4.0 out of 5 stars Good product easy to fit

1.0 out of 5 stars not worth it
Published on 28 Nov. 2011 by Mrs. Alison Brooks

1.0 out of 5 stars not worth it, 28 Nov. 2011
Mrs. Alison Brooks (uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: PowerBee ® Signaller Twin Head Solar Security Light 56 Superbright Led's mains equivalent security lighting for your home or business
i purchased one of these on the strength of all the fab reviews but i wonder how many of those reviewers did so within a short time of using the product as i bet if they waited a bit longer they wouldnt review the product as highly. Firstly the product is easy to set up and works fantasticly for a couple of months mine then refused to come on. I contacted powerbee who have a fantastic customer service and they told me to leave of off for a few days to fully charge then try it again. I did this but it still didnt work. Powerbee asked me to send it back and confirmed they had a dodgy batch and would send me a replacement. My postage etc was refunded and a new light was sent. Once again it worked fine for a couple of months then started flashing on and off like a disco light and wouldnt stop until you physically turned it off, not a easy task if the light is in a high position! Once again powerbee told me it must have been from the dodgy batch and i was unlucky to get another one but they agreed to send yet another. Guess what number 3 stopped coming on again after a few months, if i leave it switched off for a week it builds up enough charge to come on once then thats your lot. When it does come on a couple of the LED lights are broken and dont light up at all. The solar panel faces south so gets a lot of light to charge it so i think it is just a rubbish product and now it doesnt come on at all. I havent even bothered contacting powerbee this time as it is now out of guarantee but the product is not fit for purpose and a waste of money.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good product easy to fit, 19 April 2010
I was looking to replace an old 500w mains unit which was falling apart after 15 years in the Welsh rain. I decided to look for an LED replacement to do my bit for the planet. The price was reasonable and looked sturdy so I took the plunge. The unit came with enough battery charge to enable me to have a play with the controls indoors at twilight to adjust the timing and ambient light settings. The fitting of the solar panel was easy and my only gripe was that in order to mount the light's fixing bracket, you have to undo the two side nuts and remove the light. Putting the nuts screws back together, at hight, in the cold, and with one pair of hands was a bit tricky as the nut is on the inside and a bit fiddly to hold in place while trying to engage the screw. Eventually, I managed to find a bit of blue tack to hold the nuts in place and got the unit mounted. The PIR was the last thing to adjust and there was no problem adjusting for the required area of pick-up. The beam is surprisingly powerful, easily covering the required area of apx 30 square yards. The light has been working fine for three months and I would recommend it to anyone who has a spare blob of blue tack.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not reliable, 28 Oct. 2011
I live in East Africa and I got two of these lights because we have extended power cuts every day, sometimes up to 12 hours a day. The quality of the materials used is pretty good and they are certainly good value, but:

1. Once you've fitted the mounting bracket you'll have lots of fun fiddling with the tiny screws supplied to fit the light itself. I gave up and replaced them.

2. The light is not so bright; it's OK for lighting up an enclosed/smaller and dark spot but not as a replacement for a flood light.

3. Worst of all, the LEDs are now failing after about 6 weeks of use, on both units I bought. This is not due to rain either, cos we haven't had any!

Having said that, they hold their charge pretty well, and the ability to stick them up a tree without running wires is a big advantage.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Product impressive performance, 5 Feb. 2010
J. Hyde (Benenden, UK) - See all my reviews
I bought this to replace a dud light at the bottom of my drive, which needed new cable and I didn't want the hassle & expense also been a bit of a tree hugger I wanted to try out solar. This product is really good, installation is really easy and only takes a few mins, it gives a good bright light and charges up well even on dull days. A number of my neighbours have been impressed and will buy them too

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Product, 22 Jan. 2014
Long version
I bought this product to add security to my off road parking. I live near a secondary school and my car has had mischief done to it a few times, nothing serious just kids being silly. So i bought this light needing solar power as I have no way of getting power to the parking spot. In the first week this light already detered a young lad from setting off the alarm, the look on his face was priceless when the light lit him up (i got a security camera as well). The light comes with some tuning options which work well but require some trial and error. The sensitvity and range of the detector is great, it works 20 meters for me.

Just a little niggle, the swivel on the solar panel is not perfect you can only make it go 45deg from the axis, if you dont have a south facing vertical wall you will have to mount the bracket horizontally (on top of a wall/roof), you cannot for instance face the panel south while mounted on a east facing wall.

Short Version
Good light, works perfectly, bright enough, and charges perfectly even on dull days (south facing mounted). Delivery was fine as well.

4.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for those tricky areas, 8 April 2010
A. France (UK) - See all my reviews
I needed a light at the top of our garden to see how the badgers have been getting in! As there's no access to power I opted for the PowerBee, after reading the reviews. I have to say i'm very impressed with the light this can give out, ok so LEDs are a long way off from your halogen lamps, but this more than exceeds what i was hoping for. The only thing stopping me giving it 5 stars is the installation. Ridiculously tiny nut and bolt fixings means you need hands of a child to comfortably fit this. Not what you need when you're stuck up a ladder.
None the less once fitted it worked perfectly, now i can see where those pesky badgers are coming from!!
PowerBee if you're reading this, maybe think about fixing the nut to the frame of the light, would make fitting so much easier. To anyone else, i would super glue the nut in place, as i dropped one of the nuts and it was almost lost forever in the grass.

5.0 out of 5 stars fantastic!, 25 Oct. 2008
this is a solar security light that really has some power and style as well, we were very impressed with the quality of the unit, it is very bright and works well, easy to install and looks stylish

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good security light with no need for electricity!, 1 Mar. 2010
We have installed the light 5 metres up where we have no electric point, above large barn doors outside our indoor riding arena . It gives an excellent light, far brighter than another, smaller solar light we have, and the sensor and timer work really well much to the relief of our customers (liveries) who can now see where they're going. I am now looking at our other expensive to run security lights and am about to buy more from PowerBee so that everyone can see at night as they move from one place to another without it costing us a fortune. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Exceptional brightness. This IS the solar, sensor light to buy., 1 May 2010
Having ummed and aahhed for months over which solar, sensor light to buy and having read countless reviews, I plumped for the PowerBee Sentinel High Power Solar Security light. This was an excellent choice. It arrived quickly and well packaged, with all bits intact. It was easy to put up and get started. The unit is well designed and manufactured and does not feel cheap or tacky. I have to say it is the brightest solar light I have ever seen and I cannot recommend this product highly enough. I will definitely be ordering at least another one. I had been put off other solar lights as they have been just a glow rather than a light. Not so with the PowerBee light, this gives a good strong beam. There is no need to search around for any other, buy this!

5.0 out of 5 stars brilliant light, 15 Feb. 2010
We're in the middle of another dull winter but this brilliant gizmo still gathers up enough sunlight in the day for us navigate our porch area at night. The panel is reassuringly large, the build-quality is robust, easy to install, the settings are easily adjustable and the light is a pleasantly blueish and bright. It's not the glaring light of mains security lights - but plenty enough light to make a 50m2 area usable. In winter I keep the timer to the shortest setting; in summer it could be turned up. Highly recommended.