4.0 out of 5 stars Why was this film overlooked?
I have read a lot of negative reviews of this film and came to it not expecting a lot. I am now clueless as to why it didn't receive greater acclaim and a wider release. I loved it. It is a fabulously inventive film with superb performances. The film works on so many levels. What's not to like? I love costume dramas, particularly when a director takes the genre and...
Published on 26 April 2009 by SazzaBlackIsland

3.0 out of 5 stars I love it - I hate it! The story of a Victorian Barbie girl
I hate it. I love it. I can't make up my mind about "Angel" - the movie of the passionate, naive, obnoxious, ambitious egoiste Angel, who lives with her mother above a grocery and writes romantic novels. She has always dreamed of living at Paradise house and after she is published to buys the house - and everything that goes with an eccentric life style...
Published on 27 July 2010 by Louise Amkaer

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

1.0 out of 5 stars What a load of tosh!, 20 Jan 2010
Ms. S. N. Wooldridge (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Angel [DVD] (DVD)
I feel totally robbed of my money for buying it and of the 2 and a bit hours i just lost watching it. How horrific! I've not seen such ham acting and unrelenting drivel in a long time. I'm positively embarasssed for Charlotte Rampling. Very disappointing.

2.0 out of 5 stars Sumptuous Flop, 6 Oct 2009
C. S. Megan "caromegan" (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Angel [DVD] (DVD)
I bought this film as I like Romola Garai and she was excellent in Daniel Doronda and also Mary Bryant, but this film was such a disappointment. The story was initally a good idea but the overacting for the Angel role just got embarassing and was truly cringeworthy. It was the sort of film that one hoped that someone would give the heroine her come uppance as she was truly dreadful.

I was surprised that an actor of Sam Neill's calibre lent his name to this film. He must of needed the mortgage payment that year! The special effects were a bit naff too. Especially when Angel was on honeymoon and had backdrops of countries she visited ie Rome, Paris etc. It all seemed to be shots from the Green Card where the photos were composed specially to appear as though they had been abroad!

A very sumptuous film with gorgeous sets and costumes but the plot and acting doesn't recommend it to be worth buying!

3.0 out of 5 stars good old fashioned romance, 29 Mar 2008
does anyone know when amazon will release the above movie on dvd.... and not from sellers as would prefer to buy direct from amazon hope someone can help with the amazon release date of the movie 'the real life angel deverell on dvd? thanku lucy

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›
ARRAY(0xabc9524c)

Angel [DVD]
Angel [DVD] by Francois Ozon (DVD - 2009)
4.75