4.0 out of 5 stars Sample only - Atmospheric and very Japanese
From the sizeable sample that I read, I can tell this is well-written, especially from a scene-setting point of view. I've never been to Japan, but reading this I felt like a Westerner there immersed in Japanese 'strangeness'. There were dashes of humour and generally the style reminded me slightly of Kafka or Camus. The plot moved along nicely too.

On the...
Published on 29 May 2012 by Andrew Ives

3.0 out of 5 stars None
I really wanted to enjoy this read, but could not get into it. Cyberpunk is a great genre, this does fit into that sub culture but it just didnt click for me. it felt disjointed, which is harsh criticism for a cyberpunk novel. The humour is evident and funny in places, just not my thing i guess.
Published on 20 Oct 2011 by Vimes

2.0 out of 5 stars A rough diamond, or a polished turd?, 26 Oct 2013
This review is from: Tokyo Zero: A Novel (Kindle Edition)
As other reviewers have stated, Marc Horne is certainly something different. He frequently writes great passages which grab the attention and dazzles you with literary pyrotechnics. He also has a great talent for coming up with some very catchy turns of phrases and quick, clever metaphors.

Unfortunately, all these great little moments have been stewed together into a horrible mess of a narrative, which judders around awkwardly and confusingly from scene to scene. The main character, who is also the narrator, offers an oddly detached viewpoint through which to watch the action - and there is a lot of action in this - since he waffles on in the same sprawling manner whether wandering aimlessly through Tokyo streets, witnessing murders or having sex. He doesn't seem to change at all throughout the book, nor is he affected by what are some rather momentous events going on around him. Events that - and this, I feel, is the greatest failing of the book - don't feel at all momentous because of the way they are related.

Make the main character a little more human and get a decent editor to help thrash some coherence into the plot and there's a rather good book in here. As it is, all the wordplay and cleverness just don't do quite enough to save this falling into the second category of this review's title.

4.0 out of 5 stars Sample only - Atmospheric and very Japanese, 29 May 2012
This review is from: Tokyo Zero: A Novel (Kindle Edition)

On the other hand, Tokyo Zero wasn't Kindle-ised particularly well. There is no cover, the chapter headings and paragraphs look almost like a text dump. There are a few sentences that don't quite make sense and a few typos such as Judge Dredd/Dread being spelled inconsistently. With a bit of proofreading and tidying up, I would give this 4.25/5 but until then, it's a 4*.

3.0 out of 5 stars None, 20 Oct 2011
This review is from: Tokyo Zero: A Novel (Kindle Edition)

4.0 out of 5 stars It's the end of the world, and you'll feel fine..., 24 Jun 2011
Sila (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Tokyo Zero: A Novel (Kindle Edition)
The first thing you'll notice about this book is the descriptions. They're magnificent. Nothing is really done in simple nouns and adjectives, it's done with a flourish. I'm not sure I can explain what I mean, but each thing that is described...Japan, the people, the buildings...is not just described, it's opinionised. Don't know if that's a word, but that's pretty much what I want to say. But this method really brings the story to life, and the country too...you'll see what I mean when you read it.

There's a good story to this...one of those Japanese cults, a Westerner with an ambiguous background as the protagonist [or antagonist depending on which way you think], and a lot of Japanese cultists who seem ordinary but are usually killers too. And potentially big killers. There are times when I felt it went too much into the history of each character...example, the main character walks into a room, meets three new people in the cult, and we're led through histories of all three of them, one by one...as well written as it is, it can get a little tiring sometimes...but that's a tiny complaint really.

And this thing is really well-written. There aren't many writers who can put sentences together like this, and move through time the way he does...there are no surplus actions with the characters, and pretty much every scene ends in the right way and at the right time...it's almost like a movie in that aspect...the only difference being the narrator, who reveals himself more through his opinions than his actions...although later in the book this flips sides and he becomes more active...if that makes sense. I think it does.

Basically, I liked this a lot.

Tokyo Zero: A Novel