Format: MP3 Download|Change
Price:£6.99

I am eternally grateful to Alley McBeal for introducing the incredible music of Barry White to me. The name has always been familiar to me, but I’m not quite old enough to have been properly exposed to the man’s music. After watching my favorite character John Cage psych himself up with Barry White music each week on television, I knew I had to have a Barry White CD, and it had to feature You’re the First, the Last, My Everything. This All-Time Greatest Hits album, packing twenty hits from 1973-1979 onto one disc, pretty much sells itself. I know there are lengthier collections available now, but this remains the best one-CD ensemble of Barry White staples you will find. I do believe that several of these tracks are somewhat edited from the longer versions featured on the original albums, but I don’t have a problem with this. I wanted an authoritative introduction to the man’s music, and that is exactly what this album delivers. The original, full-length versions of his songs are all out there waiting for me to get around to buying all of his albums.
I really don’t even know where to begin in terms of discussing these 20 tracks; every song on here is incredible. In the liner notes, you can see where each song peaked on the R&B and/or pop charts as well as find out the original album each song was taken from. The songs I am particularly enamored with are I’m Gonna Love You Just a Little More, Baby; Can’t Get Enough of Your Love, Babe; You’re the First, the Last, My Everything; Let the Music Play; You See the Trouble With Me; and Your Sweetness Is My Weakness. I might point out that two of these tracks are instrumentals: Love’s Theme (which is instantly recognizable) and Satin Soul. On each and every track, Barry is just laying down that soul groove in his incredibly cool, untouchable way. Obviously, that deep, silky voice is famous for its romantic powers, but, speaking as someone with no one at this time to create the appropriate mood for, this music is also well suited for helping you mellow out and relax after a long day. When you need a little confidence boost, follow the example of Alley McBeal’s John Cage; Barry White is the man. You don’t listen to Barry White music; you experience it.
on 1 May 2006
Like the previous reviewer I, too, grew to be a Barry White fan from enjoying the wonderful Ally McBeal - although I had heard his songs many times before but didn't get to truly engage with them until they were showcased on said programme (am I a marketeer's dream?).

Nope, I'm not a sad old romantic (far from it), proving that there is more to Barry White than a sex soundtrack. These are well-written songs that just scream to be sung and danced to. You may not recognise the titles straight away, but you're bound to recognise the songs, they're all classics. This particular compilation should whet your appetite for a more thorough exploration of Mr White's discography. Laid back, catchy and, yes, like John Cage on Ally McBeal, THEY MAKE YOU FEEL GOOD! Is that a decent enough reason to buy this Barry White compilation? I think so...
VINE VOICEon 14 January 2008
Unlike the other reviewers I AM old enough to remember Barry White the first time around though I too enjoyed Ally McBeal.

BW first got into music as a musician & later as a talent spotter for record companies & then moving into the production side.

His first big hit was Love Unlimited's "Walking In The Rain" which featured BW speaking on the telephone to his girl friend.

Right from this early track (which charted in both the UK & the USA in the early 70s) the BW 'sound' could be heard: romantic strings, slushy vocals over a strong rhythm.

This album doesn't stray from the sound at all, all the tracks feature the same kind of voice (bar the 2 instrumentals), similar sounding songs & very similar arrangements.

Highlights for me (as a fan of this music) include "Can't Get Enough Of Your Love Babe" which has a very infectious beat as does "You're The First" which is a bit more up-tempo and the lively "What Am I Gonna Do With You".

Other really good tunes include "Let The Music Play" and "I'll Do For You Anything You Want", which again are more up-tempo with a catchy chorus.

Perhaps the most distinctive song on the album is "You See The Trouble With Me", which shows BW injecting a little more obvious 'disco' into his standard sound.

Although very much 'of his time' BW was never held in very high esteem by 'soul' fans who though his music too MOR but now - 30+ years on - they sound fresh & so much more 'real' than today's bland R'n'B.

Put simply, BW could sing!

Like one BW song & you will almost certainly like them all - trouble is if you don't like them all chances are you won't like any!

Easy decision then as to whether to buy this album or not - either 20 tracks of sheer bliss or sheer hell!

(I own the album)
on 9 April 2015
To be honest I didn't look at the titles list before I purchased. I just assumed it would have contained all his big hits ... which it doesn't. So I can't be too disappointed if it wasn't what I really hoped for! Not following Mr White's music as such, I'd not heard of most of the 20 tracks.

Between you and I, I've been a 'closet' admirer of B W for years, even though I'm in no way a fan! As a player of rock and blues for 45 years I'm supposed to shun this style of music. ;-) Buy I do very much like it (along with most dance and disco stuff from the 70s). Part of the reason for purchase was to 'jam' along to so, in that sense, it achieves the reason for buying. I'm unlikely simply to listen to it, though, silly tho that may sound, because most tracks are unknown to me. Clearly this is a personal stance and it in no way reflects on the quality of the CD.
on 23 July 2009
Believe it or not, I wasn't able to find all these songs in one CD. Now that I've found them, I keep on listening them all the time.

Personally, I can't distinguish any one of them, just because the're all great.

I just remind to anyone who reads my review that many of these tracks have been used as music cover in films, tv commercials, documentaries etc.

Definitely a must buy, not just for the artist himself, but also for the music style he served for many years with great success.
on 1 August 2010
wonderful compilation of barrys greatest music, for me each song is personal, a step back into a happy time in my life, so im gonna be bious. a truly great artist, and for you younger ones not so familiar with the great man, then highly recommended, if your in love, fantastic tracks to set the pace and keep young love alive, enjoy.
on 3 January 2012
Bought this for christmas for my partner and she loves it. Got all her favourite tracks on it and more. It's in the CD player in the car now, so I thought it might drive me up the wall, but even I'm warming to it!!! Good stuff from the 'walrus of lurve'.
on 1 January 2014
So many tracks on this album that I recalled once I started listening to it. Great to do the ironing to and sing along! My 8 year old daughter also loves it - have downloaded to her MP3 player. She clearly has the same good taste in music.
on 24 July 2014
have just got this album and i think i am going to wear it out because i just cant stop playing it why o why do we lose such great singers i can not sing along with out crying should be 100 stars not just 5.
on 22 February 2010
I ordered this CD for a friend, but could not resist playing it before sending it on. I found it very easy listening and hope to buy some more of his CDs in the future.