5.0 out of 5 stars Deliciously seductive tango for the new century
Published on 8 Sept. 2004 by Andy Millward

3.0 out of 5 stars More Club Dance than Tango
Published on 9 May 2005

5.0 out of 5 stars Deliciously seductive tango for the new century, 8 Sept. 2004
Andy Millward (Tiptree, Essex, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Bajofondo Tango Club (Audio CD)
The similarity with the Gotan project is well documented - use of instruments and voice are at times eerily similar - but unlike the savvy French influence, the artists represented on this album (8 are listed across the 16 tracks) are Argentinian and steeped in the tradition of tango. The cool and contemporary feel of this album is achieved with subtle dance beats and occasional sampling, but is highly authentic in its feel. Chill Groove may be the label, but this album frequently feels ageless.
The slinky late-night mood is set by the opening number - the stunning Montserrat by Orquestra del Plata. The use of strings and vibes made the hairs stand up on the back of my neck. While the tempo changes rapidly, each track is unique, vibrant and never less than listenable. It would be unfair to pick any out - each is worthy of attention. Thoroughly recommended.

3.0 out of 5 stars More Club Dance than Tango, 9 May 2005
By A Customer
This review is from: Bajofondo Tango Club (Audio CD)
I was quite disappointed with this album as it was more Club Dance music than real Tango. Most tracks start with traditional Tango instruments, but about 10 seconds in, the club beat takes over. I only like about 3 of the tracks where the beat is not quite as hard and the Tango sound is more obvious. I definitely prefer La Revancha del Tango by Gotan Project, as the music is more recognisable as real Tango and suitable for Tango dancing. However, some people might like the more Club Dance orientated sound and it's certainly different than most of the music you hear these days.

5.0 out of 5 stars Tango Pacha style., 2 Feb. 2007
This review is from: Bajofondo Tango Club (Audio CD)
Fans of The Gotan Project will smile, because here we have a whole swathe of artists ploughing a similar groovy furrow. Syncopated Tango rhythms rub shoulders with subtle house beats, groovy bass lines, sinewy violins and Tango piano. All produced by a broad collection of Argentinian and Uruguayan artists. There is an authenticity to these pieces which is hard to fake. Cool, groovy and rarely overstated, equally at home either after a night at Pacha, or over a leisurely meal with friends. Languid clubby South American tango-tinged grooves for hedonistic clubbers worldwide.

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunningly good, 20 July 2004
Andy Millward (Tiptree, Essex, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Bajofondo Tango Club (Audio CD)
This is a stunningly good compilation, which will appeal greatly to anyone who, like me, enjoyed the Futuro Flamenco series and other adventurous hybrid elements contained within the broad church of world genre. Paying close homage to tango rhythms, the artists here have grafted retro licks from piano, accordion, violin and voice to modern electronic beats and samples to create a cool and slinky dance music for a new Century.
It sounds fresh yet underpinned by a very traditional styles. Cool and sharp, chilled to the bone, and perfect late night party music. This won't go undiscovered for long!

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad, but not quite what I expected., 6 Jun. 2009
This review is from: Bajofondo Tango Club (Audio CD)
Although an amateur I enjoy dancing tango and I'm always looking for more music. When I listened to this album for the first time I was quite disappointed. Usually at first listening one or two tracks stand out as being something special, but with Tango club I didn't feel this was the case. Upon listening to it a few more times I have found some favourites within the album but they have grown on me rather than blasted my socks off! I also found that many of the tracks have a strong disco type beat which is not great if you want to dance Argentine tango to it as the flow of the dance is supposed to be in response to the rhythm of the music. It's not impossible to dance to that's for sure, but it's not the best. The reason I bought this album was because I had heard some of Bajofondo's later stuff and thought it was great - particularly Infiltrado and Pa'bailar. I expected this album to have some similar standard tracks in it, but unfortunately I don't feel it has.

However, I do enjoy the album, I don't have many albums that I think are completely outstanding, so I don't want to appear to harsh. As a group I like their style and I am a great fan of this electro-tango music which brings a new twist to dancing Argentine tango. It's likely that I will buy their later music and give them another go.

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than Gotan...and amazing live, 22 Aug. 2007
Friar Tuck (Sussex, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bajofondo Tango Club (Audio CD)
If you're looking for classical tango, as per previous reviewer, then look elsewhere now.
I was smitten by GotanP after hearing them on a Costes mix. However BajofondoTG are even better IMHO.
But whet really got me was when they were scheduled to play live in Brighton earlier this year. However on the night they hadn't arrived by the opening time. An hour later and still no show. Turned out they were delayed at the airport and eventually started a hour and half late.
You read lots about groups who's sound has lots of sampling, how they have a 'studio sound', and their live performace are somewhat lacking. Well I thought BTG do have that sort of sound.
How wrong I was. All the samples and drum etc.. together with visuals played behind the band, made for an amazing experience. ALL mixing/scratching was live and as for hand organ and fiddle...well lets just say they were better live than their cd...if you get the chance go and see. Best gig I've ever been too

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 8 Oct. 2009
This review is from: Bajofondo Tango Club (Audio CD)
For some strange reason, I really didn't like this CD the first couple of times I played it. As several other reviewers have noted, its difficult NOT to compare it initially with the GOTAN project and, of course, there are lots of similarities. But, over time, this Bajofondo album has really grown on me. There is a whole spectrum of chill out, electronica and dance grooves here underpinned by the haunting "tango" sounds of the violin and accordion. Sure, its not your authentic tango (not sure I'd know what this is anyway) or for the purists, but as a fusion, an example of great musical imagination, this is utterly, incredibly brilliant !! Nothing else to say. Buy it, listen to it, love it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it!, 19 Sept. 2010
This review is from: Bajofondo Tango Club (Audio CD)
Love this cd. The tracks are so relaxing but still have a great amount of bounce to them. I have now followed this one up with more in the genre because i liked it so much.

Great to have on loud in the house or car and also to have on sftly in the background.

Also try Gotan Project for similar tracks.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good tango, 27 Mar. 2013
This review is from: Bajofondo Tango Club (Audio CD)
Always looking for good music for Argentine Tango. Did some research and liked the Bajofondo Tango Club's style. Excellent album when you need a change from the more traditional tango music which is endlessly played in most milongas!

3.0 out of 5 stars First taste., 16 July 2014
This review is from: Bajofondo Tango Club (Audio CD)
First taste of a totally tango album. I must admit I was a bit disappointed. But not sure if it's just me expecting it all to sound like music I could dance to with Richard Gere!!!!