4.0 out of 5 stars Don't be too quick to dismiss this
As with a lot of people, I heard 'Put Your Records On' at some point on TV and loved it, gave in to all the media hype about this album and bought it. And like a lot of people, I was rather disappointed - it was almost anticlimactic. It wasn't bad, nothing too special.

However, things change.

As I continued to listen to the album - even if just for...
Published on 24 July 2006 by DLD Woods

3.0 out of 5 stars Use your own ears
Well I cannot understand anyone who listens through an Ipod to a compressed MP3 file daring to make a comment on sound quality. The reason most things are so badly recorded is because the population are listening to WAV's through £10 headphones.

Published on 9 Jan 2007 by R. J. Davies

4.0 out of 5 stars Don't be too quick to dismiss this, 24 July 2006
DLD Woods (Hampshire, England) - See all my reviews

However, things change.

As I continued to listen to the album - even if just for 'Put Your Records On' and 'Breathless' at first - it started to grow on me. If you ever listened to 'O' by Damien Rice, I suspect you know what I mean. What both of the albums have in common is that while they are at first disarmingly subtle (verging on boring, to be frank), they grow on you. In a HUGE way. It may take you 4, 5, maybe more run-throughs, but be assured that this CD is a sound investment. If you've got the patience to get to know this music, you won't be at all disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Put this record on, it's really good, 13 Aug 2006
This review is from: Corinne Bailey Rae (Audio CD)
What a throaty but delicious voice young Corinne has. I heard her on late night TV recently and I was surprised that I really liked how she sang, not only that, I liked the songs she was singing too!

I loved the song Put Your Records On, it was so charming and surreal and Trouble Sleeping was equally as good, not only that but both the videos were eye catching and very 1940s to 1950s to look at with bike rides in the country and visits to a basement jazz hall by a sultry looking Corinne who reminded me of a 21st century Nina Simone.

All the songs on this Album are pretty good, Corinne has done very well for one so young, and I look forward to watching her mature, I just hope she doesn't become too full of herself, I think if she does, she will loose some of the sparkling charm which makes her a cut above other artists of a similar ilk.

5.0 out of 5 stars A school program introduced me to this truly unique talent!, 4 Mar 2009
Reginald D. Garrard "the G-man" (Camilla, GA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Corinne Bailey Rae (Audio CD)
Almost two years ago, during the course of a school program, I heard "Like a Star" for the first time, as it was the background selection used by a dance group. I was, figuratively, blown away by Rae's mesmerizing vocals and had to hear more from the young artist.

I'm glad that I opted to buy the double CD over the original release because it offers the listener the chance to really appreciate Rae's diversity, as she tackles a variety of styles, from R & B to jazz to "torch" songs.

Corinne Bailey Rae's voice is reminiscent of so many vocal stylists like Billie Holliday and current favorite Erykah Badu; However, she is painting her own place in the musical landscape and this double-CD - especially on the covers on disc 2 - is the perfect introduction to a singer that's destined for a long career in music.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Genuine New Talent, 23 Mar 2006
This review is from: Corinne Bailey Rae (Audio CD)
This young lady does indeed have something special...we are treated to the usual parade of cynics who dub this a R&B Lite. True, aspects of the product veer in that direction, however some don't [accordian anyone?] and, yes a great deal of that genre is pointless tat. Corinne, however is very exciting prospect for two reasons: 1. Yes, that voice - it's here unique and charming diction which is so unique - not always precise but often deliberately so. This is probably what draws most comparisons with Ms. Holliday who was similarly experimental but they are not the same. And as for the vocal harmonies - wow - listen to the Accoustic version of 'Put your records on' - wonderful. 2. The quality of the songs - they do mine a common theme - but with distinct voices - the writing partnerships work very well and provide different takes on the subject matter. The scatalogical approach again veers towards 'jazz' but the personal details keep the whole mix very grounded. Fantastic for a first album and I suspect there's a lot more to come....forget the hype and industry 'messages', let's just celebrate a great British, Northern talent - it's what we're best at. Well done Corinne, love Neil

3.0 out of 5 stars Use your own ears, 9 Jan 2007
R. J. Davies "Rich" (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Corinne Bailey Rae (Audio CD)

For those who have Hi Fi equipment, take a listen to Miss Bailey Rae. The vocal arrangements are oustanding, and though the recording has been made radio friendly this is still music that should be given positive consideration. I think she has talent, and as she writes as well as sings it would be great if she was encouraged, or we will end up with just Pop Idol clones to download onto disposable hard drives..

Not a great album, but very, very good. Give it a try.

5.0 out of 5 stars wow, don't listen to the other reviews this album is great!, 21 May 2006
Anna (Suffolk, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Corinne Bailey Rae (Audio CD)
I'm not the kind of person who would lke this kind of music, normally.....but this is great! It's so different to anything else i listen to, my favourite bands include corinne bailey rae, the killers, arctic monkeys, red hot chilis and zutons. However this album is something that can calm you down, she's a great singer who deserves the five stars i gave her!

My favourite song is Enchantement which is really tuneful and really brings out her voice.

Even if you, like me, don't normally like this kind of thing, buy it anyway, it's so good, it's got me listening to loads of other stuff like her, and if you do like this kind of music, then you'll LOVE Corinne Bailey Rae. Congrats for a great debut album!

4.0 out of 5 stars Soulful and mellow, 11 May 2006
Ann Van Huffel "e-man10" (Antwerp, Belgium) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Corinne Bailey Rae (Audio CD)
I think if Corinne reminds me of anyone it's not Billy Holiday but artists like Minnie Ripperton or Sade. In other words this is a sunny, airy, summery album full of mellow, soulful tunes that is miles removed from the anguish of Holiday.

Put this record on, go sit in the sun with a latte and just chill!

That's the kind of record this is.

5.0 out of 5 stars Unique & special voice., 31 May 2006
This review is from: Corinne Bailey Rae (Audio CD)
This is a wonderful CD. Corinne has a unique and special voice. Track 4 in particular gives me goose pimples. It's a lovely CD to kick back and enjoy a glass of wine too. Buy it! It'll get under your skin and you'll keep going back to it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy listening and lyrics are insperational, 9 May 2006
This review is from: Corinne Bailey Rae (Audio CD)
Corinne Bailey Rae definantly hits a chord in my musical taste buds!the energy in her music, reflects in her lyrics.It's deep also yet meaningfull in a light hearted way..no matter how u feel anytime of the day, hit the play button on your stereo and sit back and enjoy!

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply sublime, 9 Mar 2006
By A Customer
This review is from: Corinne Bailey Rae (Audio CD)
Expectations can be a heavy burden but CBR's debut album was certainly well worth the wait. From the first words of the beautifully delicate Like A Star to the fade out of Seasons Change, this has obviously been a labour of love for all involved. Corinne's voice floats, dips and dives in a truly magical fashion. I loved it.

Corinne Bailey Rae