelt melody too! 10/10
5.) Mannequin- one of my personal favourites on the album! Very rocktastic! Brilliant lyrics, and definitely something I could relate to! 10/10
6.) Ur So Gay- Hilarious and catchy! Very daring and different! Slower beat than a lot of the other songs, which is a nice change :) 10/10
7.) Hot n Cold- Again shear pop brilliance! I just can't get bored of it! Very catchy and one to dance and sing-a-long to! 10/10
8.) If you Cna Afford Me- not the best but still a good listen! Good lyrics :) 8/10
9.) Lost- definitely a heartfelt melody to listen to! Very touching, and a surprise change from Katy's usual persona! You see a vulnerable side to her here! Still fantastic! 7/10
10.) Self Inflicted- Love it! Sad, yet upbeat and very powerful! Worth a listen! 9/10
11.) I'm Still Breathing- Slow and beautifully written, sung and a powerful concept! One to cry to! Love it! 9/10
12.) Fingerprints- not the best, but a good end to the album! Still Perry good though!:) 7/10

13.) I Kissed a Girl (rock mix)- Not totally necassary, but worth a listen for any I Kissed a Girl fans! Good new mix, but it doesn't beat the original! 7/10

..This also includes the video to I Kissed a Girl! :)

Very good as Katy's debut..and I can't wait to go out and buy her new album aving loved California Gurls!!!! I'm sure it'll be just as good as this, though I'm still contemplating over whether or not it could ever beat it!:) Buy, buy, buy!!!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Amazing!!!, 9 Dec. 2011
This review is from: One Of The Boys (Audio CD)
Such a brilliant album, her voice is amazing with an increadible vocal range that is experienced through 13 great songs!

One Of The Boys- brilliant opening, good lyrics, catchy.
I Kissed A Girl- no explanation needed!
Waking Up In Vegas- again billiant, catchy, great build up.
Thinking Of You- good song, ballad about an ex.
Mannequin- critics say is horrible, i say unique brilliance, class.
Ur So Gay (Edited)- disappointing, download class american version.
Hot N Cold- fantastic catchy tune, you will dance.
If You Can Afford Me- again, full of attitude and catchy!
Lost (Edited)- good song, vocal range superb here.
Self Inflicted- excellent song, sing along to this- LOUD!
I'm Still Breathing- another ballad- good song.
Fingerprints- another good song, catchy.

There is also a hidden bonus version of 'I Kissed A Girl'- the 'Rock Mix' which is utterly brrilliant! Overall I love this album and can't stop listening to it!

4.0 out of 5 stars One for the girls..., 16 April 2009
This review is from: One Of The Boys (Audio CD)
I only bought this cd because my 3 year old came back from nursery singing "I kissed a girl and I liked it, tastes like cherry and chop sticks..." and I'm afraid to say I thought it was funny (although I was a little worried why they were listening to it at nursery in the first place). However, I really like the rest if the album too, although there are a few songs which are a bit slow and I end up skipping them, I much prefer the more upbeat ones and I think it suits her singing style

5.0 out of 5 stars A fun album to listen to., 7 Sept. 2011
Victoria Mcnaught "Vix0r" (Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: One Of The Boys (Audio CD)
I bought this one after having bought her second album and was actually surprised at how much I came to like it! Whenever I had heard Hot 'n' Cold on the radio I hadn't been bothered, but from actually listening to the album as a whole I'm now pretty fond of it, and all the others on this. It's not quite as good as her second, but I'd really recommend this.

If you're a parent buying it for a young daughter, listen to the songs yourself first before deciding if you're happy giving it to your kid or not. I know there's bound to be some out there who'd be a bit reluctant, so this is a heads up. =P

2.0 out of 5 stars One of the Pointless, 12 Feb. 2015
This review is from: One Of The Boys (Audio CD)
Isn't it funny how times change? Way back in the mid-1970s, Elton John announced he was bisexual and the world reacted by buying his records in smaller quantities than before. Thirty years later, Katy Perry releases "I Kissed a Girl", hinting at bisexual tendencies and it storms to the top of the charts and results in her being overhyped to a much greater extent than her talent deserves. These days, it's more of a disappointment when she admitted that she has never actually kissed a girl.

Ultimately, artists that get the kind of hype Katy Perry does rarely turn out to deserve it. She's certainly come a long way from an absolute unknown to emulating Christina Aguilera by presenting the MTV Europe Music Awards recently and managing to secure more wardrobe changes than her predecessor. Whilst Aguilera has earned the right to do so by topping the charts consistently over the last few years, Perry doesn't have the back catalogue to support her fame and it turns out that her wardrobe is of better quality and will probably endure longer than her music.

It's not that this is a bad album as such, it's just really nothing new. Given the relative attention and sales figures of some of the artists that Perry sounds like, it suggests that the album has triumphed because of the hype rather than the quality of the music. Admittedly, Perry or whoever advises her have been smart enough to take full advantage of the hype generated by the mildly shocking lyrics from her first couple of singles and I can't condemn her for that.

But this does not excuse the fact that this is 12 tracks and 44 minutes of the same kind of music that has been done to death ever since Avril Lavigne first showed that a woman with a guitar and heavy pop sound could sell records in large quantities six years ago. If you like this sort of thing, you're just as well off finding a copy of Ashlee Simpson's "Autobiography" album.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this album, 21 Feb. 2014
This review is from: One Of The Boys (MP3 Download)
I am a big fan of katy Perry I love most of her songs cuz well her songs can tell a story and I always get a picture in my head when I listen to her music. This album was soo fab x It could not have been better ;) here are my thoughts on the songs xx

One of the boys: 5/5 a fab song to start the album :)
I kissed a girl: 5/5 love this song ;)
Waking up in last vagus: 4/5 love the song but not as much as I kissed agirl
Thinking of you: 3/5 not 2 keen on this one too slow -.-
Mannequin: 5/5 tells a story love it! :D
Ur so gay: 5/5 this is my fav one the beginning is like a cow boy scene :D
Hot n cold: 5/5 it's a really good one but it has a swear word and I'm not allowed to play it that much :( which is disappointing as its really catchy
If u can afford me: 5/5 but again swearing -,-
Lost: 3/5 don't like this one it's boring
Self inflected: 3/5 it's ok but swearing AGAIN!
I'm still breathing: 1/5 this one is the worst one yet plus half of it is kinda rap. It's sad and it made me cry so yeah it's the worst one in the album

So yeah the album is great and I recommend it 2 Katy Perry fans ;) But just to warn u there is swearing in this album ( hot n cold, if u can afford me, self infected) I don't know why they didn't put a warning of this album. But anyway great album and please please please please check out moviestarplanet my username is Katy Perry lover 123! I need more friends and if ur a Katy Perry fan like me I would be happy 2 talk 2 u bout her ;)

Thanx 4 reading bye<3 ( by the way if the moviestarplanet part wasn't useful to u please come talk to me on the game I will answer all ur questions ;)

5.0 out of 5 stars Pure pop power!, 13 Dec. 2011
This review is from: One Of The Boys (Audio CD)
After a slow start, I'm really now starting to like Katy Perry. She's definitely put some fun back into pop music again, by not taking herself too seriously yet delivering some killer pop gems - my favourites are the singles so far 'Hot 'N' Cold' and 'Waking Up in Vegas', though 'I Kissed a Girl' isn't my favourite.

Her vocals may not be the best in the world, but that never stopped Madonna! She's fun, bright, and her music makes you want to get onto the dance floor and tear it up!

Can't ask for more! That's what good pop music should do!

5.0 out of 5 stars perfect, 3 Jun. 2014
This review is from: One Of The Boys (MP3 Download)
Flawless album! Katy at her rawest, perfect production, amazing lyrics an very catchy timeless songs! Amazing pop tracks, pop/rock tracks an a few beautiful ballads a must buy!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars A Happy Little Highway To Hell, 27 Sept. 2008
The Wolf (uk) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)
First things first.

Does it offend ?

We are being led to believe that Ms Perry's (nee Hudson) debut album
has ruffled a few feathers within the sweaty-palmed enclaves of America's
moral majority and beyond.

Indeed, even her evangelical parents are allegedly outraged.

Lighten up Mom and Dad - You have every reason to be proud of your lovely daughter!

On a scale of one-to-ten 'One Of The Boys' has not registered even a paltry
0.0001 on The Wolf's disgust-o-meter.
There are many more creatively perverse ways of hitching a ride to hell
than listening to this splendid little album.

Whether Ms Perry has, or has not, discovered pleasure in mouth-to-mouth
contact with another female of her species is not the issue (for goodness-sake
in The Home Forest squirrels are doing it all the time).

These twelve songs deliver as much fun as it is feasibly possible to have
with a four-and-a half inch diameter piece of shiny plastic.

Our heroine emerges with her "cherry chapstick' (...not chopstick as your
reviewer initially believed he had heard) entirely intact.

This is uber-competent power-pop of the very first order. Truly stonking stuff.

'Waking Up In Vegas', 'If You Can Afford Me', 'Self Inflicted', 'Fingerprints' and 'Hot and Cold',
however formulaic, are all barnstorming models of foot tapping singalong perfection.

The formula is a good one.

'Thinking Of You', 'Lost' and 'I'm Still Breathing' demonstrate her capacity to
vary the emotional palette and pace without losing our attention.

'Ur So Gay' is a metrosexual hoot. Dig out your favorite recording of Die Zauberflote
( my own preference remains the 1964 Karl Bohm / BPO set ) and play along !

'Mannequin' is as fine a pop song as you will hear anywhere in the musical firmament this year.

Unreserved praise, then, for this cracking little offering !

Highly Recommended.