5.0 out of 5 stars A fitting tribute

Published 16 days ago by Michael Patriksson

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars A fitting tribute, 7 Dec 2001
This review is from: Temple Of The Dog (Audio CD)
This album came about as a result of the death of Mother Love Bone lead singer, Andrew Wood. He shared a house with Soundgarden singer Chris Cornell and this album is basically his tribute to Andrew. The first two songs that he wrote following Andrew's death were the albums opening tracks, "Say Hello 2 Heaven" and "Reach Down". "Say Hello.." in particular is just beautiful - a sincerely and emotionally written song that is amazingly powerful in it's content and general feel.
Later songs were written when Stone Gossard, Jeff Ament, Eddie Vedder and Mike McCready, who all went on the form Pearl Jam, were drafted in. Tracks such as Hunger Strike, Call Me A Dog and Four Walled World again strike an emotional chord, whilst songs like Reach Down and Pushin' Forward Back provide the rock. This is an excellently crafted, powerful album, which was a perfectly fitting tribute to a man who should have become a rock legend. If you love Pearl Jam, Soundgarden or Mother Love Bone you will find this album a very welcome addition to your collection. Full marks!

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best rock albums ever!!!, 20 Aug 2002
By A Customer
This review is from: Temple Of The Dog (Audio CD)
This album is probably one of my all time favourites. Chris Cornell's voice has never sounded better, if you want proof listen to the songs 'call me a dog'or 'say hello 2 heaven'. I've had this album for years and never tire of hearing it. Its one of those rare albums that are mesmerising from start to finish, without any rubbish songs in between. If you like epic rock songs with massive vocals go out and buy it, 'hunger strike' (a duet between cornell and eddie vedder) is worth the money alone.

5.0 out of 5 stars An astounding Rock performance with a capital R., 19 Nov 1999
By A Customer
This review is from: Temple Of The Dog (Audio CD)
Since I've had this cd in my collection for over 7 years, I feel obligated to share my thoughts about it with all of you. I find it one of the best rock cd's ever made. It sounds like seventies and almost smells like it to. The fantastic artwork is the first thing you must notice. The music however is the real thing. Pure rock as it should be. From the opening "Say hello to heaven" to the closing "All night thing" it's a real blast. The main attraction for me is the sound: so pure and simple ! It's almost like standing in a rehearsel room next to them! The songs are honest as they should be. Since this is a landmark in Seattle rock early 90's, you can expect some of the best songwriting around. Chris Cornell is well known as a writers talent. Listening to songs such as the epic "Reach down", one thing comes to mind: why not more recordings of Temple of the Dog ? The answer is simple : it was a project which Cris initiated after a friends death. The lead singer of Mother Love Bone (there's a name for you!) died and Chris put his emotions and thoughts to music. As pure as his reasons to record this were, as pure sounds the music. My 5 stars go directly on the board since this is MY cd of the decade (maybe even the century).

5.0 out of 5 stars The Temple of the Dogs!!, 6 Aug 2007
This review is from: Temple Of The Dog (Audio CD)
After I little browsing I thought I'd look up an album of mine here on Amazon as I'm sure many of you all do.... Well I was a little shocked to see a lot of reviews under 5 stars in fact a little nothing I was Horrified...someone here felt as though they needed some dance music after a track on this.... quite tragic really.... so I'll add mine.
Ok... first up "Say Hello 2 Heaven" written for and about the late Andrew Wood from Mother love Bone. The song displays and provides insight into the friendship and respect the members here had for Andrew... a true tribute indeed.
Second is the epic grunge dripping mouth-watering "Reach Down" again directly about our late friend and displays the full range of talent that the members here possess. The long guitar solo here is magnificent and leaves you wanting to pick up the instrument yourself (I did) we have Mike McCready to thank for it... an interesting fact about that Is during the recording McCready's headphones fell off early in the solo section and rather than stop and replace-start again he carried on and played it deaf effectively without the backing track... Genius!! How many artists today would do that?....
Third up is "Hunger Strike" you hear alot about this track... Vedder this and Cornell that I don't enter into it... it's a classic and one of the best on the record...simple... all the other crap is unimportant and frankly unnecessary!
Fourth is "Pushin Forward Back" and the first to feature written contrabutions from anybody other than Cornell, yes this includes Hunger Strike, and is a great display from all members once again with Cornell on top form as he is for each and every effort on the album. Lyrically different from the previous songs as the album progresses but the underlining theme of loss and anger stay put on this track.
Fifth is "Call Me a Dog" a real change from the previous four and provides a slower, more lyrically and vocally driven record which lets us see the diversity of the artists here... I have always wondered how related if at all this is to Wood.
Sixth up is the amazing "Times of Trouble" maybe my favourite on the record, co written by Gossard and the opening and continuous riff tell us this as it's dripping with the Gossard talent evident from his previous efforts with Green River and Mother Love Bone then later with Pearl Jam and Brad. Lyrically superb also from Cornell clearly dealing with his issues involving drugs and death.
Seventh in and we hit "Wooden Jesus" another personnal fav of mine but it wasn't really at first it really grew after awhile, it begins quite calmly with Cornell chanting along nicely and builds to spine tingle, nerve jangle, neck hair standing affair as Cornell picks it up to an powerful anger driven howl that strikes nerves for me now even after so many listens.
Eighth song is "Your Saviour" and is for me the epic of the record. Musically brilliant, Lyrically powerful... more reflections on life and death from Cornell, you can imagine Cornell writting this thinking about the loss of his friend. The end section is for me the single best section on an incredible album leaves your soul haunted on it's completion, I'm still unsure as to what Cornell is pleading at the end... very spirital for me.
Ninth and penultimate track is "Four Walled World" as hard as it is to follow up Your Saviour this track manages it with ease, the second longest of the record brings together the band again to produce a kind of howling notion about the troubles and strifes in their respentive lives, another truly great soul-searching masterpiece of musical craftsmanship.
Tenth and final effort is the fitting "All Night Thing" ends are an amazing thing on an album because it's the last thing you hear obviouly and if it's poor can give you a false view, but that ain't gonna happen here. The album ends differently from the previous nine efforts but end it does... Cause It's an All Night Thing...

Music is an amazing thing, as Andrew Wood said It's the only international language, variety is what makes music what it is and every human being has a totally different, or in some cases just a slightly different, taste to someone else.

The important this for me here is I really love this work, and If Andrew Wood was alive to hear it I'd hope he'd love it as much as I do cause it was for him, and I really hate bad comments about what is for me a work of art... even though everybody has their and is intitled to their opinion...

....Anyway... that was what I thought...

3.0 out of 5 stars But by then I had also found other music that I liked better, and I knew I preferred "Ten" and ..., 3 Sep 2014
Have had the cd since it came out - now also have the LP. But I wonder why? When I bought it in 1991 I was impressed with the emotions expressed - I did not know then why this record even came out and learned only a month or so later about the reasons. Also, I had missed the first couple of years of grunge, and so I did not really know who these people were. Heck, I was still on constant highs from English psychedelia, brought out by entirely different drogs than this type of music. A few years later I lived in Seattle, saw Spoonman, and heard all the new grunge bands in the lunch cantine at UW, and started to understand. But by then I had also found other music that I liked better, and I knew I preferred "Ten" and "Nevermind" much more than this one. Still, it is bloody competent, that's for sure, and it is a well crafted tribute.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Gem, 24 Feb 2010
This review is from: Temple Of The Dog (MP3 Download)
First heard this in 1992/3. Had this on cassette, cassette got played to death. Got it on CD, ex-girlfreind walked of with it. Loved it then, love it now.
If you like Pearl Jam, Sound Garden, Mother Love Bone etc, you'll enjoy this.
P.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is a little known gem of a rock album and a must buy!, 28 May 2009
This review is from: Temple Of The Dog (Audio CD)
Temple Of The Dog formed together for this one off album from three big grunge bands which are Pearl Jam, Sound Garden and Mother Love Bone because of a tragic death of one of the Mother Love Bone band members. Every song is a stunner but I like Say Hello 2 Heaven, Reach Down, Hunger Strike, Times Of Trouble and Wooden Jesus the most. This is a real must have album for any true rock lover out there and yes it really is that good. One last thing I must say is that Chris Cornells voice is very powerful and stunning throughout the whole album.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Guitar and Haunting Vocals, 6 Oct 2001
This review is from: Temple Of The Dog (Audio CD)
I brought this album after being a big fan f both pearl jam and soundgarden and i was not dissapointed. It has to be one of my favourite albums with brilliant guitars and vocals from the members. Highlighs ar Call me a dog and Hunger Strike but the whole album strikes a chord with no bad songs.

5.0 out of 5 stars Chris Cornell should I need to say any more, 28 Jun 2014
Great record to own, great artwork and sound a must buy for any music fan. Chris Cornell and the lads rock away to some classic music of its time

3.0 out of 5 stars 3.5 star rating actually. ., 26 May 2014
This review is from: Temple Of The Dog (MP3 Download)
Definitely one to listen to if u are a soundgarden or pearl Jam fan. Good bluesy soulful dirge rock album. Especially when in a reflective mood

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›