5.0 out of 5 stars My favourite Lloyd Cole album ever
Published on 3 Mar 2003

2.0 out of 5 stars Very disappointing
Do not compare this Cd with "Rattklesnakes" (absolute masterpiece), maybe he should have
gone backwards beginning with this disappointing album and ending with that masterpiece.
Published on 15 July 2011 by Lucazest

5.0 out of 5 stars My favourite Lloyd Cole album ever, 3 Mar 2003
By A Customer
This was the 4th Lloyd Cole album I bought - on tape way back then - took it away on my walkman on holiday and needed to buy a new copy on my return as I had completely worn it out. There is not a bad track on this album - it's a different sound to 'My bag' or 'Charlotte Street' but it is *so* beautiful, calming, inspiring and joyful that it still has to travel in the car everywhere with me (now on CD). My favourite track is Butterfly but every song and sweeping string makes my heart soar.
Buy this album, it is impossible to regret it.

5.0 out of 5 stars I never tire of this record, 13 Nov 2003
By A Customer
I've listened to this record for many many years and I never tire of it.
It's a lush, string-reinforced production of some superb hooks that would work equally well with just a guitar. Lloyd Cole himself, on his website, describes 'Half of Everything' as one of the most ridiculous lyrics ever written, but I disagree - it's great. Poetic but endearingly tongue in cheek, so lacking the pretentiousness of some earlier Lloyd-isms.
Great value - must be approx 0.001p per play for me.

5.0 out of 5 stars His Best Piece of Work including the Commotions Releases, 20 Feb 2004
By A Customer
I have been playing this LP constantly since the mid 90s. It's songs, arrangements and orchestrations are masterful.
Buy it for 'Butterfly' and 'Margoes Waltz' alone. I have bought most of his work since this LP and found many enjoyable moments, but nothing gets close to DGWOM for completeness.
Red wine late night. Perfect.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not his best but still excellent!, 19 Aug 2005
G. Donaldson (Glasgow, Scotland) - See all my reviews
Upon release I was just a little disappointed on this album as it didn't match the heights of his debut self-titled solo album from 1990.
However, the album has stood the test of time well and there remains much to enjoy for committed fans and more casual listeners alike.
The concept was to record one side (of a vinyl record) with orchestral backing, and the other of more pop-rock based arrangements. Some reviewers of the day felt the orchestral arrangemnts were overwrought of lended a tweeness to Cole's songs but fans for the most part were very impressed.
The opening track Butterfly always gets a lot of attention although I feel it's a little over-rated (the gorgeous Weeping Wine and Half of Everything were the tracks that caught my ear particularly from the first listen and still remain my favourites nearly 15 years later).
Of the orchestral songs (first 6 tracks) only Margo's Waltz doesn't quite hold the attention but the others are all of high quality, with the stunning Half of Everything being the centrepiece.
The "second side" seems rather more ordinary by comparison with the highlights Weeping Wine and She's a Girl And I'm a Man (both singles) sitting along side rather more mundane (by Lloyd's standards) Tell Your Sister, To the Lions and Pay for It, along with the more memorable The One You Never Had.
It is not easy to rank Lloyd Cole albums as he keeps such a consistently high standard. New converts should certainly buy this but might want to check out the Commotions albums and all the other solo sets - bar Bad Vibes - first.

5.0 out of 5 stars Takes me back, 16 Mar 2014
Teenager again and this is awesome played this so much when I was young he still has it go lloyd

4.0 out of 5 stars Brave and (often) brilliant, 5 Nov 2013
Jonathan Healy "Dr Jon" (Dublin, Ireland) - See all my reviews
Lloyd Cole's second solo LP, "Don't Get Weird On Me, Babe" is a brave and bold half-move away from the jingle-jangle indie guitar rock of his Commotions work and debut solo album into a lusher, orchestral domain. I say "half-move" as one half of the record retains the trademark Cole sound (the second half in Europe and the first in the US market) - and with tracks like Tell Your Sister, She's A Girl And I'm A Man and Pay For It, it really is a good thing these weren't consigned to the dustbin to make way for a full orchestral album. These songs not only lend the album a commercial, radio-friendly edge, but they are among the most hard-edged tracks of Lloyd's career and are an interesting contrast to the down-tempo, lusher moments on the record. Of the latter, Butterfly is the stand-out track: a tale of a subversive, destructive relationship wrapped in the most gorgeous melody and orchestral arrangement. This stands the test of time well, far better than other tracks such as Half Of Everything which wanders too much into MOR lounge. Cole's trademark lyrical wit and intelligence is in plentiful supply, and as is often the case you find yourself laughing at the darkly humorous lyrics. Overall, this is a very courageous second solo album and demonstrates a versatility to Cole's sound. Like a good wine, this LP (on the whole) gets better with age.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent!, 3 Mar 2013
Am gradually acquiring the LC albums that I missed out on for one reason or another. I suppose it's really a 9 out of 10 but as I have to choose between 4 and 5 stars I go for 5. I loved the orhestrated tracks on Side 1 (all written by Cole and Cowan) and Side 2 is good solid LC. If you want to choose an LC album from the 90's this would be it. From the 80's it has to be "Rattlesnakes" of course, while from the 90's I choose "Music in a Foreign Language", which again has something different about it. If "Broken Record" (2010) can be considered from the 10's, then that is the obvious (only?) option so far.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfection, 20 Feb 2012
When this came out it blew me away. It has a bit of everything. What first struck me was the beautiful tunes. They expressed a sense of a Brit coming to terms with the seedier side of American culture. The album cover summed that up.
But there was also Robert Quine on guitar which was a surprise as he was playing with Lou Reed just before this album came out. He is one of the best and underrated guitarists around. He helps make the faster tracks hum.
It is still is one of my favorite albums, everyone should have it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't get weird, 5 Feb 2012
Lloyd Cole CD collection now in double figures and this is probably the best of the lot. Can't quite work out why LC has not sold more records than say the other LC (Leonard Cohen). Listen to this and you might agree with me!

2.0 out of 5 stars Very disappointing, 15 July 2011