5.0 out of 5 stars Helped my communication and effectiveness immediately
I recommend this book to everyone who wants to improve their interactions with others and understand themselves better. I have found my understanding of other people and my interactions with them improve enormously since I read it.
Published on 2 Nov 2002 by steve_reviews

2.0 out of 5 stars school book
Written like a school textbook for GSCE students; i.e. dry, boring and very forgetable. For engaging and far superior reads I would recommend - 'Listening' by Anne Long, and /or 'The Lost Art of Listening' by Michael Nichols
Published on 24 Nov 2007 by D. Burke

5.0 out of 5 stars Helped my communication and effectiveness immediately, 2 Nov 2002
The book is simply and clearly put together. It explains why we are generally such poor listeners. It gets you to understand how effective a listener you are already and helps you build your listening effectiveness through some very simple steps and helps you develop an interactive, empathetic style. Once you have read it I guarantee you will look at the world in a different way and other people will comment on how much better a listener you are.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book - revealing and practical, 16 Nov 1998
By A Customer
I strongly recommend this book for just about everyone. I believe that most of us have huge room for improvement in the area of listening ( if you don't agree, the author will probably convince you of this). The book provides information on typical listening styles, why most of us listen the way we do, and methods for improving your skills. Unlike some other books which confine themselves to the detrimental effects of not listening properly, this one gives you plenty of practical guidance on things you can do to enhance your abilities in this most difficult of communication skills.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book, 5 April 1999
By A Customer
I strongly recommend this book. To be quite honest I just fell in love with this book, it tought me things that I never knew about myself.
I've heard all this time and never really took the time to listen.Now, I understand what listening is and how it helped me enchance my abilities to communicate better and better. Everyone should read this book, great asset.
I have met Ms.Madelyn Burley-Allen and she is quite a charming lady. You learn when she speaks.

2.0 out of 5 stars school book, 24 Nov 2007
D. Burke - See all my reviews

3.0 out of 5 stars Not the best book in this field, 8 Mar 2010
The skill of listening is perhaps one of the most important skills which we can learn because it is a skill that can be used every day of our lives with family, friends and at work. How many skills are there that you can say the same about?

I was quite disappointed with this book 'Listening: The Forgotten Skill.' It can teach listening skills so your money isn't wasted but I know from this book that the author also teaches courses in assertiveness skills and I got a strong feeling that she was using most of the material from that course in this book.

For example there is a chapter called 'Listening to Yourself' which I believe did not need to be included in this book. Also I'm not sure it is worth spending time finding out why we have poor listening skills by looking at our childhood experiences. It's more important in my opinion just to learn listening skills and use them.

I have read a number of books which teach listening skills and my number one favourite is 'People Skills' by Robert Bolton. Bolton's book (written over 25 years ago but available as new at amazon) is about communication skills and only 110 pages are devoted to listening skills but it has a logical, easy to follow flow to it and it teaches listening skills in the quickest way. So for me the Bolton book is superior.

However, if you want to read a second book on listening skills then 'Listening: The Forgotten Skill' would be worth reading then.

ARRAY(0xab8ac954)