5.0 out of 5 stars Great album, every Watson fan was ready for this.
Named after the 1965 hit of the same name by American soul band The Impressions, this release, his seventh studio album in as many years, is a marked change in musical style by Russell Watson.

Published on 8 Dec 2008 by Mart

3.0 out of 5 stars Didn't like this CD as much as other ones by Russell ...
Didn't like this CD as much as other ones by Russell Watson - depends what sort of songs you prefer as Russell has done a few of more popular/musical type songs and I prefer more of the classical mix. No issues at all with delivery or seller - so would recommend
Published 5 months ago by mareus

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Great album, every Watson fan was ready for this., 8 Dec 2008
Mart (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
This review is from: People Get Ready (Audio CD)

So, it's goodbye to the opera arias and classical crossover hits, to be replaced by a collection of soul and easy listening numbers giving him a chance to reveal a different facet of his singing style. This new direction I'm sure doesn't signal the end of performances like Nessun dorma, but is more a result of his recognition that the crossover market has become gradually saturated with new artists in recent years and perhaps starting to wane in terms of album sales.

This album comes at the end of another eventful year in the singers life. Following the operation to remove a second brain tumour came the radiotherapy treatment at the start of 2008, then the physiotherapy to recover from the exhausting effects of that treatment then, incredibly, in June of this year he embarked on a tour of the UK to mark his comeback. The same month saw the release of his autobiography `Finding My Voice', then TV appearances were in abundance, including his judging role on BBC TV's `Last Choir Standing', then his comeback was firmly endorsed when his fans voted him `Nation's Favourite Male Singer' in a poll by Classic FM and Radio Times.

The opening tracks `Me and Mrs Jones' and `If You Don't Know Me By Now' typify the theme of the album and for me, and I imagine many of Russell's long-time fans, reinforce his sheer vocal versatility and admirable desire to return to his roots, for these were the type of songs he was singing in his club days before the Old Trafford Nessun dorma event finally launched him into orbit with the superstars.

`Soul Man' and `In The Midnight Hour' are surely concert certainties, while `Try a Little Tenderness' and `Louisiana 1927' are lovely emotional ballads.

My favourite though is the slow, bluesy version of the classic `House of the Rising Sun' which at 8 minutes long and sung in a beautifuly sultry style with Gospel choir backing is in lovely contrast to the popular 1964 Animals version and a credit to producer and arranger Nick Patrick.

Maybe the best Russell Watson album so far.

5.0 out of 5 stars Totally different, but still fabulous!!, 7 Dec 2008
B. Bone "Bookworm!" (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: People Get Ready (Audio CD)
OK, as a Russell fan, when I first saw the track list for this album I wasn't too impressed. Not a hint of classical music anywhere.

But I've had my copy 4 weeks now, and it's never out of the cd player!

I have my favourite tracks, but you'll find that the musical arrangements are stunning, the sax and bass supberb and most of the album was recorded the 'old fashioned' way, i.e Russell sang with the band/orchestra, not to a backing track. And it shows, IMO that is what makes this album so special. It really sounds as if he's singing live and just for you!!

Me & Mrs Jones - I've always liked this song and Russell doesn't disappoint. Smooth as silk, sexy and rich.

If You Don't know me by Now - The emotion in this song makes me cry, it's so sad. It's all about trust you see.

Papa Was a Rolling Stone - You just have to dance to this one, I defy you to keep your feet still!

Georgia - Beautiful. What more can I say?

New Your State of Mind - Beautiful version, Russell's voice soars.

Louisianna 1927 - This song is based on the floods of 1927 that devisated Louisianna.

House of the Rising Sun - If, like me, you grew up to the Eric Burden and the Animals version, you will be stunned by this version. It is over 8 minutes long and IMO the outstanding track on the album. I don't know how Russell got his voice down soooo low, but this is so emotional, it sends shivers down my spine and makes the hairs on the back of your neck stand up. Love it or hate it, amongst his fans it's been christened 'The Marmite Song'!!!!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars People Get Ready, 15 Nov 2008
B. Bone "Bookworm!" (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: People Get Ready (Audio CD)
My copy of this album was pre-ordered and arrived today (Sat 15th Nov).

The orchestrations on this album are amazing (The Amy Winehouse Band amonst others) and hat's off to the sax players. Russell really shows that he can tackle any type of song, from the upbeat Papa was a rolling stone (I defy you not to get up and dance!) to House of the Rising Sun, which at 8 minutes, is my favourite track. It's stunning, I never realised just how low Russell could sing, WOW.

Add to this the fact that you can hear in his voice that he's really enjoying what he's singing and you have a superb album that proves that he can not only sing operatic arias, but can get on down and rock!

If you'd like to hear previews, go to his website and listen: [...]

5.0 out of 5 stars A Truly Versatile Vocal Talent, 7 Feb 2009
This review is from: People Get Ready (Audio CD)
Russell surely has to be regarded as one of the most versatile singers on the planet. He can carry off any genre. He can take a song that many would say shouldn't be touched like, "I can't stop loving you" and make it his own. It's great to hear a version of "Me and Mrs Jones" that has emotion in the singing, rather than the normal smooth forgettable cover that you tend to hear now. His rendition of "People Get Ready" stands up really well against the original. I've never liked, "If you don't know me by now", but I love his version. You can argue that some of the songs aren't as good as the originals, or that there are better covers available of an isolated song, but I think that you'd be hard pushed to find a better cover album released in 2008. The quality is consistently high and more importantly enjoyable throughout the entire album. If you haven't heard the originals or other versions of the songs, go check them out and then thank Mr Watson for the introduction. I for one hope his health keeps up and he has a very long recording future ahead of him.

5.0 out of 5 stars WOW...not just an opera singer!!!, 28 Nov 2008
Sarah Johnson (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: People Get Ready (Audio CD)
I bought this album today and its the best album I have heard in a very long time.

Russell Watson always comes across as such a lovely man and has had the most traumatic time of late but oh my god his voice is just amazing and I couldn't think of a better way to celebrate what he has overcome.

I had always associated Russell with opera and it was only after seeing him on a couple of tv appearances singing some of the songs from this album that I had this tingling sensation and thought I needed to hear more....I am so glad I did.

The songs are great and his voice is breathtaking. You will really want to get up and join in and sing along with him to songs such as 'Heaven help us all' and Try a little tenderness' but at the same time sit back and just listen to this very talented man.

I hope you all enjoy it as much as I did

5.0 out of 5 stars #1 Mr Versatility, 21 Nov 2008
Diane May (Bunbury, West Australia) - See all my reviews
People Get Ready
This album proves that Russell has such versatility in his voice and it matches his choice of songs.......if you like a great voice, you'll love this!!!!!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Redefining the phrase "cross-over artist" - sensational, 31 Jan 2009
Kieran Moynihan (Cork, Ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: People Get Ready (Audio CD)
This is simply sensational and has re-defined the phrase cross-over artist. How a classical artist could produce a truly masterful soul album such as this is amazing. From the exquisite "Mrs Jones" to the best best version of "New York state of mind" since Billy Joel to for me the biggest surprise of all, the outstanding "The house of the rising sun", this album is a gem. "Louisiana" is a very moving song which I hadn't heard before and is a very thought-provoking song reflecting on the flooding tragedy in New Orleans.

After this Russell could hold his own with the the legendary soul artists !!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent!, 7 Jan 2009
This review is from: People Get Ready (Audio CD)
I am not a great fan of Russell Watson's operatic work, but having purchased the That's Life album & liked it; I purchased "People Get Ready", without hesitation.

This is simply a great album. "The Voice" handles all the repetoire with great ease, being very accurate stylistically. I thought nobody could cover Billy Joel's "New York State of Mind"...I was wrong.

This album has a nice mellow feel to it. Making it a CD you want to listen to, again & again & again. Definately worth 5 stars!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Love every minute, 8 Dec 2008
This review is from: People Get Ready (Audio CD)
I decided to buy this record as soon as I saw the track listing as I love all the songs Russell has chosen. I've not been disappointed, in fact it's better than I expected and I've been playing it over and over. If I had to choose a favourite I think it would be "Georgia" but it's hard to choose as I love every track. The orchestration is superb and this record shows just how versatile Russell is. Like 'Bookworm' I thought 'House of the Rising Sun' was brilliant - I never realised he could reach those low, low notes. Fantastic - I love this record.

5.0 out of 5 stars People Get This Album, 19 Nov 2008
J. Horrod (Leroy Jethro Gibbs) - See all my reviews
This review is from: People Get Ready (Audio CD)
Mr Watson is a singer, pure and simple. There is nothing this man cannot sing. I would recommend him singing a shopping list, he's so good here.
A classic set of songs with a new and refreshing take on soul as never before heard. People Get Ready gives us another delightful collection of classics with a voice that cannot be matched and phrasing that only Russell can do with such clarity.
Thanks Russell, I recommend this to every music fan.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›