5.0 out of 5 stars Deliciously seductive tango for the new century
The similarity with the Gotan project is well documented - use of instruments and voice are at times eerily similar - but unlike the savvy French influence, the artists represented on this album (8 are listed across the 16 tracks) are Argentinian and steeped in the tradition of tango. The cool and contemporary feel of this album is achieved with subtle dance beats and...
Published on 8 Sep 2004 by Andy Millward

3.0 out of 5 stars More Club Dance than Tango
I was quite disappointed with this album as it was more Club Dance music than real Tango. Most tracks start with traditional Tango instruments, but about 10 seconds in, the club beat takes over. I only like about 3 of the tracks where the beat is not quite as hard and the Tango sound is more obvious. I definitely prefer La Revancha del Tango by Gotan Project, as the...
Published on 9 May 2005

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 8 Oct 2009
This review is from: Bajofondo Tango Club (Audio CD)
For some strange reason, I really didn't like this CD the first couple of times I played it. As several other reviewers have noted, its difficult NOT to compare it initially with the GOTAN project and, of course, there are lots of similarities. But, over time, this Bajofondo album has really grown on me. There is a whole spectrum of chill out, electronica and dance grooves here underpinned by the haunting "tango" sounds of the violin and accordion. Sure, its not your authentic tango (not sure I'd know what this is anyway) or for the purists, but as a fusion, an example of great musical imagination, this is utterly, incredibly brilliant !! Nothing else to say. Buy it, listen to it, love it!

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad, but not quite what I expected., 6 Jun 2009
This review is from: Bajofondo Tango Club (Audio CD)
Although an amateur I enjoy dancing tango and I'm always looking for more music. When I listened to this album for the first time I was quite disappointed. Usually at first listening one or two tracks stand out as being something special, but with Tango club I didn't feel this was the case. Upon listening to it a few more times I have found some favourites within the album but they have grown on me rather than blasted my socks off! I also found that many of the tracks have a strong disco type beat which is not great if you want to dance Argentine tango to it as the flow of the dance is supposed to be in response to the rhythm of the music. It's not impossible to dance to that's for sure, but it's not the best. The reason I bought this album was because I had heard some of Bajofondo's later stuff and thought it was great - particularly Infiltrado and Pa'bailar. I expected this album to have some similar standard tracks in it, but unfortunately I don't feel it has.

However, I do enjoy the album, I don't have many albums that I think are completely outstanding, so I don't want to appear to harsh. As a group I like their style and I am a great fan of this electro-tango music which brings a new twist to dancing Argentine tango. It's likely that I will buy their later music and give them another go.

3.0 out of 5 stars First taste., 16 July 2014
This review is from: Bajofondo Tango Club (Audio CD)
First taste of a totally tango album. I must admit I was a bit disappointed. But not sure if it's just me expecting it all to sound like music I could dance to with Richard Gere!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Terrific, 4 July 2005
This review is from: Bajofondo Tango Club (Audio CD)
Yes it's easy to compare this with Gotan, but it's not Gotan so you can't really mark it down BECAUSE it's not Gotan. This is something similar, but very different, much faster, more club-scene and food for a different part of the music-lover's mind. I adore Gotan Project and their CDs spend a lot of time spinning in my player, but Bajofondo gets a ton of play too very much because it's similar but different.
So I think my advice is buy this if you like Gotan and want something similar but different...

1.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't take two to tango with this, 31 Jan 2006
This review is from: Bajofondo Tango Club (Audio CD)
Sadly, this album does little for tango and less for music but makes you appreciate the talented tango that is available - elsewhere. It seems very studio driven, some awful drum machine plonking away on many tracks, and sadly missing the energised feeling of talent and creativity associated with this music. Seems pompous and lacks any feel of excitement. Synthesisers and computers are no match for the real thing.

Bajofondo Tango Club