5.0 out of 5 stars Classic hard rock, 27 Feb 2002
By A Customer
This review is from: Triumph & Agony (Audio CD)
I remember listening to this when I was about 13 and I can still recall every single tune on the album. It is so catchy as to be an instant classic, albeit in a very overlooked (and almost dead, alas) genre. Doro has a power and majesty to her voice, like an armoured Valkyrie on a battle charge yet can slip into ballad territory with great ease. There are anthems aplenty with the opener and eternal classic, All We Are through to Metal Tango and When East Meets West. The slower tunes are always melodic and incredibly heartfelt and honest without a shred of pretense, however a hefty slice of cheese is quite subtly laid over the whole proceedings.
Best tracks are, I Rule the Ruins, Make Time For LOve, All We Are, Kiss of Death and the last one (it's in German and I'm afraid I can't remember the title). But when every track is this good there are no favourites.
I have not heard any other Warlock albums and, quite frankly, I don't want to. For me this is a blast from the past that can never be beat. I haven't listened to this album for over 10 years now but, as I said before, I can still hear the tracks as if I had just heard them before setting off to work. If that isn't an accolade to it's overall staying power and expertise, I don't know what is.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Diamond in the Rough as far as 80's metal is concerned, 10 July 2009
This review is from: Triumph & Agony (Audio CD)
Now we all know that doro and warlock did indeed expierence a period of commercial success following this release, but what surprises me is that this cd is not more fondly remembered in 80's metal circles.

'all we are' is a very well known 80's metal track, but there are so many more here, 'i rule the ruins', 'metal tango' etc etc etc..... the album oozes quality, the guitar riffs, the solos and especially the vocal lines are all great.... doro's voice is also at its gritty best here

it truely amazes me that with a woman as beautiful as dorothy pesch and music this pounding that they didnt rule the world for a brief period....

ah well, none the less, us fans of 80's metal still have this gem to enjoy!

Great CD!

85/100

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Metalness from the Metal Queen, 10 Jan 2012
This review is from: Triumph & Agony (Audio CD)
Whatever you think about female lead singers in Rock and Metal, Doro kicks some some serious backside. Her first band Warlock are a great German Heavy Metal band with Triumph & Agony being brilliant. Touch of Evil is a real stand out song, and really a proper Metal album that I would recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars DORO A QUEEN OF METAL !!, 10 Jun 2003
This review is from: Triumph & Agony (Audio CD)
Triumph & Agony has to be one of the best Doro/warlock album. going back to the early day's, such as " burning the witches " " Earth shaker rock "ect.. Which are brilliant also, but this album does stand out with songs such as " all we are, i rule the ruins,east meets west and metal tango". Doro as other female heavy metal artists could have been bigger in the uk, such as lita ford & the great kat, why i don't know. If your are a warlock fan and have not got this album then WHY NOT! This is a must for all warlock fans!!!!!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the greatest female rock singers in history, a must !, 11 Dec 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: Triumph & Agony (Audio CD)
One of the greatest female rock singers in history, a must ! Triumph and agony is one of the best rock albums ever to grace the european shores. All we are, is a lively rock anthem that gets everyone singing and rocking along. Fuer Immer gets even my goosepimples going, its a haunting ballad that sticks in your mind. Anither excellent track is Metal Tango, literally a heavy metal song done to a tango beat. The whole album is possibly Warlock's finest hour!

5.0 out of 5 stars Warlock Triumph and Agony I finally got it, 10 Dec 2013
This review is from: Triumph And Agony (Audio CD)
I gave this album five star well that is it deserves or even more stars what I like about the album is seer power of Doro Pesch vocals that make her one of rock great and underrated star she can be right be called the queen of metal the song I love the most is Kiss of Death and the audience I would say would like this would fans of heavy metal and rock and you in for a treat with this one

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic with the queen, 16 Jan 2013
This review is from: Triumph & Agony (Audio CD)
Great album, Doro have a great voice for a female heavy matal vocalist. Usually, i prefer this kind of vocals more than gothic or symphonic vocals.
The album is great and contains first the beauty art that makes you want to eat the jewel case or the vinyl case, and second the great track like:
'Touch of Evil' specially, 'East Meets West', 'Kiss of Death' and more.
Highly recommended for any heavy metal fan, true classic record. Enjoy!

5.0 out of 5 stars Boy can she wail, 16 May 2011
This review is from: Triumph & Agony (Audio CD)
As another review has said, I too remember this album from when I was 13. I've not heard it for more years than I care to admit, but equally I remember every track (and every lyric word perfect too), and so in a spate of nostalgia I purchased all the CDs that were no longer in my possession.
Doro Pesch ROCKS.
In the world of rock dominated by male vocalists, Doro can hold her own. The strength and breadth of her vocal talent is extraordinary. Every track on this CD is worth listening to time and time again, and Fur Immer will have you accidentally being able to sing in German!
Why oh why did I leave it so long? If you're looking for a stonkingly good listen, buy this without hesitation, and if you too remember it from many years ago, you are not mistaken, it was, and still is, excellent.

4.0 out of 5 stars Classic 80's metal, 28 Sep 2010
This review is from: Triumph & Agony (Audio CD)
I struggle to think of more than 10 80's German metal bands of any standing, but those I can think of, such as The Scorpions, Accept and Kingdom Come are all superb. Also on the list of 10 is Warlock. Now, racking my brain, I struggle to add many female metal artists of any real longevity, so to find a German female metaller who has stood the test of time is practically impossible. The reason why Doro has survived is probably two fold. The main reason has to be the strength of her voice. The second reason is, well, fairly obvious if you look at the cover of the cd...

The pinnacle album, as far as I am aware, is probably Triumph and Agony. The reason why it is so good is that it has massive balls, which is kind of ironic. The real strength here lies in Doro's amazing delivery, which, like Halford, can hit notes that only dogs can hear but can drop to a deep huskiness in the blink of an eye. The Germanic tones coupled with a strident delivery gives songs like 'All We Are' a power that belies her small frame. But this isn't just about the huge voice, as the songs are underpinned by a panzer division in the drum, bass and guitar sections. Big riffs, big drums and a grinding bass all match the power of the vocals, all of which give the album its upper cut punch.

Highlights are probably the slow burning and impassioned 'Fur Immer', which adds shade to the albums metallic onslaught, the aforementioned 'All We Are' and 'I Rule The Ruins'.

This is not going to win awards for breaking new musical ground but as a classic sounding, melodic, eighties bruiser there is little that can touch it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Classic metal from the 80's, 29 Jan 2013
D. L. Wilkinson "Dean" (London,UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Triumph & Agony (Audio CD)
One thing with this album I find is I don't know whether to keep it in my 'proper metal' or the hair metal division of my cd collection.It has that crossover element,heavy but kinda glam,the sturm und drang of metal but also the polish of mtv.It's quite a good place to be in all honesty,anthemic and distinctive.Doro is pretty cool.

Triumph And Agony