5.0 out of 5 stars "A La Claire Fontaine"
Published on 13 Aug 2009 by DL Productions UK

3.0 out of 5 stars DVD
Reasonable film. I think will appeal more to women than men. I do not have any more to say about it
Published 16 months ago by L. EMANUEL

5.0 out of 5 stars "A La Claire Fontaine", 13 Aug 2009
DL Productions UK (Merseyside, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
It's a rarity nowadays, but films like these really make you think about life, and how we perceive things, like whether this blu-ray is a classic, well I think it is, because after renting it, I ordered it, and that's a rarity for me. This film touched me, the sincerity, the fact it's not all coloured to suit the cinema, and the fact it's not glamorised or dressed up, and covered in make up make this a real treasure - and finding it has really opened my eyes to the way we perceive life, our bond with family, and the way we see criminality.

Kristin Scott-Thomas is amazing as Juliette - a red-eyed timid woman who has come back to the family after being away for so long, and coming back to Léa's home, and we see how Juliette rebuilds her life, and how she feels in life - all beautifully told without special effects, which makes this such an important piece of cinema for me. The realness, tenderness, and almost classical way of direction, photography and script really put this above anything else - this is surely in my top ten.

This Blu-Ray really does the film justice too, the beautiful colours flow nicely on-screen, and the picture is sharp - and the sound is excellent, though I found the PCM track too quiet on my system, so I used the surround sound 5.1 - which is ample in my opinion. The subtitles (which I didn't use) were clear and well set out on the picture, and the framing is perfect.

The extras - though not many are just superb, an interview with Philippe Claudel, writer and director is quite compelling, and lasts over an hour. There are something like 5 deleted scenes, and to me they were really not needed - so good call by Claudel.

This really is a masterpiece - the whole crew have done such a superb job. Don't rent this, buy it, you'll never regret it. Wish I could tell you more about the movie, but that would spoil it and I feel that would be criminal to do so.

5.0 out of 5 stars Un chef-d'oeuvre!, 9 April 2010
Mr. R. Willett "Rob MK" (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: I've Loved You So Long [DVD] (DVD)
Reading some of the poorer review markings I felt obliged to comment.
First of all, if you buy a Euro region DVD and it doesn't play in your American DVD player, that's your fault not the film's.

Secondly, remember this is a French film. Subtitles are never a substitute for the real thing and there are many subtleties in the dialogue that are not and can not be expressed in subtitles, also if you don't have the correct screen size you will only see the top of the titles. I wonder if this is what happened with one of the other reviewers.

Thirdly, and this is my main point: this is one of the best films I have ever seen. At the beginning I felt dread as the main character was left alone with children, but as the story developed - slow yes, but deliciously slow - I became aware of the true nature of this woman. Symbolism was strong in this film, the visit to the art gallery in Nancy was for me a highlight of the film.

This is a truly moving film, if you don't find it so you are missing something.

5.0 out of 5 stars I've Loved You So Long, 10 April 2009
RD - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: I've Loved You So Long [DVD] (DVD)
10 out of 10 in every respect. One could argue that this is a bit of an arty film. There is no tense build up to any major climax per say.
The story revolves around Julliene (Kristen Scott Thomas) who is reunited with her sister after spending 15yrs in jail. It largely follows her budding relationship with the family and her return to the world after such a long time away.
The only 'intrigue' (it can hardly be described as such) is the gradual revalation of why she was in prison. I use the word intrigue lightly because after a while it becomes reasonably obvious.
Kristen Scott Thomas's acting is oscar worthy without a doubt. She conveys all the emotions of her character so well not only through dialog but body language.
A relatively slow going but moving movie about relationships and the return to life.

5.0 out of 5 stars Exceptional Kristin Scott Thomas for an exceptional film, 6 Aug 2009
Mr. Labas Jean "techenofil" (Yvelines) - See all my reviews
As a french customer, I was particularly pleased to find this extremely moving film transfered on blu-ray (not available in France) with an excellent quality which Kristin Scott Thomas deserves most of all for her exceptionally moving performance in this film. What a pity this wonderful and sensitive actress had not gained the very first rank amongst the worldwide acclaimed stars ! As Elsa Sylberstein is excellent too, and the whole cast on a vey good level, all the subtle feelings that talented Philippe Claudel wished to put in this film are magnificently enhanced.
A must have to see and see again !

4.0 out of 5 stars Amazing performance - where's she been all these years?, 30 Sep 2009
D. G. JAMES "BuzzSaw123" (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: I've Loved You So Long [DVD] (DVD)
My girlfriend got this out when we were having a night in and at first I did a massive sigh because I thought it looked soppy and depressing. But when we started watching it it was totally different. Even though it's slow it never gets boring, namely due to how good Kristin Scott Thomas is in it. She's kind of quiet and sullen for most of it and you can't tell why and then when it all comes out and she cries and screams and shouts it's just riveting. We didn't say a word throughout it and were just glued to the screen. We didn't even notice that it was subtitled, just got swept along. I really hope she's going to be doing some more stuff in the future, I really can't wait to see her in stuff.

5.0 out of 5 stars Masterpiece, 11 Feb 2009
This review is from: I've Loved You So Long [DVD] (DVD)
This is a wonderful warm and amazing movie. Its a simple story of a woman trying to re engage with her own family and society after a long absence. I dont want to give any thing away about why the main character has been away. Its so wonderfully done, slow and meaningful and searingly powerful. Its the little details that give this movie so much power. I cant remember any recent movie I have seen that left me so moved. Kristin is a towering actor, truly awesome, I cant think of any other actor who could have carried off such a demanding role with such insight & grace. Spell binding cinema, this kind of movie defines what movies should be about. I cant commend it highly enough. Work of genius. All the ensemble characters are all wonderful as well.

5.0 out of 5 stars French cinema at it's dramatic best !, 24 Nov 2009
This review is from: I've Loved You So Long [DVD] (DVD)
This is great stuff! A brilliant, mesmerising film. Kristin Scott Thomas is always good (Four Weddings and a Funeral, The English Patient et al) and here she is on her most dramatic top form. A woman doctor, deeply unhappy, returns from a long prison sentence and reunites with her sister. She struggles to re-cover common ground from their shared childhood and to re-establish herself back in society. (I won't mention her crime other than to say it is sad in the extreme). This film is intelligent and compassionate. It's typical French cinema with no time wasted between important scenes by anything gratuitous. The film is well sub-titled in English and does not hinder ones following of the screenplay.
All involved in the production of this movie do a great job. It is a super movie -two thumbs up and five stars all the way for this one!

4.0 out of 5 stars Remarkable Central Role, 29 Sep 2009
Charles Vasey (London, England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: I've Loved You So Long [DVD] (DVD)
French film has a tradition of featuring bourgeoises whose lives are very different from most of us. They have safe jobs that permit them many of the luxuries of life, they discuss politics and the arts over dinner, and they spend the weekends in the country in lovely old country houses; life, in short, has built them to worry about something less mundane than everyone else. Out of this soup of convention pops a chewy bit in the shape of Kristin Scott Thomas, a woman with a Terrible Past encountering the difficulties of getting a job as an ex-con and to re-entering non-institutional life. It is as if Mike Leigh has invaded Eric Rohmer. Scott Thomas does very well at projecting repressed anger, sadness and fragility against a background of normality. She wanders along holding up a mirror to the rest of the players; the tragic policeman always searching for the Orinocco, the pathetic boss encouraging teamwork with a threat, the liberal brother-in-law with more than a hint of the Daily Mail in his responses. The denouement is satisfying but charged with emotion and played by the two sisters to perfection.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sisterly Love, 26 Mar 2009
Elzbieta Kopiel "Ellie Kopiel" (London UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: I've Loved You So Long [DVD] (DVD)
I thought this was a very moving film and showed how you can move from total despair and depression to a state of hope for the future. It shows that true love wins through no matter what you are led to believe. The younger sister's love for her sister allowed her to accept her whatever the crime she had committed. It is an excellent lesson for not jumping to conclusions and judgements.

5.0 out of 5 stars Scott Thomas Shows Ability as a Tragedienne, 1 Aug 2010
Stephanie De Pue (Wilmington, NC USA) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: I've Loved You So Long [DVD] (DVD)
"I've Loved You So Long," ("Il ya longtemps que je t'aime") (2008) a French-speaking feature film, a drama/ mystery, and an exemplar of French "intimisme,"was first released in March 2008 in Belgium. It stars one of everyone's favorite English actresses, Kristin Scott Thomas (Four Weddings And A Funeral [DVD] [1994];The English Patient [DVD] [1997]). As a DVD, it comes to us, fortunately enough, with a choice of subtitles, or dubbed English. But back to Scott Thomas; what a bang-up year the woman has had, what with "I've Loved You So Long," and its close companion feature,Tell No-One (Ne Le Dis A Personne) [DVD] [2006], also in French, which also achieved art house release here, probably due to her presence in the cast. She has married a French citizen, I understand, and taken up residence there, which goes to explain her sudden presence in French movies.

The film, which was nominated for two Golden Globes, was written and directed by Philippe Claudel: it is ably carried by the superior acting of Scott Thomas, who surely deserved her Golden Globes nod, and ought, perhaps, to have done even better than that. It concerns Juliette Fontaine, a frail woman, and a trained doctor, struggling to adjust herself to life, and her family, after having served 15 years in prison for the death of her son. Many scenes are heart-wrenching tennis matches, between Scott Thomas, and Elsa Zylberstein, who plays her sister Lea, and never misses a shot, either. I'd have to characterize it as a woman's picture, and a weeper, as well, emphasizing, as it does, children, emotion, love and other feelings. I was moved by the film's emphasis on these verities: to me, they are the straw we need to build the bricks that make our lives worthwhile: and while I'm at it, let me add that I doubt any audience member would ever think the intelligent Scott Thomas would commit the crime for which she has been jailed without an overwhelmingly good reason. But she surely does work up a head of emotional power, and, for an actor who began her career as a light comedienne, can now lay claim proudly to that traditional French theatrical title of acclaim: "tragedienne." Can literature's classic roles, such as Medea and Phaedra, be far behind?

I've Loved You So Long [DVD]
I've Loved You So Long [DVD] by Philippe Claudel (DVD - 2009)
6.12