5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning Seventies gem from one of the UK's real originals, 5 Nov 2002
This review is from: One World (Audio CD)
John Martyn has made many excellent albums in his career: I wouldn't claim complete knowledge but I find it hard to believe that he has ever improved upon this late Seventies gem. Its successor, 'Grace and Danger', has always received critical acclaim, and yet I think that this is even better.
For a start, its sound seems to be completely timeless. I've listened to it recently, and it doesn't sound at all dated: in fact it doesn't sound like anything else at all (apart from other John Martyn recordings)! Martyn's style is unique and defies description at the best of times: here he blends his signature rhythmic, repetitive, echoed guitar sounds with jazzy drumming, dubby basslines and surging, swirling keyboards, and over all that his slurred, bluesy vocals... No one else has ever sounded like that.
When I first bought this album, I thought it was the most superb late-night listening ever (I suppose now we'd call it 'chill-out') and it ended many an evening on my turntable (yes, that long ago...) played at low volume so as not to disturb the neighbours. Then one Saturday afternoon I found it still there, put it on and cranked up the volume, and it sounded even more amazing! If you have, or acquire this album, try playing it really loud - it really leaps out and grabs you. You'll enjoy chilling out to it too, but let it rock out a bit...
John Martyn is one of the UK's real originals, a national treasure. I spent a good few happy evenings in my student days, watching with awe as a scruff with a wired-up acoustic guitar filled the whole hall with spacy, echoing riffs. This album takes that sound into a whole new dimension, and it really should be regarded as an absolute classic.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Masterpiece, 9 Nov 2006
Samuel Sherlock (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: One World (Audio CD)
One World was the first John Martyn album is bought. I was actually looking for something else, which turned out to be his earlier work such as the aweseom 'London Conversation' and 'Bless the Weather'. But one World was a pleasent suprise, encorporating a few different styles to make one superb sound. his ever present guitar style is here, along with the some smooth dub sounds - for example, lee scratch perry collaborated with John on 'Big muff'.

a lot of the songs were recorded in the early hours and the mood is captured so well.

an album thats in my 'Top 20' of all time. If youre looking for a more folk, bluesy and ever so softly - jazzy, john martyn, i recomend 'Solid Air' and 'Bless the Weather'.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Classic, 5 Feb 2004
J. Tough (West Midlands United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: One World (Audio CD)
What a underrated musician John Martyn is.Recently rediscovered this album whilst browsing through my extensive selection of vinyl.Bought it on CD,and now can't stop playing it.This album epitomises what the 70's was all about,I now consider it to be his best, every track a gem,and so different musically.Great playing by the band ,especially Stevie Winwood on Small Hours which to me is the ultimate in relaxation.This album sounds as fresh now as it did when first released in 1977.I would advise any music lover to buy this CD,NOW!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Mr Martyn, 27 May 2011
This review is from: One World (Audio CD)
Young, Dylan, Buckley, Simon, ..........Martyn. Thats how good this album , and the majority of Johns back catalogue is. He is up there with the best no doubting it. H emadehis own sound a true individual. This album is mind blowing especially small hours. If your in on your own get this on you will love it. I played it on repeat 6 times the other day and everytime i couldnt help but wonder at the skill on display. A must have a true underated gem of the 1970's

5.0 out of 5 stars One World - John Martyn, 18 July 2010
This review is from: One World (MP3 Download)
Some awesome tracks with the highlight being Small Hours. A fantastic album by an interesting artist with an interesting history.

5.0 out of 5 stars Aren't we lucky!, 7 Sep 2007
This review is from: One World (Audio CD)
Aren't we lucky those of us who have discovered John Martyn? This is my favourite album of his and a perfect bridge between the more jazz folky "Solid Air" and the harrowing "Grace and Danger". All the tracks are gems including the acoustic declaration of unconditional love "Couldn't Love You More" and the catchy pop of "Certain Surpise" to the echoplex driven rhythms of "Big Muff" and "Dealer". Best of all is "Small Hours"; the ultimate 3 am track. I remember playing this album incessantly one summer and it took me a while to realise the background chattering geese sounds on this evocative final track were coming from the record and not from outside my student digs window! Oh, the nostalgia!

5.0 out of 5 stars Big John, 16 Nov 2011
This review is from: One World (Audio CD)
One world is easily one of the best albums i've ever heard. I have bought this about 6/7 times now on CD and vinyl, due to lends not coming back, etc. BUY IT!

5.0 out of 5 stars ANOTHER CLASSIC, 23 Oct 2011
J. E. Ashe (OLD COLWYN NORTH WALES) - See all my reviews
This review is from: One World (Audio CD)
Another classic from John amazing quality and diversity in the songs. Small hours is just so beautiful and haunting what a classic you would buy the album for that alone.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great album, 9 July 2010
This review is from: One World (Audio CD)
I bought this CD as a replacement for the original LP I'd bought many, many years ago. John Martyn is a real musicians musician and his influence will last long after his passing. It was a pleasure to play this to some of my younger friends and family and awaken their interest in an amazing unique individual. Enjoy!

4.0 out of 5 stars John's mellow jazz phase, 22 Oct 2002
This review is from: One World (Audio CD)
I am surprised that no-one has yet reviewed this album which includes some classic tracks. When the album came out, heavy production was in fashion and today's listeners, particularly anyone fond of the early and earthy acoustic John Martyn, may find this a bit syrupy. Having said that, Martyn's ability to produce love songs which are poignant without excessive sentimentality is evident throughout the album. One world also includes some uplifting and joyous numbers, especially "Dancing" which, believe it or not, I have actually danced to (although, I admit, I was in Colombia at the time).

One World